• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Matsuri Licenses, Dubs 2 Anime Shorts From Nippon Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:09 am Reply with quote
That incident where a woman walked around carrying a sign saying "Fetishizing lolis = Pedophilia", I can certainly understand the frustration as it's a completely false statement if read by the letter. But harassing/going up their face and challenging to a fight over it is completely uncalled for as well as completely wrong.

The best response would have been if the guy had painted their own sign, reading "Lolicon = Fiction/Not Crime Pedophilia = Attraction To Real Children/Crime If Acted On", and paraded around with that sign along with her on the convention floor.

If I had been there, I think I might have done just that...Smile (of course, being 9000km away, and not really being a convention-going person, would put some bumps on that road...)
GasterTheGreat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:22 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
That incident where a woman walked around carrying a sign saying "Fetishizing lolis = Pedophilia", I can certainly understand the frustration as it's a completely false statement if read by the letter. But harassing/going up their face and challenging to a fight over it is completely uncalled for as well as completely wrong.

The best response would have been if the guy had painted their own sign, reading "Lolicon = Fiction/Not Crime Pedophilia = Attraction To Real Children/Crime If Acted On", and paraded around with that sign along with her on the convention floor.

If I had been there, I think I might have done just that...Smile (of course, being 9000km away, and not really being a convention-going person, would put some bumps on that road...)

After looking into this, I wouldn't have confronted her like that either. That's more than likely what she wanted. Now she can claim she was attacked and harassed while doing the heroic, virtuous deed of combating pedophilia. That's usually the kind of angle grifters go for. I think a more effective method would be to go to the dealer room or artist ally, buy whatever loli merchandise you could find, and just casually follow her around counter-protesting her protest. Get a dozen or so people all wearing Gawr Gura, Kanna, Klee, Wendy Marvell, the Prism illya trio, and other popular loli characteron clothing, artwork, signs, and other stuff. Make someone like that look like the lone fool for complaining about something in a community and fandom that embraces it. That's always one of the best ways of combating protesters.

I will say though going to an anime convention with the intention of causing trouble is a horrible thing to do. I hope she was ejected from the convention in the end. I can't imagine someone spending so much time, money, and effort into going to a place just to try to ruin other peoples fun.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

I'm not sure why there's confusion. You said people who complain about "woke media" are just people upset their regressive views are no longer accepted in society. So I just pointed out all those regressive views are still perfectly accepted in anime. All the concern over some YouTubers being at Anime Matsuri seemed silly to me given the kind of content we consume. Someone making a video on not liking forced diversity in the new Lord of the Rings show probably isn't as offensive as the fact half the very few black characters that do show up in anime are drawn as stereotypical caricatures. If even more popular YouTubers like Hololive Vtubers can go into excruciatingly sexual detail on their love for loli and admitting to things that would get them arrested in some countries and still get to hold events at anime conventions then we're probably fine.

...just what do you think these regressive views are that anime series are "perfectly accepting"? I genuinely have no idea what the hell you're talking about at this point.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:20 pm Reply with quote
they apparently did not actually acquire the rights to distribute the shorts digitally or physically, just to dub and exhibit them at least once

so acquiring these two years-old short films nobody knows about is probably not actually the first move in their campaign against the Crunchyroll empire
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:10 am Reply with quote
They don't have the rights? That is friggin hilarious. They basically spent the money to rush out a dub to two shorts NO ONE CARES ABOUT, only to result in what is essentially their own version of lost media.

These idiots who run this company are going to tank and this isn't the comeback some sniveling cult fanboys think it is.

This isn't going to wreck Crunchyroll at all.
chudmaru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:53 pm Reply with quote
CelestialEmpress wrote:
Which modern black characters do you consider stereotypical caricatures vs those who are simply designed to be recognizably black? I admit that I haven't watched every series that's come out every year but I don't remember seeing any major outrage on social media over racist designs, so I'm genuinely curious if I've just managed to miss some pertinent drama on the Twitter?

I saw people get really upset about Kurobikari and Krone when OPM and TPN aired. And even when they changed Chocolove's lips in the new Shaman King anime, people were still about the rest of his design and backstory being stereotypical. Chocolove might be an old character but Hiroyuki Takei still draws black people that way. He did some fanart for Into the Spider-Verse and Miles had lips like the manga Chocolove design.
TheGunheart

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
You're explaining that it exists in this post though so it has to exist. I agree that certain things aren't allowed in American media anymore, but they're still allowed in Japan. I generally don't consume any American media anymore precisely because of that kind of change. If my "regressive views" are only accepted in Japanese media, then I suppose that's where my attention will remain.

