• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-09-19]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Also, I've bought albums based on songs I've heard in AMVs.So, yeah, they actually CAN be promotional, particularly the GOOD ones. Of course that's not true all the time for every fan, I'm sure.

Oh, I completely forgot about that aspect of it! I have about a dozen CDs by half a dozen artists whose new albums I constantly wait for who I discovered via AMVs and who I would otherwise probably not have ever heard of.

Now, there are people who, rather than buy the CD or pay for a download at itunes or some place, will record the song off of an AMV and get it that way. I consider this pretty appalling.
Servant of the Path

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that last week's question, when posted on an anime-dedicated site, generated mostly one-sided responses, but given that ANN's forumites tend to be a bit more literate on average, I had hoped for better.

Do you mean to say that the fact that most of the forum posters did not express a more 50/50 opinion of which is better indicates that they really are not very knowledgeable about either anime or American television? Isn't it possible that the reason why the responses were so one-sided is because there really are genuine and relevant differences between the two?

As for my part, in terms of what's important to me in my entertainment (quality and depth and breadth of the stories available) on average and comparing movies to movies and television to television what's produced in America simply cannot compete with anime regardless of whether the American content is animated or live-action.
C009

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Watching Spirited Away captivated my imagination and sucked me into the anime industry, only to find a vault of master pieces that would suck me in even further. So Spirited away is where it all started.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
That means if we weight each of those 100 people as 100 viewers (100 x 100 = 10,000) then we can find the approximate number that likely watched out of the full 10,000.

....which does not accurately rates the shows, which also means that the results can be skewed, leading to false positives.

Seriously, your also forgetting views in "public" venues like sports bars and the like. If those results were taken into account, alot of Sports Programs would be raking in ratings.

Yes, we've established that the system has flaws. You've said it (at length). I've freely admitted it. It's far from perfect. Results are often somewhat skewed. Lets step back for a moment though. What exactly is your point?

The root of all this seems to be that you think the ratings for anime are inaccurate. What basis do you have for that though? Do you have some reason why anime would be under represented (such as what you mentioned about sports)? Or is it simply that you think people with boxes happen to include a smaller percentage of anime fans than there are in the full audience? That's certainly possible but there is also an equal chance then that people with boxes have an unusually high percentage of anime fans. So really, arguing that the system can be inaccurate doesn't mean a thing. Unless you have any sort of credible data or basis to indicate there are more fans than the ratings say, it's pretty silly to get all up in arms. Yeah, there could in fact be more viewers, but there could actually be less as well. Assuming the prior is just a knee-jerk reaction in response to something you like doing poorly.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:49 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

The root of all this seems to be that you think the ratings for anime are inaccurate.

Wait, what are we talking about again? I could swear that we're on a site dedicated to Anime, not the US Farm Report.
rti9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

The root of all this seems to be that you think the ratings for anime are inaccurate.

Wait, what are we talking about again? I could swear that we're on a site dedicated to Anime, not the US Farm Report.

Oh, we're talking about anime. It just seems that you don't have basic grade school math necessary to understand statistics.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:49 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

The root of all this seems to be that you think the ratings for anime are inaccurate. What basis do you have for that though? Do you have some reason why anime would be under represented (such as what you mentioned about sports)? Or is it simply that you think people with boxes happen to include a smaller percentage of anime fans than there are in the full audience? That's certainly possible but there is also an equal chance then that people with boxes have an unusually high percentage of anime fans.

That part right there. I do think that the anime ratings are skewed. Remember anime is a niche market. I think thats been accurately reflected in tv ratings and show cancelations (though people like to argue that its for whatever other reason, network issues etc)

i think those low ratings based on the Nislen system are the reason. If there was a system that took readings for every household I'd then concede. But because anime is a niche market on and off tv, I feel that the amount of people that watch the shows on tv and have the box in their house are vastly different.

If there was poll done on this website, which might not reach all box owners, I'm sure you'd get maybe less than 20-25 who watch anime and own a box. The amount that watch anime on tv would w/out the box would be greater. Just using those on this site and assuming 40,000 of the people are multiple accounts or spam bots
25/300000 isn't accurate at all. I understand that they try to take different households all over and they could get many anime fans I doubt it.

Maybe when they sell your a DVR or tv they should put in a small chip. It may take forever to get all households but I think they'd get a much larger more accurate number.

I can admit thought that my thoughts carry error. I could be wrong. But I can see why someone would think that the system carries a lot of error and skewed results. I'm not trying to get in an argument with you guys just stating my thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:55 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore:

I'm sorry but I don't think you really understand how the system works. It's a percentage, not an actual number of viewers. They aren't saying that because for example 25 people out of 1000 with boxes watch something then that means 25 people overall watched it. That would be grossly inaccurate. They are saying that if 25 out of 1000 viewers watch something then that means 2.5% of people watched something. From there, probability dictates that the larger group likely followed a similar pattern.

It is possible that your surveyed group could happen to end up with a smaller percentage of anime fans than there are in the overall population. However, if you are good about eliminating bias from your selection process, then it is highly unlikely you will end up with a massive difference. Again, that's just probability. If for example 25% of the people in a group are anime fans and I choose 100 at random, it is most likely that I will choose somewhere around 25 anime fans. It is possible I will end up with only 5 and possible I will end up with over 50, but it's probably going to be closer to 25.

Furthermore, unless there is another source with some degree of accuracy, there isn't any reason to assume that the ratings for anime are too low. As I said, the odds of ending up with a smaller percentage of anime fans in the group is equal to that of ending up with a larger percentage. That's where I kind of wonder about the people who complain about the ratings system. It's one thing to recognize that the results have a margin of error. It's another to get all up in arms over it as some do. The only reason for being irritated would be if anime was getting somehow short-changed. As I explained though, there is no mathematical basis for that assumption. What these people seem to be doing is just looking around them and going "well there seem to be a lot of anime fans around from what I can tell so those ratings must be off." it's totally baseless.
rti9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:37 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Maybe when they sell your a DVR or tv they should put in a small chip. It may take forever to get all households but I think they'd get a much larger more accurate number.

You'd be willing to give away not just your privacy, but everyone else's for more accurate ratings? Ever read 1984?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6