• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dance in the Vampire Bund (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:46 am Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:

I do hesitate to assume that spoiler[Yuki and Mina are buddy-buddy like they said to each other. I feel like Mina is just playing her. Will be interesting to see where that goes....]

Well, I don't think this this is really a spoiler but spoiler[she's not. They really are best buddies now. It's too bad this is 12 episodes because there's a few funny moments later with those two]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
Holy brigade leader, I did not guess that was Kugimiya as Hysterica, I might have to go back and check it again, I am usually pretty good at picking it up.

For some reason this episode felt really good, and I am quite enjoying the route for the next arc. spoiler[Having the student president fight against her own monsterous urges, and how she cares for that kid, and retaining her human nature. Mina also has some responsibility her her transformation so that is also a good part of developing Mina.]
Niomo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Holy brigade leader, I did not guess that was Kugimiya as Hysterica, I might have to go back and check it again, I am usually pretty good at picking it up.

Yeah, I didn't pick it up either. The voices I hear from Rie are usually small girl lolis like Tiaga and Nagi.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:
As for the art, yeah, definitely. I swear, its like SHAFT outsourced episodes 1-7 to some other country and then went "Oh crap, we need to actually do work now!" and created 8, and made it awesome.

Definitely, outsourced to Ahmed Khalili Laughing

I definitely like Mina's seiyuu work more and more. Switching between completely different tones, showing the real nature of the queen of vampires... Even if the show is obviously not the best thing since sliced bread, she should get praise for this role.

The cross scene was niiice. Actually one of the better scenes of this season. Even though it's clear that they should hire some people to fix the rest of the episode... is this their new way of marketing? "Watch the first half for free, buy BD to get the second half." Confused

I'm also one of the people who didn't recognise Kugimiya Rie as Ms. Evil Eyebrows (aka Ineffective Trap). Who knew that she can also switch to the standard female villain voice...

On a side note, I wonder if there's a reason they use "vampire" instead of the usual "kyuuketsuki"? Maybe it just sounds cool to Japanese ears.
Niomo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:

On a side note, I wonder if there's a reason they use "vampire" instead of the usual "kyuuketsuki"? Maybe it just sounds cool to Japanese ears.
\

Is Kyuuketsuki the literal translation of vampire? I feel like they wouldn't have had that word back when japanese was being created...though again they can add words over time lol.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I won't pretend that I'm an expert in Eastern mythology, but I'm sure they've got their own "blood sucking demons", which would be the literal translation. It might be for distinguishing those from the "high" vampires depicted here, though since I haven't seen the manga, I can't really say.
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Ghm. This episode had some surprises. Not bad though. It looks like the real action's only getting started (though I don't like the look of the generic sly bad guy with an eyepatch).
Niomo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
Ghm. This episode had some surprises. Not bad though. It looks like the real action's only getting started (though I don't like the look of the generic sly bad guy with an eyepatch).

why? spoiler[he just wants to see his finance...and possibly kill her :3]
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote
His finance? Understandable, given the current economic situation Razz j/k

No, I mean, the keyword is "generic". It's actually what bugs me a lot about this show. The original material is really nothing special, and no one would have paid much attention to it if it weren't for Shaft's magician director and the cast. They obviously have to stick with the designs from the manga (I bet that guy is from there), and they make me feel like I've already seen it all somewhere before.
Same with this Hysterica. I mean - her character design is on the level of Cruella DeVille (and I would argue that the latter was more influential and less derivative), so if it wasn't for her seiyuu and the animators, she would only gather facepalms from the audience. Plus, they have missed an opportunity to have a nice flashback and make her demise more touching. Right now it's just an afterthought, and the burden remains entirely with Vera.

I'm not saying it's bad, but it's just not on the same level as his other works. Maybe I'm already waiting for Arakawa and expecting great things from it...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Well 9 was better then I expected, especialy since it took so long for a sub to come out. Did anyone else like spoiler[when Akira turned into wolf form to catch the train, I thought it was pretty awesome.]

Some interesting moments like spoiler[Akira's friend suiciding,Mina riasking her life for student prez and kid and Mina letting prez turn kid, are we meant to "true love" or something as a reason?]

At least we didn't really get much or any naked child Mina in this episode, it can be a bit distracting.
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
^Well then you'd better brace yourself for a "purity inspection". Well, they did omit everything, unlike the manga, so no worries.

This last episode was marred by a pretty obvious setup... I hope someone kills the heads of the Three Clans for being too cliché.
But at least there was some action, and the assassins were a tad more imaginative...
Ah, new season can't come soon enough.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Well 9 was better then I expected, especialy since it took so long for a sub to come out. Did anyone else like spoiler[when Akira turned into wolf form to catch the train, I thought it was pretty awesome.]

Some interesting moments like spoiler[Akira's friend suiciding,Mina riasking her life for student prez and kid and Mina letting prez turn kid, are we meant to "true love" or something as a reason?]

At least we didn't really get much or any naked child Mina in this episode, it can be a bit distracting.

The casual sexuality of Mina makes some sense. Vampires are thought of in a number of literary and media sources to be beings who are sexually expressive who are not afraid of violating what is perceived to be the norm in human society. In the case of Mina being a centuries-old vampire, she's not afraid to take advantage of her seemingly young appearance by being in suggestive attire to make a "normal" thinking person uncomfortable when they are around her and uses this at some points of the series to tease Akira and intentionally make him feel uncomfortable. But if anyone's keeping up with the manga, you may know that Mina has a big reason for why she takes on the form of a child made obvious by the upcoming developments in the anime.

spoiler[Shotacon class prez, on the other hand, kept giving me squick vibes as I couldn't buy the fact the boy she cared for and everyone else could easily buy into her feelings and find them acceptable considering he's just a pre-adolescent kid before being turned by her.][/spoiler]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Niomo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
^Well then you'd better brace yourself for a "purity inspection". Well, they did omit everything, unlike the manga, so no worries.

This last episode was marred by a pretty obvious setup... I hope someone kills the heads of the Three Clans for being too cliché.
But at least there was some action, and the assassins were a tad more imaginative...
Ah, new season can't come soon enough.

They only omitted things because Funi is in charge of distributing it. It was in one of the press releases about how they weren't going to censor "everything"

Apparently any time we get too close to a female body (clothes or no) we get the "LOL BRIGHT WHITE LIGHT FROM NOWHERE" slashing through our screens.

Anyways, that aside, this episode was good. I'm glad to see that the show is picking up a seemingly good plot.

Although I do have to laugh. This is the same plan that Mina used back at school. Whoever catches Akira wins. If he escapes, she wins.
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:40 am Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:
we get the "LOL BRIGHT WHITE LIGHT FROM NOWHERE" slashing through our screens.

And its cousin, LOLSMOKE.

Though I'm questioning the reason of this censorship, really. I suppose it's all about images taken out of context, because currently I'm watching Goshujin-sama (He Is My Master), where the ages of the girls are explicitly stated (as 14 and 13), and guess what, it's an ecchi show.

Besides, that, Mei Ren isn't bad after all. And yeah, it seems to be the same plot, though Mina breaks a little too easily under this kind of pressure.
The Dreaming Void

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
Besides, that, Mei Ren isn't bad after all. And yeah, it seems to be the same plot, though Mina breaks a little too easily under this kind of pressure.

true, you would think the queen of the vampires would be able to stay calm in a situationg like that...what would she do then if the bund were invaded? (bad example, but hey, it works)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12