• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moderators and Moderation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Putting somebody on moderation seems more of a punishment for the mods/admins than the targeted poster. Some of us can throw up a real wall of words when we want to. Having to comb through a post like that to make sure there's nothing objectionable must just be tons 'o fun.

*imagine image of an emoticon shooting itself in the head here*
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Well generally, most users under moderation deserve to be there in the first place. I'd say about 98% of them are just spambots (spam is automatically filtered, by the way), with another .95% of them being real people that were put under moderation but never post again after realizing their posts won't show up, .05% of them being users who were somehow placed under moderation upon opening an account and needing to be un-moderated, and the rest (.10%) being GASTU and his crappy posts.

So no, it's actually not a lot of reading at all considering the one-liner nature and uselessness of the user that does undergo moderation Razz. And after a certain amount of time (I think a day?), any post that isn't approved goes straight to the Deleted/Locked/Trash thread.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I think the mods here do an excellent job on keeping the forums intact. I like that there is zero tolerance for trolls, insults towards other posters, and pointless threads. Every other forum I have gone to are terrible and always consist of flame wars, repetitive threads, and spam/pointless threads (*coughcoughGaiaOnlinecoughcough*). It feels good to know that I can have actual intelligent conversations with others instead of reading things like "oh hai gaiz naruto roxxors! sasuke is hawt LOL!!!11 spam here please! Very Happy". Seeing posts like that makes me want to shoot myself in the head. Upon coming here I was shocked at finding this place clean of such posts. I also got to meet alot of cool people and see things like pictures of anime collections.

I do feel bad for mods at times because of the crap they have to deal with to keep the forums clean. But all in all, I think you guys are fair in the decisions you make. People should not treat you like robots or like garbage when they aren't happy with what you do. I mean, you are only human and nobody in this world is perfect. And I have seen mods who are absolute power trippers on other forums and you guys are far from being like them.

I want to say thank you for all your hard work and for making this place a real pleasure to come to. You guys are awesome Mods/Admins and I really do mean that. I usually don't even donate/give money to sites but this place is an acception and I feel it is worth paying a few dollars to become a subscriber. Keep up the excellent work!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
poilk92

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say 0 tolerance... not even close. But they have 0 tolerance where it counts spammers/ complete trolls. They are pretty lax on the whole, not insulting other posters and you and I are fortunate for that Embarassed
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^And yet, if you read the PM I was sent it explicitly states that I should take it to this sub-forum. You can't blame me for feeling perplexed when I take a Moderator's advice and then get burnt for it.

Yeah, you listened to the advice, or more like misinterpreted it... - effectively grounding yourself.

If you pleaded your case more logically, gave sound evidence as to why you should stick to PMs, I get this weird feeling like you'd be taken more seriously.

Whining about an individual on a public forum like this is some juvenile shit, dude. Anyone would know that - that is, of course, unless their aim is to badger people up. There's also the fact that site staff are higher on the totem pole than you are... If that wasn't incentive to be civil when you have to prove a point, I don't know what is.
poilk92

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
This may seem like an odd question. But I am relatively new and relatively active and recently I have appearing on people's radars. I have been receiving some negative press and I was wondering who I should ask to find out if I am being a nuisance to the forums.

I guess I would like to know how many of the mods think I am a jack@$$ (hopeful I am just completely out of your collective radar)
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
And after a certain amount of time (I think a day?), any post that isn't approved goes straight to the Deleted/Locked/Trash thread.

Okay, that's inconvenient.

Can all Moderators see every post that is yet to be approved?

Once a Moderator has looked at a post but has not made a decision yet, can the other Moderators still see that the post is yet to be approved or denied?

Finally, is there any way for myself to tell if a post of mine was rejected outright rather than auto-deleted after the time limit expired? After all, the point of moderation - well, part of it - is to correct my behaviour and teach me what sort of posts are okay. Having posts that are otherwise acceptable never turn up in the forums would naturally leave me puzzled and confused as to what was wrong with them.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:00 am Reply with quote
All moderators and admins can see every post in there waiting for approval. Until someone takes action with a post it will remain in there as well, so if a mod looks at it and does nothing then it will still be in the list waiting approval as if they never touched it. It is pretty rare for this to happen though, once a mod looks at it they'll generally take care of it on the spot.

Also it is checked quite regularly. I personally check the queue several times a day and authorize the valid posts and manually removing the garbage. This is the best way to do it for a number of reasons. First pretty much all the spam you never see in the forums ends up in there, so if it's not emptied regularly the queue ends up growing prohibitively large. The more time between being cleared out the more daunting the task. Also, anything that gets moderated goes in there, whether it's because we moderated the user or the filters caught it. The system isn't perfect and sometimes it flags new users, so it's even more important to monitor regularly to catch these and fix them quickly.

