• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - Best Friends Forever

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
"that they couldn't possibly ever be held to separate but equal standards for "quality" of conversation... ...Men should be held to the same standard. " - Cait.

Held to a "standard" by whom? If the standards be separate but equal, than only individuals in the group would be able to hold anyone to their group standards, yes?

Personally I don't see a need for separate but equal, because these are conversations between friends, yes? I only used a real life example, because what we find in our entertainment is perhaps an extension or opposition of what we expect to find in life. I can't imagine what situation you would need to have formal standards on any of this for.

You mention you work around men and the conversations they have that you hear... but that would change the point of what we are talking about, wouldn't it? We are talking about same gender friendships, and the conversations therein. When you mix in other genders, there are other forces in play. Those guys may be challenging you directly for no other reason then that you are a woman. That isn't what we are talking, is it?
I think it may be difficult for us to walk in each other's shoes for this purpose because of a lifetime of ingrained learning and biological hardwiring. We can imagine, we can bridge, and if we are open minded be curious... but we can't actually see through another's eye.

So, about that Kyon icon... quite so, that is exactly why I chose him. Glad you don't dislike. IMHO even when joking, if the idea is a good'un it's worth exploring, and only by talking can we ever hope to bridge a gap...
DomFortress

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
We can imagine, we can bridge, and if we are open minded be curious... but we can't actually see through another's eye.
This reminds me of a scene in the original manga of Those Who hunt Elfs when Junpei the simpleminded arrogant martial artist and Ritsko the military fanatic high school girl spoiler[accidentally switched bodies. They both had a brief moment of experiencing the world as the opposite sex, and how the world expected from them as members of the genders that they belonged to]. And if it weren't for the fact that the manga series was down right crazy and over-the-top hilarious, I really wished it could be used as an example. Sad
konkonsn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
We can imagine, we can bridge, and if we are open minded be curious... but we can't actually see through another's eye.

So shouldn't we hold our media even more responsible for its portrayls of men and women since many of us use those images as a base of what to expect of the unknown?

I mean, where do women get the idea that men are constantly horny and only care about bodies? All of my guy friends respect my opinions, but media tells me that when they're all alone in their "guy circle," any convo about me will be about my body. And because I'm not there, how do I know this is not true?

I know it's not because I talk to my guy friends about this stuff. But in the same vein (getting back on topic), how many guys talk to their girl friends about her female conversations? So if female friendships aren't portrayed well in the media, it harms the male view of the female (as well a our view of each other).
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
"So shouldn't we hold our media even more responsible for its portrayls of men and women since many of us use those images as a base of what to expect of the unknown?" - Konkonsn

Very good point... And this is where I where I tend to look for a person's passion about a show. I'll prolly check out Utena, just because I've heard such passionate thinking about it. But. There has to be a balanced interest about life in a show, for me specifically to be interested in it, without someone's recommendation. Most guys know the horrors of being dragged to a chickflic, because there isn't much in it for us. On the other claw, if something is interesting in little pieces for everyone, then it can pull you in. That would certainly serve the purpose you invision. I'm thinkin' that wasn't really the point of the original article [I could be wrong there], but then threads are cool for where they take you.

"where do women get the idea that men are constantly horny" Wait? We're not? Hmmm, musta missed the memo. :crazy laughter:
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
What the..?? Yes, you've clearly uncovered the seedy underbelly of Chicks on Anime--subliminal marketing!

...must...watch...Utena...

Seriously though, I really enjoyed this week's column. I think, in the interests of time, it was a fantastic discussion. I definitely think NANA is one of the easiest female relationships to relate to, even if your best friend isn't an aspiring rockstar or an insecure guy-hopping shopaholic (sorry I know I'm oversimplifying Hachi, been awhile since I read NANA.)

That would be something interesting though if you guys ever run out of topics - the way sex and monogamy are portrayed in josei anime/manga vs Japanese society.

I'm interested you brought up SuperGALS and wish you had elaborated on shoujo friendships more, but Casey, I like how you dismissed them as "safe". It makes sense why you don;t see that kind of camaraderie in josei shows or US shows targeted at older women. I would like to see more shows about real life female camaraderie in adulthood that didn't revolve around talking about men and shoes. That was one thing I did like about shoujo manga like SuperGALS, Sailor Moon, etc.

Thanks as always for an interesting discussion, ladies!
DomFortress

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:
But in the same vein (getting back on topic), how many guys talk to their girl friends about her female conversations?
Suddenly, I was reminded of a scene from the movie Sleepless in Seattle(or is it When Harry meets Sally? I need hunt down those two movies if it's the last thing I do!), anyway the scene goes spoiler[the male protagonist was engaging in a conversation with his male friends regarding something about this woman he just recently met, somehow this got all the guys started talking about their opinions on women and all of a sudden, the whole conversation played out like a bunch of girls sitting around and discussing about men].
konkonsn wrote:
So if female friendships aren't portrayed well in the media, it harms the male view of the female (as well a our view of each other).
Which brings back to what I said about wellness in friendships, and how the concept of wellness actually correlates with the science of positive psychology.

You see, positive psychology states that "Happiness ≠ Absence of Unhappiness". Because an absence of unhappiness is only a neutral existence, where everything is in an inert, inactive state. That would be like people only acting as passersby, without them even interacting or acknowledging to one another. So what the positive psychology's trying to do, is to identify & counter a negative situation with a positive change, instead of analyzing & removing a negative influence, like the conventional psychology and medical science have been doing all this time. However, in order for us to do that, we have got to be actively engaging with ourselves and each others in our lives, and that's the Canadian teaching of wellness through active living is all about.

And besides, you've got to interact with people in order to become friends with them. Because sitting around and do nothing won't get you anywhere closer than you were originally with them. And how to from the kind of best friendship with them that will last forever will have to come after that, when we can all learn from actively engaging with one another through good and bad.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
Not to sound rude, but as I person who purchased Lucky Star volume one and has continued the rest via Netflix, I can tell others the series is more than moe. Wandee Lee and the actual life occurances are what make Lucky Star much more than simply moe.

I'll admit, I really enjoyed the food references and how the were brought about. Food is something everyone would talk about. If the cast were to only talk about moe centric events or girl talk, some people may not be able to relate to that. In a nut shell, when a show is able to have characters talk about an every day issue or common issue, the show is more enjoyable because of the reality.

As for the current topic, I've noticed this in other manga/anime as well. Obviously Negima would be on that list, but because of the high quanity of fan service and other all ecchiness, I suppose that would be expected.

I am not suprized this is more accepted today than a decade ago, times have changed. That much is certain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7