• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: My Hero Academia Character Gets Name Change Following Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:32 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:
making levity of Unit 731 is unironically as low as you go as a human being. I lost all respect for the author, personally.

I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt he wasn't purposely trying to be be crass, only that he probably read the room very wrong. A lot of American comic characters borrow names, powers, and origins from wars and tragedies all the time. He could have been trying to emulate that like he does for other things in American comics. The main difference is Japan and China have always had a tenuous relationship at best over topics like this so it was obviously going to be a lot worse than how DC and Marvel both have super villains named Holocaust.

Well said, and I agree completely.

in a different topic captain_bunny posted:
Quote:
Part of me thinks that Horikoshi did know what he was doing. Not out of ignorance but trying to have the reader understand how awful this villain is

If this was a deliberate reference than that seems like the most likely explanation by far.

But he doesn’t own up to that in his apology? He said it was only coincidental and it was not a deliberate reference. How can someone be given the benefit of the doubt if they are lying to you?
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:54 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

But he doesn’t own up to that in his apology? He said it was only coincidental and it was not a deliberate reference. How can someone be given the benefit of the doubt if they are lying to you?

Because whether or not he lied in his apology is a totally distinct question from whether the Unit 731 reference was deliberate or coincidental.

I'm not calling him a liar; like I posted earlier in the topic I was previously leaning to it being a coincidental reference, but after learning about the potential shiga connection I'm not so sure anymore. At this point my knowledge of the nuances of Japanese, as well as how his naming conventions work in MHA, aren't good enough for me to feel comfortable forming an opinion one way or the other. So, in the event that the reference was intentional I feel that he wasn't trying to offend or insult, rather he was just trying to bolster the evil feel of his character and made a poor judgement in the method he chose to do that. If that was the case I'd rather he owned up about it and used it as a talking point to educate, but hey, I'm not in his shoes and that may not have been a reasonable possibility. I'm sure he is facing a ton of pressure from his publishers and a bunch of other related parties too. I don't think he did, but I must admit the possibility that his apology was less than truthful.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:27 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:
making levity of Unit 731 is unironically as low as you go as a human being. I lost all respect for the author, personally.

I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt he wasn't purposely trying to be be crass, only that he probably read the room very wrong. A lot of American comic characters borrow names, powers, and origins from wars and tragedies all the time. He could have been trying to emulate that like he does for other things in American comics. The main difference is Japan and China have always had a tenuous relationship at best over topics like this so it was obviously going to be a lot worse than how DC and Marvel both have super villains named Holocaust.

like dude, they have a good reason to have tenuous relationships.

like the problem I have with a lot of anime fans is they feel like Koreans especially are overly vindictive about this. Like they seem to blow things out of proportion in regards to this or the comfort women issue. I even used to be one of those people that thought "damn kind of whiny over the past."

BUT, once/if you go down the rabbit hole about Unit 731 properly, you might come out with shades of Shinobu Sensui imprinted on your personality.

I feel like comparing him Shinobu Sensui is some kind of wacky exaggeration that feels more an attempt at comedy than anything else.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:41 pm Reply with quote
not really dude, reading extensively about Unit 731 and the Holocaust years ago made me a rather misanthropic and unfeeling individual. In the sense, I don't believe in any genuine goodness from humanity anymore given the depths of evil I have witnessed. I don't really blow anything out of proportion but can wholly understand why people seem to take those topics as seriously as they do. As in, even a JOKE or pun about it is not funny.

That's why we love Zankyou no Terror, no?
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:08 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
not really dude, reading extensively about Unit 731 and the Holocaust years ago made me a rather misanthropic and unfeeling individual. In the sense, I don't believe in any genuine goodness from humanity anymore given the depths of evil I have witnessed. I don't really blow anything out of proportion but can wholly understand why people seem to take those topics as seriously as they do. As in, even a JOKE or pun about it is not funny.

"In the sense, I don't believe in any genuine goodness from humanity anymore given the depths of evil I have witnessed."

Yes, yes the world is filled with genuinely evil people & happenings. No reason to go all hopelessly nihilistic regardless, its not a good mindset.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

"In the sense, I don't believe in any genuine goodness from humanity anymore given the depths of evil I have witnessed."

Yes, yes the world is filled with genuinely evil people & happenings. No reason to go all hopelessly nihilistic regardless, its not a good mindset.

