• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: NHK Radio Show Lists Top 10 Anime Heroine Finalists

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Not a very representative list. The poll must have only been available on moe otaku sites.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Not a very representative list. The poll must have only been available on moe otaku sites.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-11-15/nhk-radio-show-holds-anime-heroine-no.1-popularity-vote

Thats where it was from. It was being sponsored by one of the biggest Japanese TV stations through their radio station. It also had commercials for it on the TV station itself, so it wasn't only limited to otaku.

http://animecalendar.net/

Plus as you can see here, NHK doesn't even carry late night anime... so their viewers are not really representative of your average "Otaku". The shows they are airing this season are Bakuman, Ginga Kickoff and Kingdom, all daytime shows.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-11-15/nhk-radio-show-holds-anime-heroine-no.1-popularity-vote

Thats where it was from. It was being sponsored by one of the biggest Japanese TV stations through their radio station. It also had commercials for it on the TV station itself, so it wasn't only limited to otaku.

http://animecalendar.net/

Plus as you can see here, NHK doesn't even carry late night anime... so their viewers are not really representative of your average "Otaku". The shows they are airing this season are Bakuman, Ginga Kickoff and Kingdom, all daytime shows.

wow. that's really sad.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
The list could be worse. I once got into an argument with someone who seriously argued that Taiga Aisaka, Kanade Tachibana, and Cirno were all more "influential" than Lum Invader, Usagi Tsukino, and Oscar François de Jarjayes.

I have to wonder just how "heroine" is usually defined in Japan. I guess the meaning used here is "female lead"?

HyugaHinata wrote:
I'm behind Homura all the way. spoiler[Unlike Madoka, she sacrificed an immeasurable amount and is easy to symphathise with and root for.]

spoiler[Madoka literally sacrificed her entire existence, including her happy family life, any possibility of ever resting in the next few thousand years, and any chance she'd be remembered. Homura never had anything to lose; Madoka was all she ever cared about.]
Meygaera

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Some how Yui dosnt fit in some how

HAHAH YA DON'T SAY???

I was thinking the same thing, since this is a list of "heroines"

Melanchthon wrote:
List fails without Nausicaä.

Word.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
wow. that's really sad.

Basically, these are almost all characters that go beyond just the realm of otaku. Evangelion, Madoka, Haruhi, K-On and Nanoha have had big popular theater movies. Idolmaster was the killer app for the Xbox 360 in Japan, and anytime a new game comes out, it tops the sales charts for the week. Card Captors was one of the most popular kids shows of its era. Bleach is a very popular Shonen Jump manga that is in the top 10 selling manga almost every year. The only one that might not have the mainstream appeal of the others is Misaka, but even she is gonna co-star in the Index theater movie coming out next year. These aren't just a bunch of obscure characters only otaku like.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

maybe you list your options first. I bet this would be still a better list.
This list is more of a mainstream list.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Character polls are almost completely biased to recent or hyper-popular series that refuse to go away, even if they're awful, like SEED.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Character polls are almost completely biased to recent or hyper-popular series that refuse to go away, even if they're awful, like SEED.

http://i47.tinypic.com/bfl8h2.jpg

Seriously, even almost 10 years later, Kira from SEED is still at the top of the male character rankings in Newtype. He just won't go away.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:54 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

maybe you list your options first. I bet this would be still a better list.
This list is more of a mainstream list.

If you think you are insulting me by this remark, I'm sorry to inform you that you are completely off the mark.

*sigh*. This is not about the characters on the list. It's about the fact that nothing but the last decade or so is represented in a poll that is supposed to go back as far as the 60's. I guess you don't think of anime as a form of "art" like I do, but the fact that only recent stuff made the list is kind of indicative that the fans view this stuff as disposable entertainment. This is a real shame, IMO, since it probably means that a lot of the older stuff, especially cel animated shows will be left to degrade or be completely lost.

For example: In Shawne Kleckner's recent announcement for Princess Knight he remarked that Nozomi's release will be the dubbed version only since the original transfers were nowhere to be found. Polls like this one bolster the idea that the older stuff is not important enough to preserve in any way. --If the fans don't care, why should the industry?

We made this mistake here in the U.S. too, realizing our negligence way too late for any successful restoration of many early animated films. In this respect, I give a lot of props to those fansubbers who concentrate on the older, more obscure, cel animated shows.
--oh, and I give BIGTIME props to Mr. Kleckner and Discotek, who are at least trying to rescue and restore these works. These people may be the only means of preserving these works by subbing, digitizing and restoring older cel animated series that otherwise would be left to rot.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:14 am Reply with quote
I'm actually glad to see Rukia, she's fantastic and I never dreamt of seeing a Bleach character in any top ten considering how its popularity has decreased in the past two years. My vote could be easily split between her and Sakura. Though, imho the list automatically fails without Fairy Tail's Erza Scarlet
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 am Reply with quote
Well, like the NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Top 50 this ain't. Laughing
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I guess you don't think of anime as a form of "art" like I do, but the fact that only recent stuff made the list is kind of indicative that the fans view this stuff as disposable entertainment.

And whats wrong with this? For me personally, I don't rewatch anime. Never have rewatched one since I see very little value in watching something I've already seen since I know what'll happen... so just constantly focusing on one specific anime instead of watching more doesn't make sense to me. I watch like 25 airing shows at a time since I view anime as a form of entertainment that will always be there, similar to like how theres always sports to watch. I love sports, but I'd never rewatch them since they lose their enjoyment if I know whats going to happen. Theres always tons of anime that interests me that I like to watch, so I watch them all. Maybe some people care about watching the same show over and over again and get mad that some shows are different from older anime.. but I really don't care about that.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
I guess you don't think of anime as a form of "art" like I do, but the fact that only recent stuff made the list is kind of indicative that the fans view this stuff as disposable entertainment.

