• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Death Note DVD Box Set 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
That's a total misinterpretation of Carl's review. His basic point is that the show is well-made but the message it sends is irresponsible and shallow and seems to appeal to a particularly immature and increasingly common mindset among sheltered teens raised by the internet.

In fact that's an interesting point. I was pretty shocked when I realized that Light has a lot of fans. When I was reading Death Note from the very beginning I kept my distance to Light as a character, because I don't identify with his "i'm bored and this world is rotten"-attitude (which really sounds like a spoiled brat), but from the moment he started killing innocent people without a reason, every single page of the manga I hoped for him to be arrested.

In Vol. 13 the author said that he didn't really plan whether Light or L were going to die or not and those points were decided very spontaneously as well. spoiler[In the end he said (maybe someone can find the quote?) that he only decided to kill Light in the end, because letting him live would have really been too morally questionable.]

But that message clearly never reached a lot of readers. Especially in a series aimed at Teens - who tend to simply identify with the main character and not question his actions all that much - is it the responsibility of the author to really make clear what is "right" and "wrong"? Views on this might differ, but it definitely is a valid point to criticize. Nobody forced the author to included such moral issues in his work at all, if he didn't want to deal with them. So if he decided to include them, it's obvious that some people will criticize him.

rickstar wrote:

So you side against someone who is in danger because he is protecting himself. If you want to side against Kira I would suggest the immorality of killing prisoners, as was previously pointed out. I'd side with Kira because he received a power and tried to use it to better the world. He may be a bit misguided in his use of it, but many of those misguided prisoner killings were for testing purposes in order to ascertain the exact power of the death of the death note. Killing someone who is effectively out to put you away for life is not something you can blame anyone for. Actions leading to the situation, on the other hand, you can have as much blame as you think fits.

No way. Light killed the fake L without any reason to do so, just because his ego was too big. He was like "you dare to try and find me ... feel my power Twisted Evil " If he would just have ignored this one, L would have never found him or at least not that soon. That part already made it clear that he didn't try all that much to use this power to better the world, because then he would do all he could to prevent killing innocent people, who just do their freaking job x_x Light has always first thought about himself, then (a bit) about how to better the world - where he still considered only his own opinion or never ever questioned his own behavior and pretty quickly decided that he'd become the God of *his* new world. "a bit misguided" seems like quite a bit of an understatement

It's completely uncomprehensible to me how anybody could support a character like him x_x
Dune

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Then there's the irony that if Kira was real, he would probably kill fansubbers, including a good portion of those who support him.
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Quote:
The series as a whole is a vile exercise in shallow nihilism and half-baked moral ambiguity.

Well, if that's that score you give to Death Note, then what on Earth would you give Gantz?

And so what if it is a "vile exercise" in nihilism? What's it to you? You are being paid to REVIEW a series, not to launch a diatribe against it. If you cannot even pretend to be objective then leave with what little integrity you still have left.

dtm42, you obviously have no idea what real criticism is. Real criticism involves not only looking at a work's artistic merits but also taking a look at its other values as well.

And thanks to the reviewer for saying it like it is.
konkonsn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:
In fact my biggest complaint would be the utter lack of any character development. Characters are one dimensional and predictable, by the end never straying from their initial positions. spoiler[In the outset, Light briefly has some clashing morals but that is quickly resolved and from that point on he's completely devoted to his perverted cause. L is the closest thing there is to any possible internal conflict, but he eventually gets split into two lesser characters. And having Near assembling puzzles or Mello often sighted with a mouthful of chocolate is hardly character depth, nor is it particularly quirky.]

[edited by konkonsn for length]

Edit: Thanks for the Ohba quotes konkonsn which confirm my suspicions.

When I get back home, I'll give you some nice quotes to prove just how right you are. -_- Oh, it's so sad.

Maybe it's just because I'm a Creative Writing major, but when you say, "Oh yeah, L...he's one of the central characters of the story, second only to Light (and possibly Ryuk). No, I didn't create a backstory for him," you need to have some sense beaten into you.

Seriously, Ohba has NO backstory for L. He didn't even go the lazy author route and create one as he was writing. He has no idea where L came from, how come his personality is so weird, why he likes sweets, etc. It took NISIOISIN in Death Note: Another Note to even consider those topics (and personally, I think NISIOISIN's reasoning behind some of L's habits is a little out there...).

That's not even, "I'm writing for an audience of children and don't want to include complex character themes." It's poor writing at its finest.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:

That's not even, "I'm writing for an audience of children and don't want to include complex character themes." It's poor writing at its finest.

Precisely. The utter lack of any semblance of context or backstory to the main cast of the series just smacks of an utter failure of world-building by the author. If they don't even care enough to decide why characters are like they are, why should we as viewers/readers give the series the time of day? Since people have been pulling the "it's just Shounen Jump" cop-out in here recently, I'd love to know if you think manga writers like Kishimoto or Oda or Kubo have a similar lack of attention to pertinent details. (Well, one could possibly argue that certain elements of Bleach...like, say, how the Soul Society freakin' works...never get explained all that well, but that's another story. Razz) Hell, writers like Oda get perhaps too involved in creating these sorts of side details for their characters: we know that Luffy can stretch every part of his body (wink, grin), and that Buggy has a similar ability to remove every part (likewise). Very Happy And yet Ohba can't tell us why L is on the fast-track to diabetes?
DestG7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
What a horrible review, but as Zac says:
Zac wrote:
Pippin4242 wrote:
Reviews are meant to be objective

No, they aren't. They're subjective opinions.

maaya wrote:
It's completely uncomprehensible to me how anybody could support a character like him x_x

Many people like Light, because is somewhat autentic (protagonist), has charisma and it's just too much entertaining to watch, not necessary because they support his ideology.