Japan will be dragged into the modern age to where the rest of the world is waiting, whether it be willingly or kicking and screaming is up to them. Whether you like it or not anime is not going to get away with being grossly sexist, racist, and homophobic forever. I hope one day you'll join us as well once you mature.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:17 pm Reply with quote
It's weird to me for white American anime fans on either side of this argument treating all of Japan as a monolith as if there aren't already plenty of mangaka and anime directors who are progressive minded or at least trying be more thoughtful in how they do things. And then you have the majority of creators in the middle who don't care about these culture wars at all and are just interested in telling entertaining stories and would look at you funny if you asked them if they were progressive or "regressive." There's tons of anime every season that aren't problematic at all and are just entertaining stories and you're not looking hard enough if you can't find non-problematic anime to watch.
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:23 am Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
They don't have the rights? That is friggin hilarious. They basically spent the money to rush out a dub to two shorts NO ONE CARES ABOUT, only to result in what is essentially their own version of lost media.

These idiots who run this company are going to tank and this isn't the comeback some sniveling cult fanboys think it is.

This isn't going to wreck Crunchyroll at all.

Yeah, we're gonna have to wait for Anime Tube to do that,

For legal reasons, that's a joke.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It's weird to me for white American anime fans on either side of this argument treating all of Japan as a monolith as if there aren't already plenty of mangaka and anime directors who are progressive minded or at least trying be more thoughtful in how they do things. And then you have the majority of creators in the middle who don't care about these culture wars at all and are just interested in telling entertaining stories and would look at you funny if you asked them if they were progressive or "regressive." There's tons of anime every season that aren't problematic at all and are just entertaining stories and you're not looking hard enough if you can't find non-problematic anime to watch.

There is no such thing as a neutral or middle ground in art. All art is political. If someone claims to be neutral in the discussion of inequality then they have sided with the oppressors. They're comfortable with the current status quo of women being background characters or eye-candy for the presumed straight male audience. They're fine with the overwhelmingly ethnically Japanese characters dominating the medium. They're fine with all the negativity and hate surrounding certain gender and sexual identities. Name a show you think is just an "entertaining story" and I'll tell you exactly what they're saying with their work.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
There is no such thing as a neutral or middle ground in art. All art is political. If someone claims to be neutral in the discussion of inequality then they have sided with the oppressors. They're comfortable with the current status quo of women being background characters or eye-candy for the presumed straight male audience. They're fine with the overwhelmingly ethnically Japanese characters dominating the medium. They're fine with all the negativity and hate surrounding certain gender and sexual identities. Name a show you think is just an "entertaining story" and I'll tell you exactly what they're saying with their work.

The "You are either with us, or against us" fallacy, popularized some years ago by a certain George W. Bush, eh?

You know, sometimes you just want to tell a story, without thinking too much into it...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:

I never said there wasn't any art that wasn't political? I said most Japanese manga creators and anime directors are not involved in this culture war battle that's entirely the creation of white American anime nerds. I would appreciate not having words put in my mouth I didn't say.
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
Name a show you think is just an "entertaining story" and I'll tell you exactly what they're saying with their work.

Tell me about the deep political subtext of Hamtaro.
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:21 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I never said there wasn't any art that wasn't political? I said most Japanese manga creators and anime directors are not involved in this culture war battle that's entirely the creation of white American anime nerds. I would appreciate not having words put in my mouth I didn't say.

That's just a term people use to minimize the improtantance of a topic. Basic human rights and marginilized groups are not just some "culture war" between nerds.

CelestialEmpress wrote:

Ritsuko Kawai has stated the message of Hamtaro was to promote non-violence solutions, teamwork, and sharing. He has since become a mascot in Thailand by protesters to protest their tyrannical government's greed and to promote kinder leadership. Hamtaro is explicity anti-facist.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/Japanese-cartoon-Hamtaro-used-by-Thai-protesters-to-mock-government
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
CelestialEmpress wrote:

Ritsuko Kawai has stated the message of Hamtaro was to promote non-violence solutions, teamwork, and sharing. He has since become a mascot in Thailand by protesters to protest their tyrannical government's greed and to promote kinder leadership. Hamtaro is explicity anti-facist.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/Japanese-cartoon-Hamtaro-used-by-Thai-protesters-to-mock-government

Teaching children about basic kindness isn't any kind of political statement.

A movement using a character in a way the creator didn't intend years later for political reasons doesn't retroactively imprint that political statement onto the original work. Like, no sane person thinks that one Mcdonalds mascot was originally intended to be racist because it got turned into a weird meme by racist trolls years later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8