• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: Anime's 7 Most Destructive Heroes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote
lesterf1020 wrote:
My favorite destructive hero is the super powered duo "Love Pheromone" from Akahori Gedou Hour Rabuge. Their motto is "Anything can be done in the name of justice!" They cause so much indiscriminate collateral damage every time they go out that everyone (the police, the criminals and the hostages) run for their lives whenever they make an appearance. They don't understand why it is not OK to level a city block to catch a panty thief and as a result of all the massive collateral damage the local population actually considers them super villains much to their annoyance. Many super villain groups envy their capacity for wonton destruction and apparently most of Japan's national debt comes from repairing all the damage.

I was a little disappointed that they got snubbed out of the ranking, but considering that Akahori Gedou Hour Rabuge is practically unheard of in the Western world, I can't really blame Gia for leaving them out.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Also, IMHO the Dirty Pair should be number one on the list, as they are the most destructive—see the conclusion of Project Eden: spoiler[They cause an entire planet to be overrun with hostile monsters, and at the same time destroy the source of the material necessary for faster-than-light travel, upon which humanity depends.]

Agree with doc-watson. Dirty Pair is the only one known beyond a SINGLE PLANET for their wanton destruction, also, they are known AS the "Dirty Pair" BECAUSE of the destruction they cause (and in fact hate that nickname as much as Ed hates being called short). Really, DP should win purely on the basis of "scale". (also, the A-Ko, B-Ko combo should've made the list)
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
what and no mention of Miss White Devil of Magical Girls herself Nanoha Takamachi I mean come on she's a walking nuke of Pink befriending.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Maniac Mansion

Oh wait, Playboy Mansion. (Because y'know........ they're legal!)

Wasn't that in an anime once? Laughing
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
Wyatt wrote:
Uhm, and Ideon is where? Tetsuo, Chise from Saikano, Getter anything, Kazuma from sCRYed, GaoGaiGar, Gunbuster, Diebuster, Bokurano....

I haven't seen the others, but I concede that the Buster Machines in Gunbuster and Diebuster (Gunbuster 2) are more destructive than Kei and Yuri, though it's generally targeted, deliberate destruction—not collateral damage, as with most of the characters on the list.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Wyatt wrote:
Uhm, and Ideon is where? Tetsuo, Chise from Saikano, Getter anything, Kazuma from sCRYed, GaoGaiGar, Gunbuster, Diebuster, Bokurano....

I haven't seen the others, but I concede that the Buster Machines in Gunbuster and Diebuster (Gunbuster 2) are more destructive than Kei and Yuri, though it's generally targeted, deliberate destruction—not collateral damage, as with most of the characters on the list.

I can't speak to Diebuster specifically, but from my recollection, Gunbuster did not destroy ANY of the property it was supposed to be protecting (which is the implied point of the list: "collateral damage"). I think giant robots in general are exempted because the scale changes and you're just dealing with an entirely different situation. There's a bunch of characters that (for example) knock over a display in a store, that's the equivalent scale to a giant robot crashing into a building. Most of the characters on the list match the giant robot SCALE of destruction in much smaller bodies.
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
If Train and Sven are being listed given their occupation, then it should really be City Hunter: Saeba Ryo and Makimura Kaori. If the destruction wasn't caused by them directly then it was indirectly from the people (foes and friends) after them. Furniture, windows, doors, walls, sidewalks, buildings, factories, entire industrial complexes, women's lockerooms, lingerie, cars, boats, ships, planes... militia armies and a high body count (injured or killed).
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:
Wyatt wrote:

I can't speak to Diebuster specifically, but from my recollection, Gunbuster did not destroy ANY of the property it was supposed to be protecting (which is the implied point of the list: "collateral damage").

It's been pointed out before in these discussions that we were not reading the list's definition correctly, so I acknowledged what was actually said, rather than what was implied. Technically, spoiler[creating a (giant?) black hole at the center of the Milky Way] is the most destructive event perpetrated by the heros so far mentioned (though it was entirely deliberate, and necessary, give the options that the heros' side had).
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Many mecha shows seems to be quite destructive, although it's usually the bad guys that do the damage.

Western superheros (especially the Hulk) often do a lot of damage when fighting villains. Seriously, the economy of any city that had a superhero would be ruined with the amount of property damage.
Wyatt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
If we're talking collateral damage, there is nothing but nothing that outdoes Ideon, spoiler[considering they accidentally the whole universe at the end]. Yes, really. (That's par for Tomino until he procured enough happy pills to make King Gainer.)

Okay, depending on how you read it, Getter might get close. Bokurano is disqualified because it's deliberate.

In Gunbuster, Jupiter is a pretty big planet, and I think they end up destroying a lot of allied ships with Buster 3. And they rigged Exelion into a bomb, before that.

Diebuster, spoiler[The "bad guys" they've been fighting for centuries at the beginning were really the good guys all along. Whoops. But while they were willing to do it, they were actually prevented from sacrificing Earth.]

sCRYed...depends. Is "caused the extinction of the dinosaurs" collateral damage? (not really a plot point so hopefully not spoilers).

GaoGaiGar they destroyed all kinds of crap. Like spoiler[all the moons of Jupiter. And the sun]. And the dinosaurs. Again.

Tetsuo and Chise (Sad) are the lower end of what I came up with.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I honestly thought Pikachu would be on the list, for example, to save the gang from a virus when they were stuck inside a computer to save the pokemon stuck in the Pokemon Center Transfer machine, Pikachu had to use thunder bolt on a a giant shot that was chasing them, not only did it destroy a building and the machine, but he gave over 500 Japanese kids seizures. Destructive in the anime and outside the anime.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
Western superheros (especially the Hulk) often do a lot of damage when fighting villains. Seriously, the economy of any city that had a superhero would be ruined with the amount of property damage.

See Damage Control. Razz
oblivious247

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Well the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann throws galaxies like shurikens, I think it wins in the destruction department.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

That's live action. Are you paying attention to what you're posting? O_o
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3