• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Senkou no Night Raid (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote
(OT: I've just started watching Desu-2-brigade and I'm like "Oh yeah, now I remember where I saw JesuOtaku's name before...on ANN...why am I so slow!?")

Confusing but interesting first episode. I don't know that much Mandarin but from the little I do know, even I could tell it was like "what the hell are they saying?" I liked the spy music a lot though. It was like, Baccano-awesome style spy music. A bit confusing for a first episode but entertaining, I'll give it that. Plus, anime-original's are always a good thing.

Oh, and HA-HA-HA-HA!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
.Are you sure that still makes sense? Even if he is Japanese, he shouldn't sound it given his occupation.

Aoi is a spy. If his Chinese was atrocious he would stick out like a sore thumb. I really enjoyed the episode, it was hands down my favorite show this season (okay, maaaybe tied with Heroman,) but I actually thought it was erroneous to give him a bad Chinese accent. He'd be caught instantly!

I'm personally not sure if he's really supposed to be a "spy." If he's supposed to be able to do long-term infiltration and as as a Chinese, then yes, it's a problem.

If his "cover" is a Japanese Criminal or something, then it's not a problem.

If he has no cover and just does "black ops" then no, it's not a problem.

Quote:
There's a moment where he and Kazura have to walk through the enemy camp disguised as soldiers, making small talk in Chinese while other recruits are brushing up against them, and that's definitely not a place where you want to sound Japanese! Laughing

I forgot about that. I'll have to re-watch that segment and focus on that. It might change my opinion. Alternatively, the plot hole might be with that scene, and not the character "design."

-t
hakojo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Everyone who's said that this show is heavily reminiscent of GitS wasn't kidding - the first episode lines up pretty smoothly with the first episode of SAC (action sequence, team exposition session, other action sequence that showcases what the characters do without outright explaining it, insert shakycam where necessary, etc.) I wasn't surprised to find out that the director of this worked on both seasons of SAC, and apparently he directed my absolute favorite episode, so that's a good sign.

Anyway, back to the anime on its own merits; so far, I love the style of it. The art is really nice, and it's got that 'understated cool' vibe that usually pulls me into an anime right away. The CGI bits are also very well integrated into the backgrounds and cel-animated parts, which is always nice to see. The incidental music and ending theme aren't doing much for me at the moment, but that's a minor thing. I'm interested to see where this goes.

Also, I don't even speak Chinese and I could tell that the accents were awful Razz It's obviously unrealistic, but I guess it would have been harder to find good main character actors who spoke both Japanese and Chinese fluently, so I guess I can forgive them that.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm not buying the "Look! They must clearly be Japanese because the Chinese is so bad" reason. I really need to brush up on my history here, but weren't the Japanese and Chinese already on tense terms at the time? And when you throw in that they're doing back alley deal, yeah, would not want to be advertising I'm a foreigner.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:40 pm Reply with quote
tarheel91 wrote:

The whole concept sounds something like a Japanese version of the WWII movies that are so prominent in the West. If research done for this anime is as pathetic as most of the research done for most WWII movies, things really could go badly.

However, as I said before, I remain optimistic that they will handle this correctly. I really hope they do, as the setting lends itself to some very interesting situations (with the discord within China itself providing a lot of it).

I present to you the worst case scenario

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo_Gōmanism_Manifesto_Special_-_On_War
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
So at long last I finally got around to watching the first episode of this... only to discover there is no second episode yet?

Because of course my concern is the same as everyone else's, how are they going to handle the potentially volatile historical situation in which this tale is set?

At least from the first episode, it's clear that this is really before the Sino-Japanese ware; you have multiple groups, both native and foreign, vying for control. But obviously this is the time period when the pieces were coming into play for the future catastrophe. And depending on how long a history the story spans, it could run itself against real problems in the future.

I obviously hope that it won't take a hyper-nationalist stance, and that hope takes some support from the character of Aoi, who seems rebellious and cynical enough that he could be the eventual anti-war voice in the series, questioning what it is that he and his fellow super-spies are doing.

In other areas, the animation and music are excellent, the action scenes are well executed. The super powers might not be truly necessary, but they are definitely cool and give the possibility of an alternate timeline (where they stop WW2 from ever happening and save millions of lives?). As for the characters, other than Aoi and Kazura, they hardly got any screen time and were utterly bland. It also somewhat irks me that the one female member of the team, Yukina, is depicted as a klutz who can't even get out of a tree without falling. Tsk tsk tsk! The Major would be ashamed of you!

