• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Higurashi: When They Cry GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sepherest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
grgspunk wrote:
What the...? I know the anime was released here, but I didn't recall hearing anything about the manga being translated into English...

It was featured in Yen Press (a monthly manga collection like Shonen Jump) for the first three issues or so, but I heard that it was recently removed from it since the first volume's out.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:07 am Reply with quote
Taiyz wrote:
I don't get why it's being labeled as the harem genre here. In anime, can a guy not have female friends without there being an agenda?

spoiler[Only two of the girls are actually openly attracted to him.]

Half of them are much younger than him to boot...I'd say it's more of a case that they look at Keiichi as more of a big brother figure.

The "harem" definition is something I've wondered about myself. I've always thought about it as three or more characters(just two would be a triangle) actively attracted to the main character usually with all of them living together or in close proximity to each other. If there's lots of pretty girls or boys but no multiple romantic element I would describe it as bishoujo/-shonen. So I would agree with the description of HIGURASHI as bishoujo, but not harem. Anyways, I read the manga HIGURASHI and so far I'm liking it more than the anime. Somehow, for me, horror works better in manga format rather than in anime.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
billybob300c wrote:
Does anyone know when the second season of When They Cry will come out in English Dub? Also, good review. This series is probably one of the best horror type animes currently out there.

It all depends on whether FUNimation or some other company see a reason too license it. I think Geneon can still license it, but FUNimation would distribute it. I guess we can hope. THe second season was really good to me, so hopefully the demand is high enough.
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
Panda Man wrote:
billybob300c wrote:
Does anyone know when the second season of When They Cry will come out in English Dub? Also, good review. This series is probably one of the best horror type animes currently out there.

It all depends on whether FUNimation or some other company see a reason too license it. I think Geneon can still license it, but FUNimation would distribute it. I guess we can hope. THe second season was really good to me, so hopefully the demand is high enough.

Depends on sales. The dub is terrible so that won't have any attraction. Also most Americans aren't fans of suspense horror.
UnknownBeast

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
kefkaownsall wrote:

One, what is up with points three and four?
Two, http://forums.[This URL is a known Fansub Distribution website]/showthread.php?p=866846
here's some translations.
Or just google if the censor thinks the link is to something bad. It's just an [this is a bittorrent site] thread

1. It's an internet joke. >_>;
2. Is AS the site ? The translation for Higurashi barely reaches half-point just for the first arc. Plus, the people doing it are putting it off to help translate with the Umineko no Naku Koro ni team. You'd better off playing Umineko VN if you have finished both seasons of Higurashi. Again, if you haven't, don't even try it since it has heavy spoilers for the second season.
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
UnknownBeast wrote:
kefkaownsall wrote:

One, what is up with points three and four?
Two, http://forums.[This URL is a known Fansub Distribution website]/showthread.php?p=866846
here's some translations.
Or just google if the censor thinks the link is to something bad. It's just an [this is a bittorrent site] thread

1. It's an internet joke. >_>;
2. Is AS the site ? The translation for Higurashi barely reaches half-point just for the first arc. Plus, the people doing it are putting it off to help translate with the Umineko no Naku Koro ni team. You'd better off playing Umineko VN if you have finished both seasons of Higurashi. Again, if you haven't, don't even try it since it has heavy spoilers for the second season.

Man I hate the censor but besides that, Umineko according to wikipedia will be made into in anime. Dunno if that'll be good but since the same guys who did Higurashi did it, it'll probably kick ass.
Also why don't visual novels come to the states. They'll sell if Phoenix Wright is any indication.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
kefkaownsall wrote:
Panda Man wrote:
billybob300c wrote:

Depends on sales. The dub is terrible so that won't have any attraction. Also most Americans aren't fans of suspense horror.

Actually, When They Cry is doing better than you would expect. And if Americans aren't fans of suspense horror, why do we have os many that get released/made here in the US?
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Panda Man wrote:
kefkaownsall wrote:
Panda Man wrote:
billybob300c wrote:

Actually, When They Cry is doing better than you would expect. And if Americans aren't fans of suspense horror, why do we have os many that get released/made here in the US?

