• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Clarifies Status of Its Sola License

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Two American companies holding the license to the same show at the same time? That's gotta be a pain for releasing on DVD. What a face palm moment.
ScrappedAeon

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I hope Sentai dubs it just to be a dick
Pandadice

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I hope they both dub it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Uh...okay. For those who are more familiar with the anime biz/history, how is it possible for two R1 distribs to hold a license that allows them to release on DVD the same show?
ZenErik

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
That's just weird...

I am also wondering how it is possible. It's kind of amusing though, considering that Sola probably isn't that big of a seller anyway..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
To put it mildly, that response didn't clarify shit
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
So.....how is that clarification when now I'm even more confused? Confused
bayoab

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Uh...okay. For those who are more familiar with the anime biz/history, how is it possible for two R1 distribs to hold a license that allows them to release on DVD the same show?
Assuming we are eliminating the "One is mistaken/Announcing something that they don't have yet" possibility, I don't think there is even precedent for this. (Well, maybe GITS:SAC release based on stories I've heard but I have no idea how much of it is true so I won't repeat it.) Actually, this could be a BD/DVD rights split since it says "a license" and not "the home video license" or "the DVD license".

Juhachi wrote:
Guys, guys, this doesn't change anything. Bandai has been sitting on Sola for over 2 years now, and Sentai is going to release the box set in August. If Bandai wants any profit out of this deal, they'll have to release the box set before Sentai does, but seeing as how they haven't done that in 2 years, it's not going to happen.
Bandai already released the sola set long ago (And for less than the sentai set).

Last edited by bayoab on Mon May 24, 2010 9:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Juhachi

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Guys, guys, this doesn't change anything. Bandai has been sitting on Sola for over 2 years now, and Sentai is going to release the box set in August. If Bandai wants any profit out of this deal, they'll have to release the box set before Sentai does, but seeing as how they haven't done that in 2 years, it's not going to happen.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Juhachi wrote:

Yes, they have...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
If I remember right, Bandai (visual) licensed True Tears, Shigofumi, and Sola at the same time.

Is it possible that Shigofumi is bundled with Sola? And Bandai just ate the cost of Shigofumi but continued to release Sola... and then Section23 wanted to release Shigofumi, which was bundled with Sola soo... both companies paid for the bundle and hence both having Sola?

Bleh, this is way confusing.

Last edited by Megiddo on Mon May 24, 2010 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Schaef Dogg

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Juhachi wrote:

I think that's Shigofumi your thinking of. Bandai released sola last September.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Sola is awesome. very underrated. I just found the price for 15 episode was too much...and judging off what sentai's been pricing their stuff at ...I'm gonna guess it will be still too much. sentai's will probably be more in fact, which might prompt me to get the bandai version
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
It seems very illogical to release a series that someone else just previously released recently and still owns the license to. Most people who would buy the series probably already got the previous release. Makes me greatly question Sentai's strategy on how they do business.
ScrappedAeon

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Sola is awesome. very underrated. I just found the price for 15 episode was too much...and judging off what sentai's been pricing their stuff at ...I'm gonna guess it will be still too much. sentai's will probably be more in fact, which might prompt me to get the bandai version

Well RightStuf is sadly listing Sentai's version as sub-only

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/qSPl25SYPHPoMMNCFv/browse/item/88389/4/0/0

So I'd go ahead and pick up Bandai's, unless you want to hold out in hope of it being dubbed and just listed as sub-only.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4