• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Edo Eights and Heartbreak

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:15 am Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
animehermit wrote:

although i think i may need to re-watch the series again, its been forever since is saw it. Its also recently come to light (thanks to JesuOtaku's in-betweens videos on it) that there may be a lot more subtlety to Trigun that i had previously not given it credit for.

How many times have I heard this? Rolling Eyes

No offense to some people, but half the time I wonder if people are either braindead, don't pay attention, or are just that slow

"FLCL had no plot"

Right because Naota didn't totally narrate and TELL YOU whats going on

Trigun is the same way, if you take everything, and I mean everything at face value like so many "fans" do, they end up not only missing what makes the series great, but resort to calling it overrated because they have no other frame of reference from 1998. Which is a shame, maybe I'm just a more open minded thinking person then some.

I was referring to the series fantastic direction via Satoshi Nishimura and some other things hinted at early on, that you don't fully comprehend as a viewer, until you've seen the ending.

Also the fact that you imply that i'm some sort of "braindead" idiot, for not understanding things in my first watch of the series is more than a little insulting. It's not like Trigun is hard to follow, its pretty straightforward most of the time. The subtlety i was referring to is, well pretty damn subtle.

A lot of people consider it "overrated" because fans like you put it on a pedestal as some work of great animated merit among the likes of Cowboy Bebop or even Evangelion. And its these fans inability to see flaws in the work that make many consider it overrated.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I mean, did you know that in Edo Japan it was common to shout the name of the fireworks manufacturer while watching a fireworks display?

Anyone that's seen more than maybe 10 anime series knows this. It's been done so many times that it should be common knowledge. I could give examples if you'd like, but frankly it almost seems like an exercise in futility. It's not nearly as rare as you seem to think it is.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think Oh Edo Rocket is totally deserving of a Shelf Worthy rating, but I roll my eyes in exaggerated fashion at your implied claim that knowing to shout Tamaya and Kagiya during fireworks is somehow a virtually unknown aspect of Japanese culture. You've been to Japan Erin, please don't pretend that you're ignorant of these things. It's alright to admit that you're a raging otaku.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:18 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Dagon123 wrote:
Trigun is the same way, if you take everything, and I mean everything at face value like so many "fans" do, they end up not only missing what makes the series great, but resort to calling it overrated because they have no other frame of reference from 1998. Which is a shame, maybe I'm just a more open minded thinking person then some.
A lot of people consider it "overrated" because fans like you put it on a pedestal as some work of great animated merit among the likes of Cowboy Bebop or even Evangelion. And its these fans inability to see flaws in the work that make many consider it overrated.

If you accept the ANN encyclopedia ratings, Trigun is "objectively" overrated.

By the ANN formula, Trigun should be #126 on the all-time viewed list, since it's the #126 on the ratings list. Since it's #12 on the viewed list, it should drop down 114 places into the neighborhood of Monster and Fushigi Yuugi. (So, "overrated" does not mean "bad," since its new neighbors would still be highly-regarded shows.)

Sailor S wrote:
Quote:
I mean, did you know that in Edo Japan it was common to shout the name of the fireworks manufacturer while watching a fireworks display?
Anyone that's seen more than maybe 10 anime series knows this.

Well, 10 harem/romance anime, perhaps. Not a lot of post-festival yukata-wearing fireworks-watching in other genres. (And yes, I knew the names, too. I'm ashamed to say that the voice in my head was Kurumi going "Tamaya....desu!", though.)
mckg1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:20 am Reply with quote
Hey Erin, about the PS3 having no games, yea it actually has more exclusive games than any other system(the 360 has games that are in the PC so i dont count that as exclusive). Do some research and you will see what i mean. First off get Metal Gear solid 4, a must have for any PS3owner, then Uncharted 1 and 2, god of war 3, heavy rain i know you will love, Demon's souls is amazing, little big planet 2 (one is also worth checking out). infamous, This is just a small portion. Look forward to a heck of alot more games to come out this year (killzone 3, resistance 3, Uncharted 3(alot of 3's, lol) final fantasy VS 13, guardian, and many more that will take too long to list. Please do some research since you have purchased the PS3 already. Have a fun time viewing high def anime too Smile
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:39 am Reply with quote
Speaking of research mckg1, did you notice this part of Erin's article? Razz

Quote:
I'm basically a non-gamer who enjoys button mashing 4-person fighters, Rock Band, Wii Bowling, and games that don't take 60 hours to play or take more than five minutes to learn (excluding mahjong).