I don't think the dub's so bad since I've heard worse, but that's just me, and there's always the subbed version. I for one can only hope that they may license the second season, because that's where the real story happens, even explaining how it is the characters keep going through narrative resets, all leading to a breathtaking finale where you genuinely root for the characters. While the first series is more or less self-contained, if you watch the second series you'd truly be blown away. And I'm so glad this manga got a good review. As long as Yen Press keeps rolling out the volumes, if Funimation/Geneon by any chance whatsoever never does the second season of the anime, the manga should continue where the first season left off
The Risky Penguin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
grgspunk wrote:
What the...? I know the anime was released here, but I didn't recall hearing anything about the manga being translated into English...

It was featured in Yen Press (a monthly manga collection like Shonen Jump) for the first three issues or so, but I heard that it was recently removed from it since the first volume's out.

Actually ran for 6 issues to finish the first volume. It made me so sad that they took away my favorite (I'm a huge Higurashi fan) but they are replacing it with Hero Tales which is cool cause it's done by Hiromu Arakawa (I'm also a huge FMA fan too). Anyway yen plus did do a interview with Ryukishi07 in the December issue that might be interesting if your a fan like I.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
The Risky Penguin wrote:
Sepherest wrote:
grgspunk wrote:

Actually ran for 6 issues to finish the first volume. It made me so sad that they took away my favorite (I'm a huge Higurashi fan) but they are replacing it with Hero Tales which is cool cause it's done by Hiromu Arakawa (I'm also a huge FMA fan too). Anyway yen plus did do a interview with Ryukishi07 in the December issue that might be interesting if your a fan like I.

I'll probably read Hero Tales. I noticed Yen Plus seems to be more of a demo magazine that gathers data and cycles through manga to help gauge book sales.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the review for Higurashi and I agree - whether or not there is any attraction between Keiichi and the girls, in the beginning the series looks like it's going to be just another harem. That's what's great about it - the fact that it's anything but and how quickly this series switches gears. I had this series recommended to me and I'm glad I watched the anime first. I don't like harems and if I hadn't seen that opening scene in the anime, I might not have stayed tuned through all of Keiichi's hijinks with the girls. Glad to see Yen Press bring over the manga, I will definitely be grabbing a copy.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
There's some off remarks, since it isn't a harem show, or bishojo really, but still it got a good review, and as a fan of Higurashi, toting my Rena Avatar on the forums along with me, I'm pleased with the review, I haven't read the graphic novel version, but I'm waiting for FUNi's box set of the first season and doing a little wishing dance for season 2 Smile
Taiyz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
kefkaownsall wrote:
Panda Man wrote:
billybob300c wrote:

The dub is terrible so that won't have any attraction.
Really? I mean REALLY? I was quite happy when Theron's opinion matched my point of view in his review a while back.

Quote:
The most notable sound feature, which carries over exactly into the English dub, is the frequently-present chirping of the cicadas that give the series its name. The intensity of their sound in some scenes strikes an ominous tone. And we can't forget those nicely icky sound effects in the intensely graphic scenes, either.

Given all the young-sounding girls' voices in the series, and how they can dramatically change their vocal style and speaking tone in certain scenes, one might have expected this to be a tricky English dub to do. Bang Zoom! Entertainment has proven more than up to the challenge, however, as they have produced an effort which even sub fans should appreciate. Every significant role is appropriately cast and performed in a style sufficiently close to the original that there should be no significant complaints. The quality can especially be heard in the performances of Rena and Mion/Shion, who can startle with the abruptness of their respective characters' transitions from playful into Scary Mode. These are not the gimmicky performances you might hear from a lesser dubbing studio. The English script also stays fairly close to the original, except for correcting one factual error about the name of a playing card that crept into the subtitles.

I found the dub to be almost a perfect English recreation of what I experienced in the Japanese version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Taiyz wrote:

I found the dub to be almost a perfect English recreation of what I experienced in the Japanese version.

Yeah at first the dub made me cringe, but I think it was a good recreation, it just sounded so strange in English since normal people don't really talk like that, and the famous spoiler[USODA!!] scene that I've watched in English was badly done with ticked me off, but I'll have to watch it again. Though I feel for the most part the spoiler[ switch between cute and BLARRGH! Particularly Rena's "I don't know" in the garbage dump was excellent]

Though I have gotten used to the voices, I still feel for the best scary effect I would have to go for the Japanese audio, though sometimes I might not want to be that scared!!

I'm thinking about buying the graphic novel, though I'm not sure my wallet will love me for it Embarassed
Panda Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Taiyz wrote:

I liked the Dub too. Though some parts were weird, I still enjoyed it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3