As for what is rejected and what isn't. Basically, if you view your post history and the post isn't there then that means it was rejected. I don't believe there's any way besides that to be honest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
I kinda like the moderation here.

While, sure, sometimes things get outta hand, I like how clean the boards are.

I recently tried to post on a non-anime related forum and was surprised to see how everyone basically posted one liners, spamming their thoughts without actually providing any real meat to their opinions. It resulted in 15+ pages of "I'm right and you're wrong because I say so" which was really annoying. On top of that, all the topics were essentially the same thing over and over again. There was little to no diversity and everyone just posted a new thread whenever they wanted more attention rather than posting under the correct thread. It was absurd. The whole time I was there, not one moderator or admin could be found. It was really pathetic.

So, thanks, mods for taking the time to prevent our boards from becoming that mess. I'll do my best to behave on the boards because, as everyone knows... I'm one of those posters who writes a wall of text and I'd feel really bad if someone had to read every line just to see if it contained offensive content.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:
I kinda like the moderation here.
I guess that can pretty much sum up my feelings about the moderation here as well. Unlike a few other boards that I've seen over the internet, most of the mods are pretty damn active and are usually able to threads/individuals that need to be moderated, and that keeps the board pretty orderly. Sometimes, though, I do feel as though the mods overdo their moderations--ya know, they moderate things that don't really deserve to be, especially if the person being moderated didn't post with any sort of ill intent.

But hell, it's better than others I've seen, I guess.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
For me it's the knowledge that the Admins and moderators hold themselves to the same standards as the regular posters. At other anime sites you get the feeling that the mods and admins hold regular posters to a higher standard giving the wrong impression of what's allowed for them.
Olliff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I have a great deal of respect for the moderators on this site. While Tony K may claim that it doesn't take a lot of time to review posts of users under moderation, this is an extra effort that's absent from probably over 99% of the forums out there. I think the results speak for themselves. The ANN boards are very clean, and users who cannot hold themselves up to the ANN standards usually quit, face the consequences, or even change their behavior. I think this is particularly admirable because a large portion of posters are either kids or young adults that still have a little immaturity in them. However, even old fogies can fall prey to immaturity, and a few names come to mind almost immediately when I mention this.

I say usually because there a few that walk the fine line, such as dtm42. His posts obviously have a lot of effort put into them, but in a calculated sometimes not thoughtful or considerate way. I admit that I have enjoyed reading his posts over the years, but at the same they push the limits and he is obviously smart enough to know this. I also think it is amazing that ANN has the patience to review all of his posts before they are published. While it's true that he may not know for certain if a certain one his posts will be approved if they are borderline; he definitely has enough brains and common sense to write an innocent enough post that he knows no one would find objectionable. However, he chooses more often than not to walk the fine line with posts that can be seen has inflammatory but are also well mannered, and only passively or ambiguously inflammatory.

As for GATSU that guy is in a league of his own, and I personally find dtm's post to be much more interesting reads. After all dtm is a skilled opportunist, a master at reading between the lines, an effective and pathos wrenching victim, and a pro at technically doing what a mod tells him to do, but in a way that they would most likely find borderline or flat out objectionable.

When it comes down to it I think one of the main reasons why the mods have such patience for dtm is that his posts are genuinely entertaining and well calculated even when they come close to or cross the line. Others who do this usually aren't entertaining and are often just mere annoyances, who obviously could benefit from putting more thought and time into their posts. Most importantly, when you feel like you have proven that you are quite capable of producing top quality posts that contribute to the quality of the thread in an insightful, and meaningful way that's not at all questionable.

However to dtm's credit it is true that some moderators push the envelope from time to time to, but none of them have an overly consistent track record like you do. And when they cross the line, it's usually only when they are provoked or prodded.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Dtm42, a Biography, written and edited by Olliff. Now available on Kindle and in good book stores everywhere in time for Christmas.

But seriously, while I appreciate some of the sentiments you expressed, I am puzzled as to why you would actually write all that, and two weeks after the fact as well.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Not that I want to make this thread solely about dtm42, but I like what I have seen of his posts lately. It's the dtm42 I like to see: interesting and insightful without being overly obnoxious. I've commented plenty about him when I didn't like what I was reading, so it seems only fair to do the opposite as well.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be too full of praise, Blood-. You're forgetting the elephant in the room; the Moderation that I'm under. You only get to see the posts that have been signed off by a Mod, and not the ones that failed to get the tick. For all you know I could be writing ten posts a day but only two or three are passable and show up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6