• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids CEO Honored

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trident

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Seconded. As much as I dislike what 4Kids does to anime, you must admit that this guy is good at what he does. Did you read the article? He was apparently the driving force behind several major cultural phenomena. How many of you used to play with Cabbage Patch dolls (or at least knew someone who did)? How many of you have gotten into anime because of Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh? He is good at what he does, and what he does is NOT satisfying every otaku's deepest desire for uncensored, quality anime.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and just so you all know, my congratulations to him was an honest one, but so was my knock at their "production" quality. I'm sure Mr. Kahn is a rich man indeed to this point.
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quote
The anime community is so ridiculously insular and reactionary its disgusting. The replies in this thread were predictably pathetic.

Its not like he's mutilating high art, people. He's marketing toy and card game commercials, and doing a pretty good job of it. So let it go. For the love of God, not everything that isn't just absolutely perfect is an assault on the "community".
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:28 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Oh yeah, and at least they're having a few uncut DVD releases now too, but they've still got a lot of ground to make up if they want to make fans past the 6 and below demographic. Razz

That's just it: they don't care about any mature anime fans, which is why they're 4Kids. From what I can tell, the only reason why they released some of Yu-Gi-Oh and Shaman King uncut is because there were some hardcore fans who whined about it.

And yes, it's true that Pokemon was the gateway into anime for a lot of fans. (I not only started watching anime after it, but also playing video games.) In the end, it was probably good for the anime market for them to put out those popular shows, but you can still complain about the butchering.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
Wait, there's a licensing hall of fame? What an exciting exhibit that must be. Rolling Eyes
Pandaguy87

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:57 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
It's just a business award, not a "preservation of artistic integrity" award, so don't get yer panties in a bunch.

Pandaguy87 wrote:
But the worse thing 4kids has done, IMHO is.....

Not releasing Samurai Pizza Cats on DVD. I miss that series so much /_\

That was Saban, not 4Kids, and it's unclear if Saban even still has the rights.

Awww /_\ Does Saban even still exist anymore?
R.G.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

at least they're releasing uncensored dvds now.

Which no one's buying.
R.G.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:20 am Reply with quote
sinistertaco wrote:
The anime community is so ridiculously insular and reactionary its disgusting. The replies in this thread were predictably pathetic.

Its not like he's mutilating high art, people. He's marketing toy and card game commercials, and doing a pretty good job of it. So let it go. For the love of God, not everything that isn't just absolutely perfect is an assault on the "community".

sinistertaco,it's so refreshing to read a sensible post.I agree with everything you wrote down.

Me,I don't mind what 4kids does with any anime properites as long as it's entertaining and enough of the original is maintained.

Besides,Voltron (or should I say Go Lion) was more butchered than Yugioh and Shaman King combined could ever be.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:35 am Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
Besides,Voltron (or should I say Go Lion)

Or, to further drive home the point, you should say Go Lion, Dairuger and Arbegas. Got to love the 80's and the compilation titles of old. Now that's something that wouldn't fly today. Wink Could you imagine the reaction today if, say, Naruto was released in the US as a sequal to Dragonball Z?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:09 am Reply with quote
Personally, I just dislike the fact that the whole deal is just promoting making profits off of liscences. Not just anime, but *any* foreign show being liscenced. I mean, yes, you *do* need to make at least some money off it, 'cause it's kinda hard to live without it in this country, but you don't have to sacrifice just about everything that makes it a foreign film in exchange for a higher profit.

In other words, I'm not ripping on 4Kids here, but just expressing my dissappointment in the whole thing. Money isn't a bad thing, but, well, the love of money (i.e. greed) *is* the root of all sorts of evil.

