• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Durarara!! to Run on U.S. Adult Swim Network in June

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
They should seriously look up Panty & Stocking though.

This and Mitsudomoe would be good fits for their non-anime programming for people over the age of 12.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote
otakubaybay wrote:
Also, openings are cut up and the endings sped up.

That's a necessary sacrifice. AS has to fill more ad slots than an anime TV length allows. At least there's only 1 commercial break in the middle.

otakubaybay wrote:

I mean, we anime fans don't even know when DRR!! will be aired and we're likely the majority of those watching. There has been no mention of DRR!! until now when it might begin airing as early as next week (since Kekkaishi ended early this morning).

As I mentioned before, AS can acquire an anime and get it on TV all within a couple of weeks. AS probably acquired DRR!! just days ago.

otakubaybay wrote:

I'm used to it all by now and I'm glad anime still airs, but I wouldn't say anime has been treated all that "well" on TV. It still airs at the same time as reruns that have been shown a million times and infomercials. Maybe that's unfair of us to expect so much of TV stations when they can't help low ratings, but hey, I'm just stating the facts.

New eps in AS tend to air midnight-1am EST, then reruns after that. Heck, that's earlier than Madoka Magica aired in Japan! Infomercials usually start around 4am. Keeps things in perspective. Laughing
kokoro1

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Even if they add InuYasha: Final Act.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
boznia

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
New eps in AS tend to air midnight-1am EST, then reruns after that. Heck, that's earlier than Madoka Magica aired in Japan! Infomercials usually start around 4am. Keeps things in perspective. Laughing

Hell, Durarara!! itself ran at 1:25 AM on MBS. Adult Swim will most likely air it earlier than that.
kokoro1

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Even if they add InuYasha: Final Act.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_V_

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote
My God...[adult swim] is finally *back*!

They haven't had any good anime series I actually watch since Code Geass ended, fully two years ago.

(Okay, Bleach is an okay show, I know a lot of people like it; but I was never personally that invested and its so long it was hard to keep up; I think it *should* be on because many people like it and it pays the bills, but edgy adult stuff? Not since Death Note/Code Geass)

I saw the first two episodes English-dub premiere at New York Anime Fest six months ago; they were oustandingly good.

Lets hope this, THIS is the point when we turn it around.

Not just for adult swim, but that Durarara!! is enough of a hit to "prime the pump" and recruit new anime fans from the general populace. A starting point to rebuild the Adult Swim lineup around.
_V_

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
KN_guro wrote:
ADULT SWIM WILL NO LONGER HAVE TERRIBLE ANIME! Seriously the only good anime they have had in the past like 4 years is FMA Brotherhood.

Code Geass/R2? Moribito? FLCL? Blood+? Death Note? What are you stupid? I'm not even gonna mention Bleach or Kekkaishi, because I'm sure you're a hater of those shows.

Well the problem is that they don't "have" Code Geass or Death Note anymore. Granted, they've been rerunning FLCL fairly often the past few months, which is good, but its not enough, only 6 episodes and all.

Oh yeah, some have mentioned they also run FMA: Brotherhood. The problem is that its good, but for me personally it was just too much of a rehash of the original FMA; yes I know its actually very different, and yes, the original FMA was the last genuine "mega-hit" anime they had (according to ANNcast and others) but still....it felt like "hey, more FMA" instead of something new and intriguing.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Sei Yamakiri wrote:
I think some of it has to do with the amount of time that's needed to air commercials though... It seems like Japanese anime has a longer run time than American half-hour programs are allowed to have?

[as] used to have a FAQ on their website, stating this as a reason. this was also back in the day when they'd outright skip intros (Trigun, Inuyasha... whatever the hell else they used to air back then)

The only exception at the time was Bebop which used to air with full opening, ending and preview kajigger.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:02 am Reply with quote
Adult Swim, airing a new anime?? GET RIGHT OUTTA TOWN!!

Does this mean they've officially given up on Inuyasha: The Final Act?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:10 am Reply with quote
No, I don't think they've given up completely on InuYasha: The Final Act, but since it wasn't ready when Kekkaishi ended, they had to back up and punt. I believe Kekkaishi reruns will air at 12:30 a.m. for a couple of weeks, then Durarara!! will take over on June 18, giving Kekkaishi a break until it resurfaces at 1:30 a little later on when FLCL finishes its current run.

As for InuYasha: The Final Act, I'd say October once FMA:B runs out of premiere episodes. But if not then, maybe 2012??
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

Oh yeah, some have mentioned they also run FMA: Brotherhood. The problem is that its good, but for me personally it was just too much of a rehash of the original FMA; yes I know its actually very different, and yes, the original FMA was the last genuine "mega-hit" anime they had (according to ANNcast and others) but still....it felt like "hey, more FMA" instead of something new and intriguing.

You do know that it's based off of the Original manga right? Also past episode 13, the two series have little in the way of similar plots. They don't even share the same main villain. They also have completely different styles.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Back on topic, it looks like according to Adult Swim's "backdoor" schedule:

http://schedule.adultswim.com/servlet/ScheduleServlet?action=AS&theDate=6/18/11&timeZone=EST

It isn't coming on June 18th either. But it's quite possible that will be updated... If not, maybe it's really coming in July after FLCL's current run ends? I would hate to see them not finish the Demon Tamer arc of Kekkaishi or not air FLCLimax...
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote
Hope this does well, Durarara's a great show so hopefully it will gain some more love on Adult Swim.
nhjm449

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:46 am Reply with quote
Gee, [as], thanks for screwing DRRR over by putting it on after Bleach. Seeing as how a large portion of DRRR's cast is in Bleach. That was one of the major problems I think Code Geass had, because CG and Bleach were on back to back (I forget which one was on first), and you got an hour of JYB.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9