• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Utena/Penguindrum's Ikuhara to Debut New Anime's Promo Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsilver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I imagine rivaling Revolutionary Girl Utena is quite a feat. If nothing else, I admire a something with such ambitions having such a silly-seeming title.

I like Penguindrum a lot and own the blu-ray, but saying that it rivals Utena is a huge stretch.

Utena - Favorite of all time
vs
Penguindrum - 2nd favorite in the year in which it was made
Megadedhed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
I imagine rivaling Revolutionary Girl Utena is quite a feat. If nothing else, I admire a something with such ambitions having such a silly-seeming title.

I like Penguindrum a lot and own the blu-ray, but saying that it rivals Utena is a huge stretch.

Utena - Favorite of all time
vs
Penguindrum - 2nd favorite in the year in which it was made

Lets be honest though, 2011 was prolly one of the best years for anime in a LONG time. Penguindrum is my 3rd favorite of the year, but any other year it would have easily been my favorite.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I was partly just setting up a bad joke. (Doesn't anybody watch The Rocky Horror Picture Show anymore?)

It was also partly because I gather that roseversailles regards Revolutionary Girl Utena very highly and wouldn't praise Mawaru Penguindrum frivolously, thus making it high praise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I consider Penguindrum to be actually better than Utena.Sure it owes a lot to it,but it had focused story(every single episode added to the Penguindrum "mythology"),crazier and in a way more relate-able characters,actually shocking plot twists,better art,emotional ending and actually bigger thematic ambitions than Utena did.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
MY BODY IS READY! *O*

...On the note of which is better, Utena or Penguindrum, aside from the obvious answer, I feel like Utena is more accessible and casts a broader net of concepts, while Penguindrum is more compact, unified, and hones in (painfully close) on just a couple ideas, but overall...they're both pretty stone-perfect. Not sure if I can say one is better than the other when they're both the best they could possibly have been with only tiny, inconsequential flaws to speak of. Anime smile One's more exploratory and universal, while the other is more laser-point impactful buuuuut they're both super-duper-Ikuhara.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I was partly just setting up a bad joke. (Doesn't anybody watch The Rocky Horror Picture Show anymore?)

I got your joke...Dr. Frank-N-Furter.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
I consider Penguindrum to be actually better than Utena.Sure it owes a lot to it,but it had focused story(every single episode added to the Penguindrum "mythology"),crazier and in a way more relate-able characters,actually shocking plot twists,better art,emotional ending and actually bigger thematic ambitions than Utena did.

I actually like Penguindrum much more than Utena too because of the reason I bolded.

The one thing I like about Utena more is probably the ending but Penguindrum beats it on the journey for me.

I am not really sure what is more accessible. We can definitely see some of Ikuhara's favorite things in both although I definitely think Penguindrum makes more references to things that are specifically Japanese.

You don't have to read it to get Penguindrum but I think if you do read Night on the Galactic Railroad (or watch the animated film) you may appreciate the series more.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

It was also partly because I gather that roseversailles regards Revolutionary Girl Utena very highly and wouldn't praise Mawaru Penguindrum frivolously, thus making it high praise.

*Does the Time Warp*

Yes, Tim Curry, I do quite like Utena. Wink In fact, it's one of my favorite anime. However, I cannot, despite my best efforts, deem it perfect and without flaw. Penguindrum tends to bypass some of the flaws its predecessor had (imo, though). It's not as ambitious, but it hits just a few more marks. Part of it may rely on the fact that its themes are more personal and relatable for me, and thus the characters are more accessible, but I still maintain it has a tighter grasp on its themes and pacing. It's not trying to address as many large themes as Utena, and may be a bit stronger for that.
Both are wonderful anime and are heartily recommended. I love them dearly and don't want to sound like I'm "slamming" one over the other. Penguindrum really seems to focus on the concept of "family," and variations of said concept, and has some very poignant scenes. Ikuhara really is a master at what he does.

On that note, if you have Sentai's release, let me warn you that it appears they have "dubtitles" on the discs, and it really is a show that begs to be watched in Japanese. It doesn't detract from the quality of the show, but be aware of that! Also, if you're a fan of The Rose of Versailles you'll catch a hilarious in-joke during one of the early episodes. Perhaps that's why I love Penguindrum so much! Laughing
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:
On that note, if you have Sentai's release, let me warn you that it appears they have "dubtitles" on the discs, and it really is a show that begs to be watched in Japanese. It doesn't detract from the quality of the show, but be aware of that! Also, if you're a fan of The Rose of Versailles you'll catch a hilarious in-joke during one of the early episodes. Perhaps that's why I love Penguindrum so much! Laughing

While some parts have seemed to sneak in as dubtitles, like a few bits of weird slang and maybe more creative twists of language (like equating "peasant" with whatever had been previously translated as "lowlife"), there are definitely many times where it diverges some. It's just that the dub script is almost religiously faithful to the original script, like many of Sentai's dubs... something that apparently annoys the hell out of some people, as they think that the spoken syntax is then too awkward or that the ADR script doesn't have enough soul or what not.

Anyway, rather excited about this... I hope that this is the real penguinbear project he's talking about. For some reason, it feels like what I would want the most is a movie reinterpretation a la Utena. (Of course, I'm fine with a more original project as well!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Sooo excited about this! I've loved Utena for years (I owned CPM's release but double dipped for the Right Stuf/Nozomi boxsets, I even got the ring!), and I really enjoyed the first half of Mawaru Penguindrum (have pre-ordered the second half), it's so nice to see Kunihiko Ikuhara working on new projects again (and Shinichiro Watanabe too, as mentioned by another poster).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2