• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online Blu-Ray 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonic720

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:56 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Once again, you aren't actually engaging with arguments that have been made. You are making them up and then responding to them.

You mentioned earlier in the thread how you saw the show as misogynistic in response to Zac's comment about waifu, so I'm addressing how I saw the show around that point.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Key wrote:

And patchy_boy, while Zac, Bamboo, and a few others have been very vocal about the series going downhill in the long run, keep in mind that their position is far from a universally-held one and there are many (including me) who disagree.

The waifu stuff takes hold of this show early on and quietly strangles it to death.

I wouldn't phrase it precisely that way, but this show has no respect for women. At all.

Its not the most grossly misogynistic anime of the last few years, but its probably the one that was most disappointing in that respect.

Also, you still have not said what the issue with the execution is for you as phrased below. Would you care to elaborate more on why you feel it is executed poorly?

Fencedude5609 wrote:
I have no issue with the concept of a Kirito/Asuna romance, or them getting married.

The problem, as it nearly always is, is the execution.

@Ultimatum -Thank you for expounding upon what trouble you saw with the show more, and sorry if I was a bit too blunt in my reply. I respect your opinion, even though I don't personally see it the same way. What you said now gives me a better understanding of where you are coming from and why you feel as you do. Also, the third spoiler you mention does get explained in the show later on if you decide to watch more.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
Ultimatum wrote:
Then we get to Kirito's spoiler[marriage]. The plot grinds to a sudden halt as the spoiler[newlyweds] go fishing, get a spoiler[virtual daughter (I still don't understand how this is possible)], and generally have happy fun times while hundreds of players are getting slaughtered trying to make their way up the tower. I mean, sure, it's understandable that they'd want to take a break, but the way it was presented completely shattered the tone that had been established.

If you're going to put spoiler[marriage] in spoiler tags at one point in your post then you should probably do it in both. Wink

You explain your position well and enough and reasonably enough that I can respect your opinion, but let me offer an alternate interpretation. I disagree that the plot grinds to a halt at that point, as that business was an important part of the plot. (And you're referring primarily to episodes 11 and 12, BTW.) One of the major aspects of both series is the relationships that form between characters within the games; it's the most commonly recurring theme of both seasons, in fact. Hence the series would be remiss if if it did not spend at least some time exploring the development of romantic relationships. (.hack//SIGN also did this a bit, although its emphasis being on the different motivations that people have for playing a VR MMO limited how far that went.) And in the SAO case the incident you're talking about definitely fit into the plot, since it allowed the series to explore some other aspects of the game that it hadn't gotten to yet, such as what's going on with the characters who don't go out and battle. Had the series not included that whole sequence, I think people would have been complaining instead about those aspects being missing.

I didn't see anything illogical about how that all played out, either. Yes, the whole business with Asuna and Kirito spoiler[essentially getting a pretend daughter] was a bit corny, but so what?

On an entirely different note: Thanks, Megiddo, for those links. Those were, indeed, some interesting numbers, but I'd want to see more examples from other popular series before I'd be convinced that they mean much. But I'm not going to pursue the data angle any further at this time since I'm apparently one of the few who thinks that anything meaningful can be interpreted from that data.

ozgnp wrote:
Did anybody in the anime even consider the desperate possibility of cutting off the power to the helmets, while waiting EMTs stand ready to revive the players? Some might die anyway, but I'd imagine many more would survive.

You'd have a legitimate beef here if they were being electrocuted, but the first episode makes it quite clear that they are dying from their brains being fried by a microwave. Not much is going to be accomplished by trying to resuscitate victims in such a case. Even besides that, from both a legal and moral standpoint, I can't see such a chancy approach going over well with the families of those that did die under such circumstances.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
The problem I have with SAO is that I feel like I've missed 5 episodes inbetween each episode. The show is too episodic to me so it confuses me. I do like the visuals though so I keep watching. I just hope it gets better. I'm going to read the novel though to see if I like that better.

I also hope I can actually start caring about these characters (only been watching on AS so I'm far behind).

Well you could watch it on Adult Swim's website.

Also this series is solid enough , but kinda inferior when compared to . hack sign. Also in my opinion it was a bad choice for AS to even get the broadcast license. The series by no mean is bad, but like Moribito:Guardian of the Spirit its not very high octane for some of its viewers. would have been better to get Fate/Zero instead.

Though its a definite must get if you want to get the series unedited , though for . hack fans , it would be a rental shelf at best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

Pretty sure KENZICHI was referring to thinking that the narrative skipped big blocks of time from episode 1 to 7 and that some more filler in those times might have helped. I suppose a case could be argued there, although I thought they filled the two year gap between episodes 1 and 7 well enough.

Quote:
Also this series is solid enough , but kinda inferior when compared to . hack sign. Also in my opinion it was a bad choice for AS to even get the broadcast license. The series by no mean is bad, but like Moribito:Guardian of the Spirit its not very high octane for some of its viewers. would have been better to get Fate/Zero instead.

Except that F/Z has big chunks (especially in the first half) where not much action happens, either. Also, its painfully slow start would be a killer; remember that its double-length first episode would be spread over two episodes if it aired on Toonami. Whatever else one might say about SAO, it is not lacking in quickly delivering an involving premise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Fate/Zero would have been a much better fit for Toonami I think, but I doubt it had all that much of a push from its fans to put it on Toonami compared to SAO. But yeah, the art, animation, writing, action, and pretty much anything is far superior in F/Z compared to SAO. Just look at this fan-made trailer/AMV (minor spoilers) and it's pretty much evident from that alone.