Different people and experiences? I've also personally never really known any love or compassion in my entire life either. I know intellectually it's not a good mindset, but if you have met one of those people that perpetually seem sad beyond comprehension and love to be pitied and fester in negativity, I was one of them. These days I am more outwardly restrained but I am almost never happy.

It's pretty OT and not something to be necessarily explored here, but when people ask if there is good in people in the face of sin, I always ask them what it is.

I love my dark history and criminal profiling and would say Unit 731, in general, ranks at the top of most evil shit right next to the likes of the obvious and lesser known like Pol Pot's regime and Junko Furuta incident.

That's why I love anime. It's a reflection of my old ideals and innocence in the face of cold reality. And one of the few things that *ever* makes me smile.

Last edited by cookiemanstah on Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:32 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

Different people and experiences? I've also personally never really known any love or compassion in my entire life either. I know intellectually it's not a good mindset, but if you have met one of those people that perpetually seem sad beyond comprehension and love to be pitied and fester in negativity, I was one of them. These days I am more outwardly restrained but I am almost never happy.

It's pretty OT and not something to be necessarily explored here, but when people ask if there is good in people in the face of sin, I always ask them what it is.

That's why I love anime. It's a reflection of my old ideals and innocence in the face of cold reality. And one of the few things that *ever* makes me smile.

Like, you are aware that anime is created by human beings and doesn't just spring out of nothingness, right? The fact that you enjoy anime and that you're even here, in this space conversing with other humans is pretty proof-positive that you don't really believe what you're saying.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:41 pm Reply with quote
You can dislike most humans by default and be civil. I know there's the crowd that like to lash out and harm others but I'm not keen on that at all.

And yeah, I have tremendous respect for animators by default since they work to make people like me happy. That's the definition of a good person and why I word "misanthrope" selectively. I don't hate *everyone.* I'm just super distrusting and reserved.

On the topic in relation to that: If an author turns out to be something like a war crime denier or racist, I will turn against them ASAP considering that fits my definition of illogical evil. It's why I'm observing the author of this work right now. I was on the verge of trying out MHA per good word of mouth but I am on the fence now.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Children throwing a tantrum, but it actually influences creators. Scary.
And people say that 'this isn't censorship'? Go on fooling yourself if that makes you feel any better.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Props to Horikoshi for realizing the name was offensive and changing it.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
And people say that 'this isn't censorship'? Go on fooling yourself if that makes you feel any better.

I don’t agree with the people who outright harassed Horikoshi about this, but I don’t think everyone who was upset about it was just being childish. There were likely many who were affected, either personally, through family, even through society, from the chemical testing, and in this instance the name itself just doesn’t seem worth it, especially if he was never even intended to invoke those memories or be connected to unit 731.

Not every instance of censorship has to be treated as bad.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Now hopefully they can work things out and resolve to get the ban lifted.

Because the ban has no actual point anymore.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
Sherris wrote:

I don’t agree with the people who outright harassed Horikoshi about this, but I don’t think everyone who was upset about it was just being childish. There were likely many who were affected, either personally, through family, even through society, from the chemical testing, and in this instance the name itself just doesn’t seem worth it, especially if he was never even intended to invoke those memories or be connected to unit 731.

Not every instance of censorship has to be treated as bad.

Maybe, but having your feelings hurt is definitely not a justifiable reason for censorship.
If a work of fiction makes you uncomfortable - stop consuming it. The whole thing is looking more and more like a medieval witch hunt, which speaks more about the people who get involved in it rather than about the creator.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
Maybe, but having your feelings hurt is definitely not a justifiable reason for censorship.

It's less about feelings and more that they still want the Chinese audience to give them money. That's usually why companies apologize and do what they can to appease China. They're hoping they'll be forgiven and the series will be made available for sale again there.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
Maybe it's a coincidence but they'll NEVER apologies properly because doing so would require admitting that they committed crimes.
Nothing that may hurt "their glorious honor".

I think you're way off. They don't want to admit wrongdoing because people will ask for reparations. Fairly recently a country was asking for reparations from Germany for WWII, and hey, they probably were owed some... except they were paid reparations decades ago. Countries, just like people, will use shit like this as an endless ticket. Also, considering almost all of the fighting age WWII generation are dead, people probably don't want to be on the hook for actions they had nothing to do with.

I can't say pride has no impact on this, but it is basically all about the money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9