• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Suncoast/Media Play/Sam Goody

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote
What is it with Suncoast (and I assume with Media Play and Sam Goody - never been inside these stores) that they sell anime at MSRP, and it is the only store that I know of that sells it at MSRP.

Does anyone know why they are like this?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:43 pm Reply with quote
as a Media Play employe I will tell you why, it is simple, We sell DVDs, books, and CDs, forcing us to make spical sales the first two weeks of releace then by the manufature we must sell at MSRP. Our Video Games prices are the same as places like Best Buy and EB games though.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote
So after those two weeks of the "sale" for new releases you go back to being the most expensive place in America to buy anime?

That doesn't seem so true, as the store here doesn't seem to do those sales like that, at least for anime boxsets.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
We sell DVDs, books, and CDs, forcing us to make spical sales the first two weeks of releace then by the manufature we must sell at MSRP.

Nobody forces any company to sell at MSRP. MSRP is exactly what it says, a suggested price. About the only scenario I can see a company being "forced" to sell at MSRP is if they aren't buying stock at all, but selling it in consignment fashion and taking part of the profits as commission. I would put my money on Media Play et. al. not buying in as big a bulk as Best Buy and other stores, ignoring the profit-by-volume philosophy, and being content at selling fewer volumes at higher prices. It obviously works well enough for them, although I stopped setting foot in their stores several years ago.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I quit buying from SunCoast over a year ago. The only reason why I originally started buying from the was because it was much closer than BestBuy by about 5-10 minutes.

Usually it takes about 10 minutes to get to the mall, where as it took about 15-20 minutes to get to BestBuy.
theLostProphet

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen Suncoasts inside malls. I found most mall media stores (FYE, EB, Sam Goody) have their merchandise marked-up. (especially music).

I enjoy going to Suncoasts though because their like 3-D catalogs; I can browse through their big anime selection, then buy it someplace else.

I'm guessing that was what kusanagi-sama was driving at -- why don't they offer any deals? -- my answer would be because the mall yuppies are dumb (or rich) enough to pay MSRP+mall-markup for them.
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:15 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
What is it with Suncoast (and I assume with Media Play and Sam Goody - never been inside these stores) that they sell anime at MSRP, and it is the only store that I know of that sells it at MSRP.

As a small business owner, I feel the need to remind you that the mark-up on DVDs, even at MSRP, is terrible. I earn more on a graphic novel sale than I do on a DVD sale. And yes, I sell under MSRP, because I have to in order to compete. Otherwise, I end up hearing about how I'm "gouging" anime fans (and I still hear it because I can't mark it down to Best Buy levels, which would mean I'd be selling at cost).

Don't mean to jump down your throat in particular, but I just had hear that several times earlier today from a group of customers and I'm a little sore about it.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote
beelzebozo wrote:

Don't mean to jump down your throat in particular, but I just had hear that several times earlier today from a group of customers and I'm a little sore about it.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, I have a good understanding of what it's like to run a small business, and an semi-insider's view of an anime/manga store. I understand that the proverbial mom & pop store could never get their prices down to that of the huge volume buyers like Best Buy. In fact, quite often I make it a point to go to the mom & pop stores unless Best Buy has a super deal. So far, all of the smaller anime stores I've been to have been very good to customers in general, and especially good to regulars.

If your place was in my area, instead of a couple of states away, you would see me in there (buying) often.

But when it comes to a fairly large retail chain, you tend to expect lower prices. Thanks Wal-Mart!! There's nothing wrong with being a low volume, higher priced store, except of course there will always be someone who doesn't like the prices, and/or doesn't understand why the prices are the way they are.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:55 am Reply with quote
[quote="Kazuki-san"]
beelzebozo wrote:

But when it comes to a fairly large retail chain, you tend to expect lower prices. Thanks Wal-Mart!! There's nothing wrong with being a low volume, higher priced store, except of course there will always be someone who doesn't like the prices, and/or doesn't understand why the prices are the way they are.

Or why Wal-Mart can't stock for &*(^ with Anime.

Recent Outing: "WTF?!?! Their selling Mouse Vol. 1?? Thought they were a "Family Friendly" store?"
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... in general Wal-Mart doesn't sell anime in the store, but they do online. Also maybe because Mouse isn't an actual hentai, but still. You would think they wouldn't sell it. One would assume the asset manager didn't know what they were ordering.
gundamlion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:48 pm Reply with quote
like some one already mentioned, suncoast, samgoody, and mediaplay can only be found in malls. maybe these stores are trying to get people to buy expensive anime since they are all ready at the mall. for example, lots of people go to malls just for fun, then you walk into a suncoast store to look around and see they have anime but at higher prices than stores like best buy, but since your already there, you might as well buy it at a bit higher price instead of wasting time to go to best buy to pay a bit less.
Mach5Motorsport

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Or why Wal-Mart can't stock for &*(^ with Anime.

Recent Outing: "WTF?!?! Their selling Mouse Vol. 1?? Thought they were a "Family Friendly" store?"

heh heh. better yet. they're selling Mouse V.2 and the Ninja Scroll Perfect Collection, and the unedited Gatchman Collection 1 Shocked

ain't life strange????
Ianoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm a Suncoast employee, and I urge all my friends to never shop there ^^;;

When I asked my manager this same question when I started there (a year and a half ago), the reason he gave me made sense, at least for Suncoast (MediaPlay and Sam Goody...well, probably too)

Suncoast sells DVDs. And only DVDs. Whereas a Walmart, or BestBuy can get profit from a wider variety of products, we have to rely solely on our sales of DVDs, which the profit from, as already mentioned, is low to begin with.

Although, I rarely shop there even with my discount *sweatdrop*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gundamlion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:59 am Reply with quote
no matter the price, suncoast still has the best collection(in my area).
Jimmy Crackers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:07 am Reply with quote
Could the reason why Suncoast/Sam Goody and various other stores similar in nature, charge at SRP because of the cost for leasing?

I once asked my dad the exact same question, and he told me the reason why many stores in the mall are so pricey is because malls tend to charge stores an arm and a leg for leasing fees. Apparently it's not cheap keeping a store in business inside a mall, and because these stores have to pay a hefty sum for leasing, and being able to maintain their buisness inside a mall, they have to pass the cost onto the consumers to make a profit. Hence, the reason why Suncoast has to charge SRP for their goods.

Now, I may be wrong about this, and I'm sure it's because of other factors involved, as mentioned aboved. I can't claim that everything I mentioned above is proven to be fact, nor can I claim that I know the true reason why Suncoast charges at SRP, because I honestly don't know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2