• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. Movie Converted into 3D

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I've never been a fan of stereoscopic 3D things simply because... I don't understand what is supposed to be "3D" about it. I've never had noticed any effect of something 'popping out of the screen' or anything like that. This goes for that movie Avatar as well, I don't understand why that is supposedly different than any other 3D films... it didn't look any different at all. It's all completely retarded.

Why anyone wastes money on this stuff is beyond me.

However, my inability to understand what is so '3D' about these things aside, I just bought this movie on DVD last week.

It's always my luck that the second I decide to buy something, something better comes out a couple weeks later. If I decide to wait to see if something new comes out, nothing ever does... until I actually buy it.

Take Evangelion 1.0 for instance. I didn't know FUNi was going to release 1.01 a few weeks later... or else I never would have bought the first version.. <_<

Is this GITS release just for theaters?
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Ordinarily, yes, but considering we are talking about a CG-animation, shouldn't it really only require running the programs through the rending process again from a (or two) slightly different vantage points? There is no original footage in the conventional sense and the slight variation in perspective required to generate depth is hardly enough to "destory the director's vision." As long as the detailed source information is available, they should be able to re-render it again later in 4k-tactile-3d with little more than a few months of computer time.
No. While SSS, like the SAC series, had some 3DCG elements (some backgrounds, static scenery objects, and mechanicals such as cars and the Tachikomas), the characters were traditional 2D flat images. If you try and layer these in 3D, not only will you have horrible compositing problems, you'll end up with what looks like a bunch of cardboard cutouts.

2D->3D conversion is akin to colourising a black & white film: you have to make up information to add out of thin air, and even if you throw thousands of hours and piles of money at it the best you will ever achieve is 'passable'.

R315r4z0r wrote:
I don't understand what is supposed to be "3D" about it. I've never had noticed any effect of something 'popping out of the screen' or anything like that.
Stuff popping out at you is the sign of a BAD 3D film. Imagine trying to watch a live action film that only used bright primary colours.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
I expect that they are doing this solely for the profit potential. GitS is a very popular show and any new release is likely to sell well. That being said, I can't say I'm terribly excited about this - I already have all of the DVD's and I'm perfectly happy with them. I also have a hard time seeing how a show created in 2D, as well done as it is, is going to translate effectively into a 3D format.

The whole glasses thing is a drag, too. I already wear glasses to see, and putting another pair over the top to see a show is really a lot of bother.

Same here, I find 3D movies more trouble than they're worth.

Also, ironically, did anyone notice the logo image in that article for SSS kind of looks like $$$ instead. Laughing
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
R315r4z0r wrote:
I don't understand what is supposed to be "3D" about it. I've never had noticed any effect of something 'popping out of the screen' or anything like that.
Stuff popping out at you is the sign of a BAD 3D film. Imagine trying to watch a live action film that only used bright primary colours.

Then what the hell is the point?!

IMO, movies in 3D should cost LESS money to see in theaters. Why? Because they are of the exact same quality of the regular 'non-3D' versions in every way except for the fact that they are fuzzy looking and require you to wear annoying glasses to fix it.

Why should I pay more money to see the same thing as non-3D just so I can be more uncomfortable? That doesn't make any sense...
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy well made 3-D movies. And I'm curious to see how 3-D conversions of 2-D animated films could work.

Disney is converting Beauty and the Beast to 3-D, and reviews about it have so far been excellent. I'll be intrigued to see how GITS SAC plays in 3-D, and hopefully tye're putting as much effort into it as Disney who didn't just make the flat planes and animation 3-D, but are also takign the time to properly create depth and roundness to the character's faces, clothing etc. Seeing a 2-D film like that could be a cool experience!

2-D animation could use a boost. And if being in stereo 3-D can attract more asses in the seats and make more money, then maybe it'll be good for anime trying to release theaterically abroad...
Dakaran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I want a third season of the masterpiece. Nothing beats GITS for sci-fi and I watched all the movies and episodes. I've always wanted more so I will buy it and see what this is about to make that move since the intro was flashy with the tachikoma but I prefer 2D , that's why anime Smile
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Sony needs something to sell it's 3D TVs.

Although GitS could look good in 3D, I don't think the 3D technology is there yet for 3D to quite become the next thing. And trying to launch a new technology during a recession isn't the best idea.

I find it hard enough on my neck to watch subtitles all the time. I'm really not into watching full movies in 3D.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
I don't think the 3D technology is there yet for 3D to quite become the next thing. And trying to launch a new technology during a recession isn't the best idea.

If you're talking about theatres, 3-D is already the next thing and has been for quite some time now and makes boatloads of money.

As for TVs... well, penetration always takes awhile, and 3-D is pretty much a standard in all high-end TVs going forward and prices haven't gone up, so it'll do as well as high end HDTVs currently sell until prices inevitably fall overtime...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2