But again, SAO was the much talked about young adult hit anime, so it made sense for Toonami to grab SAO. Just like they'll do what they can to get Attack on Titan since it's the new young adult hit anime. Guess I'll just hope for Fate/Zero to wind up on there eventually.
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Snoozefest talkytalky Type-moon a better fit than SAO? You are smoking crack.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

On an entirely different note: Thanks, Megiddo, for those links. Those were, indeed, some interesting numbers, but I'd want to see more examples from other popular series before I'd be convinced that they mean much. But I'm not going to pursue the data angle any further at this time since I'm apparently one of the few who thinks that anything meaningful can be interpreted from that data.

What?

There is lots and lots of meaning that can be interpreted from sales data. I linked you to a thread where people spend hundreds of posts doing just that.

The problem is you are trying to use sales data to try and back up your position of SAO being objectively "good", which is emphatically not something sales data can do, and anyone who follows the data closely (some good examples being @somekindofthing, @yuyucow and @ultimatemegax) will tell you.

Sales data tells us a lot about popularity, and inferences can be made towards what sorts of shows are currently popular (but this is also a very good way to be wrong with confidence!) and various other trends in the JP Anime Disc Market.

But it tells you nothing about the actual quality of a show, and using sales data to back your position in such a way is hacktacular in the extreme.

I think its pretty disappointing that SAO sold so well, but its hardly the only show I think is terrible that sold extremely well. There are just as many shows I love that did amazing. And then lots of shows that did middling, or were abject failures.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
The problem is you are trying to use sales data to try and back up your position of SAO being objectively "good". . .

For the last time, that was never my position. If you can't get that through your head then don't expect me to respond to your posts on this subject any further (even though the rest of your post was pretty reasonable).
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
There's really no real way to talk about quality objectively.. liking a show is all subjective and personal opinion Smile Just the more something sells and the more popular it is the more haters it will attract as well.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
again, what's wrong with a dub simply being average?

There's nothing "wrong" with that per-say, but we would've PREFERRED something better, especially when it's a case of a bland and unmemorable show getting a bland and unmemorable dub. They seriously had an opportunity to improve the show's quality by truly doing a good voice production.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm really curious as to what the dub would have had to be for it to offer the kind of improvement you wanted.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Why sales and popularity were brought to this discussion?

And (rhetorical question) why people have so polarized views on this project? This show is significantly flawed for numerous reasons discussed, but yet overall is still good (just not "very good", "excellent" or "masterpiece") -- not "terrible" as many say. That would be "middle ground", but people can never let it go, as always.

(Separately aspects of this show can be rated as "terrible" or "excellent", but it is not reasonable to take just one aspect of the project is make overall rating from it. For example, I never do that. Even though I am merciless towards almost any anime, I make overall rating not by only counting seams in work of scenarists, which annoy me, but also by not denying the good parts.)
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:40 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'm really curious as to what the dub would have had to be for it to offer the kind of improvement you wanted.

Kinda suspected that he wanted the cast to have well known VA instead of people we barely know of.

Key wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Pretty sure KENZICHI was referring to thinking that the narrative skipped big blocks of time from episode 1 to 7 and that some more filler in those times might have helped. I suppose a case could be argued there, although I thought they filled the two year gap between episodes 1 and 7 well enough.

Quote:

Except that F/Z has big chunks (especially in the first half) where not much action happens, either. Also, its painfully slow start would be a killer; remember that its double-length first episode would be spread over two episodes if it aired on Toonami. Whatever else one might say about SAO, it is not lacking in quickly delivering an involving premise.

True enough about the first ep since its over 30 mins. also its slow but not moritito slow when it came to it.

Megiddo wrote:
Fate/Zero would have been a much better fit for Toonami I think, but I doubt it had all that much of a push from its fans to put it on Toonami compared to SAO. But yeah, the art, animation, writing, action, and pretty much anything is far superior in F/Z compared to SAO. Just look at this fan-made trailer/AMV (minor spoilers) and it's pretty much evident from that alone.

But again, SAO was the much talked about young adult hit anime, so it made sense for Toonami to grab SAO. Just like they'll do what they can to get Attack on Titan since it's the new young adult hit anime. Guess I'll just hope for Fate/Zero to wind up on there eventually.

Doubt it will happen now that Neon Alley is showing it. the same with attack on titan. it's highly unlikely it will get an AS broadcast.

also SAO was indeed a hit in that category over there especially to the otaku community like . hack sign , but it doesn't guarantee it will be the same here in the US since the AS fanbase are very very fickle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Doubt it will happen now that Neon Alley is showing it. the same with attack on titan. it's highly unlikely it will get an AS broadcast.

Yeah I could see that on F/Z being unlikely, but disagree on Titan especially since it fits so well and Funi has it. I could easily see it on Toonami's radar.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I'll be surprised if AoT doesn't end up on AS at some point. There's nothing specifically Japanese about the setting, it has story elements which American audiences could appreciate quite well (in a sense it could be thought of as a variation on the zombie apocalypse concept), and it has a certain kind of flair to it that I could see going over well with American audiences. And if Toonami is willing to show something like Evangelion 2.2 unedited, the graphic content shouldn't be a big issue.

While I have always been convinced that SAO could be successful on Toonami due to its gamer appeal, I think AoT's potential to be a cross-over hit is much greater. I could actually see it being a gateway title.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8