And whats wrong with this? For me personally, I don't rewatch anime. Never have rewatched one since I see very little value in watching something I've already seen since I know what'll happen... so just constantly focusing on one specific anime instead of watching more doesn't make sense to me. I watch like 25 airing shows at a time since I view anime as a form of entertainment that will always be there, similar to like how theres always sports to watch. I love sports, but I'd never rewatch them since they lose their enjoyment if I know whats going to happen. Theres always tons of anime that interests me that I like to watch, so I watch them all. Maybe some people care about watching the same show over and over again and get mad that some shows are different from older anime.. but I really don't care about that.

I wasn't talking to you. Besides, if you are such a casual fan, why are you always here pontificating all the time?
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I wish that this list looked further and wider. It perhaps suffers from having failed to define its criteria for 'heroine'. There are lots of characters whom I think belong on it that I'd wager barely even appeared in the ballots. Balsa from Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit is so obvious that she's been mentioned already. I think that there's also good argument for the likes of Mireille Bouqet from Noir, Sarah from Now and Then, Here and There, R. Dorothy Wayneright from The Big O, Duck from Princess Tutu, Kino from Kino's Journey, Maetel from Galaxy Express 999 and Major Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell. Hell, I'd be willing to plump for Marika Kato from Bodacious Space Pirates, Koko Hekmatyar from Jormungand and Fujiko Mine on the strength of Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine~ if they need something more recent.

RyanSaotome wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Yours seems like a brutally impoverished way to… well, to be. It also seems to inherently reject a significant part of the premise of this forum. I regret, even if I cannot avoid, being insulting, but you always seem frustratingly nihilistic, as though you purposely, defiantly have no inner life or deeper nature, just a soulless desire to line up at the feeding trough and suck in as much of whatever slop gets poured down as you can. It just seems so hollow, unsatisfying and joyless. It’s a perspective that I fail to understand and, if I may be unpleasantly honest, struggle even to respect. Even though you ask, “what’s wrong with this?” just how defensive you become whenever its raised suggests that you feel intuitively as though there is in fact something wrong with it.

The school of thought that treats anime in some sense like ‘art’ isn’t about rejecting entertainment or backwards-looking fixation. Some things are just fun and that’s an entirely good reason to enjoy something. There’s no artistic depth to Project A-ko, but I’ve watched it four or five times. Even things that people treat ‘artistically’ are fun, because thinking about these shows and our opinions is satisfying and entertaining in its own right, which enhances the value of whatever we’ve watched. The other time that I recently lurched back to life recently was because thinking about Princess Tutu inspired me for a moment. Thinking about that and writing that, even if it’s wrong, was joyful. I was excited and enthusiastic to have a new thought and idea. It felt like it validated my having watched the series and enriched that experience, making it more than staring at a screen for eleven hours. (Even writing this is more about address the question of why I feel as I do than just slagging off on somebody, I wouldn't have felt any desire or interest otherwise... I'm actually a bit giddy as I write this)

I think that you’re really wrong about why people watch older anime over again and how that affects them. There’s a recent study on ‘reconsumption’ that I think might be important here (moreso in present context than the otherwise more important essay on American Kludgeocracy). The study found that going back to what one has already experienced can really be rather forward-looking. Some of it is going back to something familiar for a ‘sure bet’ to get some satisfaction, but it can also be to reveal or emphasize changes in identity or thought, finding new meaning as a way to realize how one has changed and grown, even to deal with difficulty. I’ve watched and enjoyed several new or recent series. I watch a lot of older series, some new to me and some old friends. Watching Noir nine years ago and watching it last year were satisfying experiences, both on the merits of the series and because it was interesting to recognize how my perception had changed. (For one, I had somehow totally missed the yuri subtext back then) It’s not about vintage, but about the actual qualities of things. There are a few sad creatures who seem to reject things because they are new, but most of the people whom I see attempt to be critical aren’t such unfortunate mutants.

It’s also about spreading the good word. The long ‘reviews’ that I’ve emitted aren’t done just for kicks or because somebody is making me (It’d be nice if somebody were paying me, but that ain’t gon’ happen and probably shouldn’t), but because I enjoy writing it, some sick weirdoes enjoy reading it and I hope to contribute to somebody else’s experience by encouraging them to see something that I think they will really enjoy. Getting to say bad stuff about something is fun, but ultimately just a byproduct. The work of the critics on this site and certain members of this forum (the, “all the cool people,” whom I sometimes refer to as a cause to watch something) don’t tell me what not to watch or what to hate, but direct me toward things that I might enjoy or new ways of looking at things. More critical people are often those who really relish the new and innovative or different, those things that take chances or have new ideas. (I'll outsource some commentary to Anton Ego) Such critical effort has the added benefit, I think, of strengthening, even deepening the community and giving it more purpose, which has benefits of its own.

There is probably nothing truly ‘wrong’ with not thinking about anime as art. But what’s right with it? I should hope that I’ve gone some way toward answering that question for my own point of view. It's not the only way, but I think that it is a good one.

Of course, a side-effect of my approach is that I can’t seem to keep away from things that I really ought to. I give in, write one rambling post on Princess Tutu and it’s like I’ve eaten a goddamned Lay’s potato chip.

Right, back on the road to Mount Doom then.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4