• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Deca-Dence

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire1501

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Ep 8.
Huggin may be a jerk but at least he doesn't kinkshame
That conversation between Kabu and Minato was a deliberate callback to Natsume and Fei's previous talk.
Jill rules, snuff said
Anyone had flashbacks to Spec Ops: The Line when Sarkozy was told he could "be a hero"?
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:08 pm Reply with quote
"Hugin", eh? That's one of Odin's companion ravens (the other is Munin --- I assume Hugin's crow-like companion).

Hugin is "thought", Munin is "memory".

I guess this suggests that there may be an Odin behind all this.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I know that Great Pretender isn't really about great and impressive schemes against intelligent people, but more about the characters, but even so, this last episode was better than anything from that anime.
Yes, nothing new, all very standard, but exciting regardless.

Jill is best girl, and if I understood right Minato kinda "loves" Kaburagi?
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but believes fully betraying the system is impossible and ultimately dangerous.

I doubt the show will really get into it, but opposing dismantling the system is a pretty obvious move for anyone in his position who's not suicidal. For all he know the company has a kill switch for all the heybots that they'll just flip if they ever go out of business (or some other business might buy the assets and just do it themselves). Not to mention they probably need some form of maintenance from the company and might not be able to obtain oxyone if the company goes down. The show is framing it as an ideological conflict but that's pretty insignificant compared to the unknown that would replace the company, one that would almost certainly results in their death. Katsuragi really doesn't do anything to address that.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:00 am Reply with quote
We're forgetting that Deca-Dance is just a thematic park for the cyborgs offered by the Corporation whattheirnameis. Cyborg society shouldn't crash down just because they can't be playing Deca-Dance anymore. They can offer them another solution for their leisure time also, let's remember that Deca-Dance is just hold in one part of the world -the rest is owned by other corporations, it may seem.

In any case, it'd be Tankers' society the one "suffering" the most. But, what's worse, being alone on their own, or being at the hands of some greedy corporation which see them as colourful NPCs at its best and and at their worst, hindrances for the game?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, the whole operation was genocided, reaching what would normally be the series' ending, but we actually get 3 more episodes while Natsume deals with the reality of the world.

inb4 Kabu's pet is actually not a manufactured Gadoll but an actual animal that evolved to survive in the new harsh world
VerQuality

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one consistently surprised by the ending credits? It feels like there's no way this series has 20 minute episodes. They're over in a flash. I don't often binge series, but I feel like this is one I could easily get caught up in and finish in a day. Every time an episode ends, I'm just left wanting more.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
inb4 Kabu's pet is actually not a manufactured Gadoll but an actual animal that evolved to survive in the new harsh world

Could be. In any case, I think Pipe is like the little seahorse-looking critter that the green sadist with the red mullet was torturing, except Pipe escaped. He seemed to be "training" it to catch a ball, and Pipe knew how to play fetch...

Kaburagi obviously expected Pipe to be genocided, but did they explain exactly how that works? Am I just extrapolating the chips in the cyborgs and humans to include chips in the Gadoll or did they actually say that? If they do have auto-destruct chips in them, they must be implanted at some point, so maybe since Pipe and Seahorse were apparently removed from the tank before they were grown, they possibly don't have chips (or whatever factor the Genocide command uses to disintegrate them). Or maybe Pipe would survive just from being out of range of the Genocide signal, or shielded by the Tankers' buildings.
cheshire1501

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:46 am Reply with quote
Not sure if gender dynamics apply to cyborgs or igf the writters wanted to make a point about how competent women are treated in the workplace ([exhibit 1 https://twitter.com/javitagracia/status/1301199384705671168?s=20) but everything about Jill screams "women who got demoted for being 100 times more competent and being proud of it in front of superiors"

So....if Solid Quake has a chip based system to kill all Gadolls, does that mean they have a similar system in place for humans?

Lastly, the "I liked thing how they were" argument gets repeated again. It started with "I didn't see anything wrong with how we lived", then we moved to "I'm not associating with you because you want things to change" to "I'm selling you out to the system because I don't want things to change and want the system to reward me"
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:49 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
We're forgetting that Deca-Dance is just a thematic park for the cyborgs offered by the Corporation whattheirnameis. Cyborg society shouldn't crash down just because they can't be playing Deca-Dance anymore. They can offer them another solution for their leisure time also, let's remember that Deca-Dance is just hold in one part of the world -the rest is owned by other corporations, it may seem.

In any case, it'd be Tankers' society the one "suffering" the most. But, what's worse, being alone on their own, or being at the hands of some greedy corporation which see them as colourful NPCs at its best and and at their worst, hindrances for the game?

