• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote
There needs to be a rule for this thread: you have to use the word "FABULOUS" in all caps at least once in your post.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Here's some info as to what's going on (most of this was revealed pre-show in a pdf)

First of all,
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9620/1286209034282.jpg
http://kolbrin.com/articles/phoenicians/phoenicians.gif

The first Cybody was named Alephst, the pilot had the Aleph character on his mask.
Takuto has the Taw character on his chest, which is the 22nd and final character in the Phoenician Alphabet, and he pilots Tauburn, which the Glittering Crux Brigade called the 22nd Cybody.

Now, as to what's going on (I'm surprised people at other forums weren't able to put this together. Outside of the Phoenician Alphabet stuff, I know I did)
BrentD wrote:

spoiler[There are about 20 Cybodies under Southern Cross Island (I'm guessing around 22) and they are sealed from use by the Shrine Maidens (the women with the insignias on their chest) who each have their own Cybody as well apparently. There are five phases of sealing for the Cybodies, from Phase 1 which is completely sealed to Phase 5, which allows them to be used in the Real World.

Currently, the Glittering Crux Brigade have lifted the first seal, which means the Cybodies are in Phase 2 right now, which allows them to be piloted remotely from an "Electric Coffin" (that mechanical cockpit that Raging Bull piloted Alephst from) but they can only be controlled in the realm of Zero Time. (Consequently, while you are in the realm of Zero Time time does not pass at all in the real world)

Now Takuto, he is the only one partially exempt from these restrictions. While everybody else can only use their Cybodies in Phase 2, he can use his as if it had two seals removed (ie Phase 3) (for the time being, at least). Phase 3 allows one to pilot their Cybody directly ala Mobile Trace System, and it allows them to bring out the Cybody's full potential (which presumably includes sparkles)

Takuto being exempt from the restrictions of everybody else is the reason he is called the "Ginga Bishonen" (which can translate to Galactic Pretty Boy, Galactic Handsome Youth, Galactic Stud, Pimp of the Galaxy, etc., depending on how liberal you want to be)]
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
^Thanks for the info and helping put things in perspective.

And I demand that everyone here refer to Takuto as "The Galactic Pimp" from now on!
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Galactic Handsome Youth (or I would have said Handsome Youth of the Galaxy) sounds way better and less FABULOUS. Razz
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Galactic Handsome Youth (or I would have said Handsome Youth of the Galaxy) sounds way better and less FABULOUS. Razz
I wouldn't say it would sound better. Like you said, it sounds less FABULOUS, but on top of that, I don't think something put into that context would get that same over-the-top-ridiculousness feel to it.

Like many others have said, episode 1 was FABULOUS.(used it twice! Smile ) BONES managed to create something ridiculous and present it an such an awesome, triumphant way reminiscent of Eureka Seven's first two episodes. If they keep up that energy, it might even reach Gurren Lagann's level of epic.

garfield: Thanks for all that info. It really helped me put everything into perspective.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, garfield. Definitely makes the Glittering Crux Brigade masquerade uniforms more aesthetically pleasing to me. (And more FABULOUS.) For some reason, I really like masquerade masks.

So, I'm assuming there is a difference between having the character on yourspoiler[ mask or on your chest.] Like a difference in control or power over your mecha?
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:09 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Now, as to what's going on (I'm surprised people at other forums weren't able to put this together. Outside of the Phoenician Alphabet stuff, I know I did)

Most of AS know the score... it's just that MAL is full of hopeless idiots who want everything explained right that instant. Definitely my preferred data base site but the forums are mostly pathetic compared to AS, AOD and here.
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
So how does Bandai get around Takuto's name as the Galactic Pretty Boy in subtitles? Simple...
spoiler[They left it untranslated. That's right, he's the "Ginga Bishounen."

Honestly, that was one of the options that I figured they would consider]

Oh and he's saying "Apprivoiser" not "Apprivoise"
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:59 am Reply with quote
Super duper FABULOUS show.

Not sure if I'll stick with this one or not though. I was actually looking for a more serious mecha series, but this one could prove very entertaining.

Opening sequence was really awesome! Loved the song and the animation.

The mecha transformation scenes had me cracking up. (Hopefully I'm supposed to be laughing...)

Then, when I see Takuto standing there in that white prince-like suit, I realized this was probably an over the top show, potentially a parody.

I hope all defeated mecha in this series explode like 10 times in different places.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I really like the protagonist. But I don't the mecha design much. I expected it to be "shonen cool", but it's more like "shoujo cool", and that doesn't work well with robots it seems!

I'm liking the background art... as expected of Bones and their experience with drawing stars. It's quite stunning, to be sincere.

The villains, though, seem to be just a bunch of snobs who will hardly produce much entertainment. Except for a certain pair.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
The amount of support I see for this show confuses me a bit since I personally find it kind of annoying and don't see the appeal of it. My general to just about everything in the show is: Rolling Eyes

Anyhow, ye ol 5 episode rule applies as always so I'll at least be sticking around for a few more episodes at least.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
I'm having a really hard time getting into this show. On the one hand, I love the action scenes, but the characters are annoying, and the overall environment is beginning to turning me off. The best way I can describe it is it's like what would happen if CLAMP decided to make a super robot show. I'll give the plot the benefit of the doubt, since it's by the creator of Utena.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:33 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
The amount of support I see for this show confuses me a bit since I personally find it kind of annoying and don't see the appeal of it. My general to just about everything in the show is: Rolling Eyes

Anyhow, ye ol 5 episode rule applies as always so I'll at least be sticking around for a few more episodes at least.

And I don't get why somebody can't at least see why this show does appeal to people. Are you really lacking that much understanding that if you personally aren't grooving on a show it becomes absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for you to imagine anybody else doing so? I always find that attitude kinda narrow-minded. There are shows I don't like personally but I've never been, "zomg, this show isn't appealing to me, how can anybody else like it??? Isn't everybody's opinion just like mine???"
swienke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

And I don't get why somebody can't at least see why this show does appeal to people. Are you really lacking that much understanding that if you personally aren't grooving on a show it becomes absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for you to imagine anybody else doing so? I always find that attitude kinda narrow-minded. There are shows I don't like personally but I've never been, "zomg, this show isn't appealing to me, how can anybody else like it??? Isn't everybody's opinion just like mine???"

I don't know... as much as I absolutely adore this show, I can totally understand how it may cause some people to run away as fast as they can screaming bloody murder. The absurdity level is just way too high for a lot of people. I generally find too much ridiculousness mind-numbing too, but it seems fairly obvious at this point that much of the absurdity of it is just a metaphor for something bigger, even if I don't know what exactly the metaphor is at this point. That alone would be enough to excite me, but the visuals, the voice-acting talent, and the music (especially that insert song the mermaid girl sings...I'm going to have to track it down the moment it's released, because it's absolutely gorgeous) make it absolutely irresistible. But yeah, if I couldn't sense that metaphor lurking in the shadows I probably wouldn't like it nearly as much, though I'm sure I'd still watch it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
@ swienke - I can understand why somebody might not like Star Driver too, even though I'm a fan. But that has nothing to do with my original point which is: people who cannot fathom how somebody else could like/dislike something that they dislike/like are fundamentally narrow-minded. I wish people would break out of the, "I don't share that opinion therefore I have no understanding of how anybody could feel that way" mindset.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8