Perhaps Little Big Planet would fit, and maybe Last Guardian when it comes out, but I don't think most of those other choices are very "non-gamer" friendly. Certainly not Demon's Souls. Twisted Evil

EDIT: Oh, and Heavy Rain might also be a good choice.
mckg1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:33 am Reply with quote
Mad scientist:
I know, i guess i got a little carried away, lol. I just wanted to list all the games that were available Wink. Maybe Demon's Souls is a bit much (since it's so hard core) to list, but it's one of my fav games so i listed it anyways, lol.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm basically a non-gamer who enjoys button mashing 4-person fighters, Rock Band, Wii Bowling, and games that don't take 60 hours to play or take more than five minutes to learn (excluding mahjong).

I'm basically a sucky gamer. "Soul Calibur 4" and "BlazBlue" are both good button-mashers that even I can't lose all the time. "Folklore" may be too long (and a bit hard to learn), but it draws you in and makes good use of Celtic and Gaelic, well, folklore.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:09 am Reply with quote
I've always been curious about Trigun when it was first released on VHS back in the days. I've only seen a few episodes and I liked but I saw but never had a chance to finish. The character Vash was the most oddest character. He was original in the sense that he wasn't what you expected and didn't fit many of the chiched characters you come across. Then there's Millie a smile like sunshine and cookies but almost 15ft tall character an arsenal on her back. I wanted to know more. From people who had seen it always had positive things to say about the show. During a time when Tenchi, Cowboy Bebop were the most awesome fan-based shows you could chatter about. It's been probably 10 years now we have a whole new generation of fans. We just got a student request for the Trigun boxset so I might have to consider taking a spin. Wink
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:14 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Quote:

Anyone that's seen more than maybe 10 anime series knows this. It's been done so many times that it should be common knowledge. I could give examples if you'd like, but frankly it almost seems like an exercise in futility. It's not nearly as rare as you seem to think it is.

I dunno, I've been an anime fan for 13 years, and honestly, I have NEVER seen this in an anime before. And I've definitely seen more than 10 anime series. Giving an example would definitely not be futile. I'm honestly curious as to what series include this.

Edit: As for Trigun, I remember in highschool thinking that Vash the Stampede was incredibly cool. I watched the first couple episodes, loved them, and then very quickly lost interest, as it seemed like the show was going nowhere. Maybe it's time to dig the DVDs that are hidden somewhere in the house and give it another try.
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:17 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

Also....R4 got a CG R2 hardbox release!? URRGH! I fricking hate Bandai even more now.

Seriously, what the hell happened to them? It's like they've given up.

Yeah, that pic had me rushing all over the internets o,o

Turning the LEs into bad excuses to get rid of volumes of the (horrible) manga was pretty annoying -_-"

Now if they still got the OSTs and sound episodes in the R4 releases I'd be really pissed =\

Quote:
Hey Erin, about the PS3 having no games, yea it actually has more exclusive games than any other system(the 360 has games that are in the PC so i don't count that as exclusive). Do some research and you will see what i mean. First off get Metal Gear solid 4, a must have for any PS3owner, then Uncharted 1 and 2, god of war 3, heavy rain i know you will love, Demon's souls is amazing, little big planet 2 (one is also worth checking out). infamous, This is just a small portion. Look forward to a heck of alot more games to come out this year (killzone 3, resistance 3, Uncharted 3(alot of 3's, lol) final fantasy VS 13, guardian, and many more that will take too long to list. Please do some research since you have purchased the PS3 already. Have a fun time viewing high def anime too

It's an old meme o,o

I think she inadvertently trolled people with something she thought everyone knew.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:33 am Reply with quote
I sure hope that the generally positive reviews for Oh! Edo Rocket among critics actually leads to some sales. I hype the show whenever appropriate. For those of you on the fence, if you have the Funimation streams available, you can try it out here. I also enjoy Homna Yusuke's score for this show. Why not 1940's big-band music for a show set in 1843 with technologies from the 21st century?