A fragment of the Theron Martin review:
Quote:
In Light we see a classic diabolical genius, a brilliant young man who gets so wrapped up in his zealotry and self-importance that he decides he is above morality, thus failing to accept that he is turning to the Dark Side. He may be the primary character but he is also the story's true villain, an approach very rarely used in anime titles. That alone might make him fascinating to watch, but the extreme cleverness and thoroughness with which he quickly learns to exploit the Death Note to the fullest and protect his true identity also shows an impressive and involving display of intelligence, too, something not often seen in the main protagonist of anime series. (Most often the most intelligent characters are in the supporting cast.)

It's an attractive prototype (as we can see with the sucess of Light or Lelouch).

I consider the first 26 episodes of Death Note as one of the best / most entertaining / most addictive in the recent years, the last 11 episodes not so much, in agreement (again) with Theron Martin/Key:
Key wrote:
...I still think its incredible start merits including it amongst the best series of the current decade...
Dune

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
No doubt, some of the beginning plot points made the show thoroughly addictive. If the writers for the American adaptation are careful enough, they might have something truly special in their hands.

Of course, I'd be in favor of rewriting a few things...
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
Sensitive thugs, y'all need hugs.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:59 am Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
Sensitive thugs, y'all need hugs.

Seriously. Although I have gotten a huge kick out this thread. People arguing for several pages over a work of fiction never fails to amuse me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:23 am Reply with quote
1) The reviewer should burn in hell for all of eternity

2) Death Note is the most awesome manga and anime series that I have ever read and watched.

3) I will not be buying this DVD Box Set since I have already seen all 37 episodes of Death Note.

That's right, I DON'T re-watch anime, period.

Last edited by Kid Ryan on Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:49 am Reply with quote
...this thread just keeps getting better, doesn't it? Laughing
Labbes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:04 am Reply with quote
Fear Ghoul wrote:

Quote:
Wait...so if I watch 300 with my girlfriend and she complains how dumb, gory and overall ludicrous it is, she is self-centred and idiotic?

So she's watching a movie in which people get killed and complaining that it's gory? Come on, you're only reinforcing my point. What exactly about 300 she finds dumb and ludicrous is also open to criticism, depending upon whether her reasons are valid or not.

Okay, I am afraid we just view this thing differently, now that we both have made our points clear. Do you agree that we can agree to disagree? Smile
Fear Ghoul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Nobody forced the author to included such moral issues in his work at all, if he didn't want to deal with them. So if he decided to include them, it's obvious that some people will criticize him.

For God's sake. You do realize that every work of fiction could theoretically go into the morals of its characters actions, but doesn't because it leaves such thinking up to the individual. Death Note is no different and yet people seem to single it out for criticism in this regard. It's rather pathetic.

Quote:

Because they're idiots.

Quote:
Maybe it's just because I'm a Creative Writing major, but when you say, "Oh yeah, L...he's one of the central characters of the story, second only to Light (and possibly Ryuk). No, I didn't create a backstory for him," you need to have some sense beaten into you.

I can't be bothered repeating what I'm saying over and over again, so here's what I said last time:

Quote:
Not all good works of art have to intrinsically contain a great deal of character development, instead opting for the plot over character type of story. Many commercially and critically successful series such as Law and Order and CSI use such a formula whereby character development is kept to a minimum most of the time with the rare episode devoted to a single character. Cowboy Bebop is another example in the anime realm, along with Stand Alone Complex.

If you still don't get it then consider changing your major.

Quote:
Okay, I am afraid we just view this thing differently, now that we both have made our points clear. Do you agree that we can agree to disagree? Smile

I suppose that's the only way things are going to end really.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:53 am Reply with quote
Fear Ghoul wrote:
Quote:
Nobody forced the author to included such moral issues in his work at all, if he didn't want to deal with them. So if he decided to include them, it's obvious that some people will criticize him.

For God's sake. You do realize that every work of fiction could theoretically go into the morals of its characters actions, but doesn't because it leaves such thinking up to the individual. Death Note is no different and yet people seem to single it out for criticism in this regard. It's rather pathetic.

So in fact what you dislike is that some people only criticize Death Note for those reasons and not other works of fiction, who could be criticized for the same reasons? oO;
Some people might single Death Note out (for negative as well as positive feedback), but certainly not everbody who criticizes DN is part of those people, so I don't really see the problem ...
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
...this thread just keeps getting better, doesn't it? Laughing

You people are still awake? Smile

I was just intensely pissed in the moment because he was attacking the creators personally and so vehemently, expecting them to do something they had no obligation to do. His opinions toward the work are just that, his opinions.

In my view, artists who can create something, anything, that succeeds commercially are due respect for that. I've known a few professional artists. You haven't lived until you've sat over martinis with a guy who finally gave up his acting career to focus on his day job after 25 years of trying to earn enough income from his art to survive.

Hmmm... also, if something is generating this much strong debate, must be something to it, right?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10