• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Drug Sale Abetting Charges Filed Against 2ch Founder

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
japanprobe's detailed post leads me to believe that he has absolutely no control over 2channel anymore, so I find this whole thing silly that he's being held responsible for what they do or don't delete.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
I would agree if the charges were just that he couldn't keep 2 ch under control that would be one thing, but if the testimony that he helped write or facilitated post about smuggling that is another thing all together.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:21 am Reply with quote
From what I gather from his niconico interview, 2ch is legally outside of his control and he does not do any of the server administration, though he does maintain connections

Quote:
narcotic drugs

I know what the editor means, but this should really say "illegal" drugs. It's a personal annoyance when discussing policy or politics, but that is the only accurate differentiation between "teh drugz"/narco stuff and other legal drugs that people don't think of as "drugs". I'm sure if this were about alcohol, or information about prescription opiates, the outcome would be different.

Quote:
According to the police, he has not been cooperative in interviews in order to gather information.

Good for him. Most people in Japan would've folded.

Quote:
an unemployed man in his 50s reportedly said that Nishimura helped write the posts for the buying and selling of the narcotics.

The police say that 2channel is not complying with its investigation, and as such, 5,068 out of the 5,223 posts the police demanded be erased have been left as they are.

Good the admins again. But what can Nishimura do since it's out of his hands anyways?

What happened to free speech? Even if you don't agree with the drugs, and want them restricted, this is still just speech. Posts about them are not the same as acts. To prosecute someone just for suggesting how to ask for them amounts to thought crimes. In fact it seems like the state admits that much since part of the charge is "encouraging" someone.

It's why I don't think we'll ever see an anime or manga showing drugs other than tobacco and alcohol, in an indifferent or honest light, nor ever be politically defiant and critical of the war on drugs. At least not something originating officially from a Japanese company, because I'm sure LEO/government officials will manage to charge them with something
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:18 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
From what I gather from his niconico interview, 2ch is legally outside of his control and he does not do any of the server administration, though he does maintain connections

Quote:
narcotic drugs

I know what the editor means, but this should really say "illegal" drugs. It's a personal annoyance when discussing policy or politics, but that is the only accurate differentiation between "teh drugz"/narco stuff and other legal drugs that people don't think of as "drugs". I'm sure if this were about alcohol, or information about prescription opiates, the outcome would be different.

The original Asahi Shimbun article actually writes "narcotics". Narcotics are very VERY illegal in Japan.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
Do you mean mayaku? Does it (or what they use) automatically imply illegal in Japan? Maybe it's an issue with translation. How would they differentiate legal, usually prescription, narcotics from illegal narcotics? The term narcotics is very broad, from legal medical opiates to alcohol:
Quote:
any of a class of substances that blunt the senses, as opium, morphine, belladonna, and alcohol, that in large quantities produce euphoria, stupor, or coma, that when used constantly can cause habituation or addiction, and that are used in medicine to relieve pain, cause sedation, and induce sleep.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1