Erin, I'll give you one suggestion for the PS3. Try the Ratchet and Clank Future games. They're fun platformers with witty scripts. Since your PS3 will play PS2 games as well, you could even try out the original R&C games. The first one sells for about $15 at Amazon these days. In fact we still mostly play our PS2 games on the PS3 since we haven't yet found many games we'd enjoy (no sports, no shooters) on the newer platform. My daughter became addicted to Dragon Age over her Christmas break from college, but that's one of those detailed RPGs that take dozens of hours to play. Doesn't sound like your cup of tea.

The PS3 is a great device for DVD and Blu-ray playback, though.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:51 am Reply with quote
@yuna49: Don't forget that, unless something has changed, only the older PS3 models are backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2 games. AFAIK, the feature was dropped from the slimmed-down models. I'd definitely second the Ratchet & Clank games though, and add that knowledge of the first few games isn't necessary to enjoy the Future line.

As much as I enjoyed Oh! Edo Rocket (great soundtrack), I thought that the series was trying to be too much. Some of the content went too dark for a gag series, and all the gags undercut the darker, more serious moments, in my opinion. I think I would have preferred that it went either straight lighthearted gag show straight adventure with incidental humor. Still, worth a look, especially since, as mentioned, it's streaming for free.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
Ah Trigun... one of the first anime I saw and the first series I bought, I saved up allowance/birthday/Christmas money for MONTHS (almost a year...) to be able to afford it all when Pioneer/Geneon first released it on DVD (I was in middle school AND we were dirt poor, I wish I had a picture of my dad's face when he saw what I was "wasting" my money on!). I LOVED the show back then, and I still do now, but I admit it is a fairly average show.

The reason it is so overhyped IMO is because it is one of the few anime that was able to make a big splash here in America, and thus was a lot of people's first anime (not necessarily the first they have seen, but the first that blew them away and made them interested in the medium). And, I got this to say to anyone who is ripping on Trigun being overrated: Give it 5-10 years, and the anime coming out now that you view as being great will be all but forgotten, just like Trigun is now. THEN you will understand how such an average show can be so overrated Razz.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote
I have been showing my 65 year old father a lot of anime recently. We started with watching Monster when it was on Sci-Fi and since that ended I have shown him older shows including The Irresponsible Captain Tylor and Cowboy Bebop plus movies including the Cowboy Bebop movie, Tokyo Godfathers and Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise. Currently we are watching Trigun and shall view episode 17 to...maybe 21 tonight. So far he is enjoying the anime I have shown him, though he occasionally misinterprets things in strange ways and I have to explain it to him. Still, I never thought I'd actually be watching anime with my DAD.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
You praised Liam O'Brien's performance of Fukuyama, so I can't be too hard on you for hating one of my absolute favorite ecchi comedies... but then again, you don't really like any ecchi comedies so arguing on this is futile.

No kidding. I gave up on that after i saw the perishable label on popotan as well as on strike witches S1. Though i do agree with her that i liked o brien's take as our every day pervert on the series. kinda reminded me of onsakamaru from ninja nonsense who also had the same tase for perverseness.

However what i dont agree is him as a Jennai if there is a El Hazzard remake

Sure it would be interesting , But I can't see that happening.

Maybe the VA who did onsakamaru , and THAT'S a big maybe.

but honestly , I cannot see anyone that can outdo the original.

Erin wrote:
Trigun is, of course, the show that made voice actor Johnny Yong Bosch a star. He does a fine job as Vash.

Not quite. JYB was actually well known long before Trigun. If you were a power ranger fan like i was during it's prime. Esepcailly when the two movies came to theaters.

Also he became known to older anime fans as Kaneda when Pioneer did the remake for Akira.

But that changed after he was signed on Bleach to VA as ichigo. More of the newer anime fans know him as our fav subititute soul reaper ( thanks to the Adult Swim broadcast ) than as Vash the Stampede. In a way it's cause of bleach's success ( here in the US cause i heard people in japan didn't liked his take as ichigo) that some people recognised his take on trigun , which i did not get since Trigun premired on Adult Swim first before bleach.

It was kinda the same way for the VA that did spike. was known to AS fans , but he became well known after he was signed on as the main for Big O which was backed by CN and as tom during the toonami days ( Damn i sooo miss those times )

Either way ,In a way it's those four series that definied his VA career. But which one that made JYB well known to some fans, that's up to the fan in general.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5