• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-06-17

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chibi Buizel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I liked that girl until she started controlling Kevin.

But I can't believe she committed suicide...
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Chibi Buizel wrote:
I liked that girl until she started controlling Kevin.

But I can't believe she committed suicide...

Here's some things I learnt from Sunrise; a character isn't dead if you don't see the lifeless body, especially if they don't get a Big Tragic Death Scene. Characters who "die" are often brought back due to strong fan demand or simply lazy writing, no matter how unavoidable their "death" should have been. Lastly, though Word of God can confirm a is character dead, Word of God can also resurrect the very same character.

In other words, she ain't dead because we didn't see the body, and even if we did she could still come back if we really wanted her too, and even if Robin told everyone Megan's dead Robin can subsequently make her not dead.

In other other words, don't assume she's dead, cause she's not.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I took the "BUWHOOOOO" sound effect to mean the ambulance siren, and ambulances don't use the siren if the occupant is deceased, so she was alive when leaving the convention.

Edit: typed the wrong word.

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I took the "BUWHOOOOO" sound effect to mean the ambulance siren, and ambulances don't use the siren if the occupant is deceased, so she was dead when leaving the convention.

That doesn't logically follow. If we accept your assumption that the siren is only used when the occupant is alive, and the siren was on, then she was alive when leaving the convention.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Fixed.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Here's some things I learnt from Sunrise; a character isn't dead if you don't see the lifeless body, especially if they don't get a Big Tragic Death Scene. (snip)

In other other words, don't assume she's dead, cause she's not.

You mean BTDS after we flashback through their life story so we see how they got to the point of dying.
Anton Chigurh wrote:
Is it wrong that I never quite hated Miaka? She was delusional and the "relationship" was going nowhere worth going, but she never struck me as an out-and-out villainess.

The best never are.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:05 am Reply with quote
Nice one. I used to be a FY fan as well. Eventually, it hits you how badly-written much of the show is, but by that time you're too invested (both emotionally and financially) to stop watching. Still, my memories of it are fond ones.

The dinner plate incident is just the opening shot of FY boneheadedness. There is much, much more material that could yet be mined, if Robin so chooses.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

The dinner plate incident is just the opening shot of FY boneheadedness. There is much, much more material that could yet be mined, if Robin so chooses.

I agree completely. I didn't hate Fushigi Yuugi but by the time I had gotten through, I was really unhappy with some of the things that it did.

Good job going for the older show, though. Its a bit wry-er, I think. Anyway, I didn't get the impression that she was dead from reading the comic - so....reoccuring character? :D That'd be exciting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6