And lastly, boy howdy is that Chinese bad. It's not just that I took a semester of Chinese, I volunteer at a preschool with the children of foreign students, and this sounds nothing like how "M" and his mother speak to each other. You can argue that the Japanese characters shouldn't speak Chinese well, but when spoiler[they beak into one of the faction's camps, their covers would be completely blown]!

Speaking of which, how much Chinese involvement was there in this production? I know they got Chinese actors, but did they get Chinese input on the story? That could make a world of difference.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
We have war movies all the time over here, where we kill us some fictional Germans, Vietnamese, Japanese, French, British, and Russians. I don't see what the big deal with this series is. It's just fiction and entertaining at that.

I'm also wondering where the heck episode 2 is at. Confused
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:58 am Reply with quote
Someone teach me how to use AegiSub... Or better, wake up some of those groups, they're missing one of the best shows of the season.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote
Well finally.

Love this show. Ah, how I love the moments when they explain what scheme the spy used Razz But the fights are great, too.

They actually hired a native speaker for the violinist part, nice (even though a somewhat younger voice than the character); they tried to make him sound old-fashioned, but in the end he sounds like he's reading a text. Points for effort though. The translators are getting it wrong in places, too, but I'm nitpicking Rolling Eyes

As to the preview - don't tell me they've got their own Mao here?..
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Just saw eppie 2. Sorry, but to me it was a snoozefest. I assumed this show was going to be relatively action-oriented. Apparently, not so much.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, could episode 3 be the tip of the main plot? Or are we gonna have an arc? I don't want that to last until the last episodes, but that's completely biased, as the story has the potential. So far this show is doing pretty well in my book, and it's become one of my top 5 from this spring.
Rij

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I just watched episode 4. Still liking this show.

Going back to some older points, I don't know a word of Chinese and only about a dozen words of anime-Japanese and I could tell that the Chinese spoken by the Japanese characters is off. But their Russian and German sounds just as horrible. Doesn't really bother me, beyond the camp-infiltration plothole. At least they actually have people speaking on foreign languages, which is really rare in any form of TV entertainment. Seems like the world is changing, there are even American movies nowadays where foreign languages aren't replaced by bad English.

I want to know more about the limits/rules of their powers. We know that Aoi has some kind of time limit and that Kazura needs something to focus on before teleporting. Are Yukina's flowers some kind of limiter too?

On episode 4 spoiler[Aoi and Kazura have a disagreement about Japanese involvement in Chinese internal affairs] which should satisfy those who're worried about the political and historical issues.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Totally agree with you hakojo, I'm really enjoying this so far and you hit on a lot of the high points that I've really liked as well especially on the sweet production values. I love the character designs, they also remind me a bit of Baccano's designs at times, and in addition to what you already wrote much of the background work is quite gorgeous too.

Yeah, that's true, I definitely felt some nice influences from SAC and I love that series.

It's nice to see Darker Than Black may have kicked off a little return to some spy-style drama/action shows, so hopefully there will be some more.

I agree with you Rij, especially in an "international" show like this having them go through the extra effort to have the characters speaking multiple languages and the main characters even switching between several languages on the fly adds a neat extra layer to the setting regardless of how good they are at it. Kind of like how it was neat in Blood: The Last Vampire that Saya could switch between both, added to the feel of her character even without getting any backstory in the OVA itself.

The only thing I'm worried about is that this might only be as long as the previous Anime-no-Chikara show, and this could probably work best with atleast 26 like SAC for this type of espionage show, especially to do everything I'd love to see them do in this show, so much nice potential and I'm enjoying it so far.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Subs are out for episode 5 and spoiler[while the main plotline still seems to have yet to make an appereance, members of the Communist party and the Chinese National Party did make an apperance and I hope that they're major players later on as well.]

Oh, and episode 7 aired (the one that was going to be streamed only, but it sounds like the recap episode on TV did show some new stuff as well) and, from what I've read, spoiler[the Japanese were shown to be behind the Mukden Incident so that's why it wasn't aired.] Exciting stuff!
Mister V

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm almost outraged. This is one of the most unusual and entertaining (both because of its historical background) shows in a couple of seasons, and the fansubber groups seem to be ignoring it, or at the very least giving it very low priority (same thing with the two noitaminAs).

Otherwise, the storyline has to progress somewhat, because for now we only have general clues and our league of extraordinary gentlemen is on the periphery of the action. If Mukden is in 7, then there will be quite a lot of changes for our heroes. I like the fact that there are no black and white portrayals, either (they can do something very interesting with the conflicts of that period).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3