The cyborg aren't people, they're made by the company. Or at least there's literally never been any indication that they have a life outside the game world, they even live in the ship player area.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:06 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
kgw wrote:

The cyborg aren't people, they're made by the company. Or at least there's literally never been any indication that they have a life outside the game world, they even live in the ship player area.

In episode 2 we're shown cyborgs living in "General Corporation Chimney Town" watching an ad for Deca-Dence and being encouraged to play it by one who's tried it. The players may live on the Deca-Dence, but I think that if they're not players, and they're not cyborgs owned by other corporations, then they live on the ship above the dome that's apparently the Solid Quake Corporation HQ, doing whatever else SQ is involved in to make money. Otherwise this is all a closed system where no profits can be made, so what's the point?

Btw, while I was reviewing the background on the corps, I noticed what I guess are the HQs for other corps, like the Solid Quake ship:

Nope, not suggestive at all... Laughing
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:21 pm Reply with quote
They definitely got me with that look Kaburagi gave. Definitely thought that was the "I'm not going to be returning from this" look, not the "you're dead and you don't even know it" look.

kgw wrote:

Good point, I hope that they can survive without Gadoll meat considering that not only did the kill switch kill them, but they disintegrated for good measure.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Kaburagi obviously expected Pipe to be genocided, but did they explain exactly how that works? Am I just extrapolating the chips in the cyborgs and humans to include chips in the Gadoll or did they actually say that? If they do have auto-destruct chips in them, they must be implanted at some point, so maybe since Pipe and Seahorse were apparently removed from the tank before they were grown, they possibly don't have chips (or whatever factor the Genocide command uses to disintegrate them). Or maybe Pipe would survive just from being out of range of the Genocide signal, or shielded by the Tankers' buildings.

When the system is activated they show a chip that I would presume is inside a Gadoll activating/breaking, so I would suspect they do chip each one they grow. It would just depend how they chip them. It could be done very early in their creation (at or before the egg (or equivalant) stage or after they're "born" and grow to a certain size with an injection. It could also be that the chip is genetic and created "naturally" when they grow them. Or maybe there are nanites in the pool they grow them in that chips them *shrug*

cheshire1501 wrote:

So....if Solid Quake has a chip based system to kill all Gadolls, does that mean they have a similar system in place for humans?

There were two other systems listed along with GGS; OYS & ABS (or at least that's what it looks like). Considering the humans are chipped to keep them out of the factory, it's likely there are other "features" as well, possibly related to the other two options =/

Pipe may still be alive (though I hate that kind of fake out) since he may never have been chipped. Iirc, Kaburagi found him in the remains of a Gadoll while cleaning, so perhaps he's a spawn, growth or mutation from another Gadoll and was never intentionally created.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
They definitely got me with that look Kaburagi gave. Definitely thought that was the "I'm not going to be returning from this" look, not the "you're dead and you don't even know it" look.

Me, too! At the end I was hit hard “Pipe! Nooo!” Anime cry
But! It would make sense *thematically* if Pipe was an unchipped bug, along with his buddies Kabu and Natsume, so I’m not that worried.
These last couple episodes have been great. Loved the caper feel of last ep. This one was a bit predictable. Is it just me, or did the plan go off *too* smoothly? Besides for the tip off to the authorities, which we knew would happen. I kept expecting Minato to show up and have a dramatic moment where he has to choose between Kaburagi and The System, but that hasn’t happened (yet). This episode also made it harder for me to suspend my disbelief at the danger the robot/cyborg prisoners were in, because when put in stark juxtaposition of the humans in danger “up above”, they...look like cartoony Heybots. They’re being shot! They’re dying! They have human minds/sentience and we should feel tense/sad...But...They look like broken toys.

One thing this episode did well was put a kabosh on any Kabu/Natume ship speculation. If Kabu is going to be shipped with anyone, it’s Kurenai, and even that seems completely one-sided. (Do the Heybot people even couple up?)

Very curious where the story will go from here.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:10 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Do the Heybot people even couple up?

They seemed to be in family groupings with children in the General Corporation Chimney Town we were shown, so I'd say they do (but given the wide variation in size and style among them, the little ones may just be little and not children). Which leads me back to my "how are they defining 'cyborg'" question. On one hand they describe them as if manufactured from scratch, which would imply sentient AIs rather than organic human brains (which I guess get recycled when they're scrapped either way). But if that were the case, you'd not expect them to have or need children or to grow, any more than you expect a car to grow up into an SUV. So my wild-ass speculation is that they're built on human chassis starting from fetuses which are probably created in vitro and upgraded until they reach their final size (which is not necessarily normal human size, depending on the intended function).

I have an entire (and undoubtedly entirely wrong) cradle-to-grave system worked out in my head, but it would take pages to explain, and nobody wants that. Smile
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:34 am Reply with quote
Or maybe they call them cyborgs just because most people don't make a distinction between cyborg, android and robot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9