-_- I think that people should let themselves be exposed to more than just their specialized area. The people handing out the award are obviously focused purely on the business aspect, a brief perusing of their website gives the impression that's all that they bother with. If your job is mathematics, spend your freetime with art. And if it's art, educate yourself in the basics of the sciences and such. Every human being ought to know how to handle more than just their little line of work- as said once by Heinlein, "specialization is for insects".
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:27 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
Personally, I just dislike the fact that the whole deal is just promoting making profits off of liscences. Not just anime, but *any* foreign show being liscenced. I mean, yes, you *do* need to make at least some money off it, 'cause it's kinda hard to live without it in this country, but you don't have to sacrifice just about everything that makes it a foreign film in exchange for a higher profit.

Forgive me if I'm wrong (which I'm not), but most of the shows 4kids have aquirred and localised were originally intended and shown as child marketting devices. That's the ulterior motive of most Shonen Jump/Sonic/etc Anime, and 4Kids, more than likely along with Shueshia etc work to expand the success acheived in non-English speaking countries into English speaking ones.

Ultimatly, good for him. he deserves this award because I beleive he is a very, very good businessman with an excellent sense of timing and taste for what kids want.

And to an earlier poster, in regards to what kids think about Japanese culture etc, most kids honestly don't give a flying shit if the show is Japanese or not, so why not take as many liberaties as you can?
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:36 am Reply with quote
The problem with that is, though, that it continues to perpetuate the myth that "animation is for kiddies". Some of the "kiddy" anime has some very mature themes and lessons to it. The only reason for editing all of that out that I can see is out of fear that it won't be accepted and thus won't make money. However, with the exception of a few series (such as Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh), the shows *aren't* usually well-accepted in their edited formats. Even from a business perspective, wouldn't it be more logical to try airing something with more of its original content, since the edited versions *do* fail a majority of the time? (Digimon never really took off here, Escaflowne was cancelled very quickly because it just doesn't work to edit that, "CardCaptors" obviously didn't last all that long, look at what happened with Shaman King... not all necessarily done by 4Kids, but all suffering from heavy editing)

...there's also the issue of *why* these shows do become popular. And I honestly don't think it's because it's dumbed-down for the kiddies, I think in the cases of Pokemon and YGO it's because you *can* still get a sense of the original story even through all the editing. Which again, if that's the case, how much more popular would it have been if it hadn't been chopped to pieces....?
R.G.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:19 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
R.G. wrote:
Besides,Voltron (or should I say Go Lion)

Or, to further drive home the point, you should say Go Lion, Dairuger and Arbegas. Got to love the 80's and the compilation titles of old. Now that's something that wouldn't fly today. Wink Could you imagine the reaction today if, say, Naruto was released in the US as a sequal to Dragonball Z?

Emerje

That would be impossible since Naruto isn't done in the artstyle of Akira Toriyama.

BTW,I did not mean to exclude Dairugger XV and Light God Albegas,but Go Lion is the series most identified with Voltron.
Izlude

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:17 am Reply with quote
Meh, I'd rather see Funimation score that award.
Toboe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:41 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
The problem with that is, though, that it continues to perpetuate the myth that "animation is for kiddies". Some of the "kiddy" anime has some very mature themes and lessons to it.

Is it time for the "I'm insecure about being 21 and watching Pokemon so I'm going to call it 'mature' because in one episode Squirtle insinutates that his mother died" argument?

Little kids know about things like death and abandonment. These are issues virtually every kid's show deals with. Hell, I learned about dealing with grief when I was 6 watching Sesame Street. Just admit it: you like a children's show. The Japanese version isn't some masterful adult drama, it's a children's show. There isn't anything wrong with that, but don't try and justify it by insinuating that somehow the American companies are taking out all the "adult" material. There wasn't any to begin with. Heck, I watch "Recess" sometimes in the mornings, but I don't go on message boards and discuss how the episode where the kids lose a soccer ball is actually a college-level treatise on our under-funded public schools. Most cartoons are for kids. Some aren't. That's how it is. Deal.

If you insist on maintaining that argument, though, I hear "Roly Poly Ollie" is actually a very taught political drama, Disney just cuts out all the stuff about welfare reform.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4