• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Adult Beveridge

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:

I've never had a scratched disc interfere with playback, not that I even have many scratched discs. And if I really have to skip menus/warnings/etc, I could always just watch the disc on my PC. So if I make a rather significant investment and spend a great deal of time, I could save upwards of 30 seconds per disc. Now that's convenience.

The best way to do it may not be all at once. I'd probably rip stuff as I went back to it; kind of like how I install software on a fresh OS. I don't have your kind of volume, however.

I have an OOP disc that's scratched just enough to cause playback problems; I've been meaning to find somewhere with a decent scratch buffing machine or something. Does anybody have experience with this?
mow123

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
"Take a knife and start stabbing away like a fourteen year girl." C'mon ANN, I thought you had class. Okay, I kid, it was an interesting listen, and yeah I know what you say doesn't reflect ANN.

Adding cash prizes to AMV's is an interesting proposition. People make money based on parody works, and I don't see anything wrong with them doing it. Hopefully it motivates more people to produce quality work.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that, even though I didn't become a fan of collecting anime & manga until about 2004/2005 I just prefer the "old-school" mentality of actually having a physical item to have and hold and know that you actually have it. Digital is great and all, but I just can never get behind the idea of it taking the place of physical media and instead would rather it just be a different way of taking something in, like it is right now. Hell, I still buy an old VHS if it's for something that doesn't have a DVD release over here (Dancougar, Ehrgeiz, Iczelion, Abashiri Family, etc.)

As for my rarest item... I'm not really sure if I have anything "rare" really. I do have three BV USA DVDs, but that was because I got one (MS igLoo Apocalypse 0079) via an amazing deal at a con and the other two (Demon Prince Enma 1 & 2) I bought when they finally went to the TRSI bargain bin... Yeah, they were still $20 each but at least they were still way cheaper than they originally were.

Well, I guess the rarest items would be the ones that had super-low print-runs. I do have the entire boxset of Orguss DVDs iaTV released (thank you, Justin, for getting this show out) and I'm sure that the Raijin-Oh DVDs Anime Midstream is releasing will end up being somewhat rare after all is said and done with that release.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I like to collect anime dvds and I just prefer to have an actual item that I can hold and admire. The only dvd I have that I know is kind of hard to find is my Tenchi Muyo Pioneer complete season boxset.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I love hearing collectors chit-chat. I find it quite interesting.

And on that note, maybe its just because my collection is no where near several thousand discs, but I am a firm believer in physical media. I absolutely hate the fact the we're going towards an all digital future.

I'd love to have a wall of DVD's rather than a digital server.
Innotech

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Oh man, physical collecting discussion time! I have a pretty decent sized collection about 1750 shows, around 3000 discs, and there is absolutely no way I would ever consider slicing inserts or even converting everything to a huge mainframe. I guess I'm a weird guy at heart, I just love having a physical collection because it feels right, and it shows off how much this stuff actually means to me.

For my most expensive purchases? Would probably be a tie between getting all of the Utena and Cardcaptor Sakura DVDs. Probably went for around 200-300 per show. My most valuable purchases would definately be the complete Dunbine and Orguss collections with artboxes. I still need to finish off Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Super Robot Wars: Divine Wars tho, they are the final volumes I need to utterly complete my anime collection as of right now.

Seriously? I spent about 80 bucks on the ENTIRE 18 disc Cardcaptor Sakura subbed Pioneer set (not bootlegs) and about 100 on all of Utena. I got the CCS set on a Rightstuf limited availability clearance deal where the whole set was literally wrapped together into a single block. When I came across that I really couldnt bleieve it and it remains my all time best value anime purchase. Its probably next to impossible to find anymore which is a shame since that particular version is fantastic.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:23 am Reply with quote
BeanBandit wrote:
...Should also say that I also regret not re-buying Perfect Blue when I had the chance as wile I own that film the DVD is scratched to shit and stutters in some places Sad...

If your player can cope with region 4 you can order it from Siren Visual. Link

It's interesting that, unlike the USA and with the exception of Tokyo Godfathers, Satoshi Kon's stuff is readily available in Australia. The rest of the catalogue can be got from Madman or JB Hi-fi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:10 am Reply with quote
Innotech wrote:
FaytLein wrote:
Oh man, physical collecting discussion time! I have a pretty decent sized collection about 1750 shows, around 3000 discs, and there is absolutely no way I would ever consider slicing inserts or even converting everything to a huge mainframe. I guess I'm a weird guy at heart, I just love having a physical collection because it feels right, and it shows off how much this stuff actually means to me.

For my most expensive purchases? Would probably be a tie between getting all of the Utena and Cardcaptor Sakura DVDs. Probably went for around 200-300 per show. My most valuable purchases would definately be the complete Dunbine and Orguss collections with artboxes. I still need to finish off Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Super Robot Wars: Divine Wars tho, they are the final volumes I need to utterly complete my anime collection as of right now.

Seriously? I spent about 80 bucks on the ENTIRE 18 disc Cardcaptor Sakura subbed Pioneer set (not bootlegs) and about 100 on all of Utena. I got the CCS set on a Rightstuf limited availability clearance deal where the whole set was literally wrapped together into a single block. When I came across that I really couldnt bleieve it and it remains my all time best value anime purchase. Its probably next to impossible to find anymore which is a shame since that particular version is fantastic.

You are one of the lucky few that got it at bargain prices. That show was long out of print and TSRI was just looking to get rid of overstock. Imagine all the people out there that were pissed when they had to fork out $30 a volume Laughing You would be paying a good $300+ to collect those USED singles now.

I thought I was going to get lucky with Super Robot Wars going out of print and getting some cheap overstock but nope. I still ended up paying $30~40 a volume. Makes me wish I pre-ordered them from Dot Anime for those special cards when I had a chance. That was the old me that was stingy with cash and always looking for a deal when it came to anime. Now I buy day one because there no telling when something you want could just disappear, like the Garden of sinners. Better safe than sorry.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
After all no one I know has ever watch 'sailor moon'

This hurt my heart a little. It is interesting to hear a newer fan's perspective on anime though.

I'm a collector. I like to own the physical media. I used to purchase items more indiscriminately, so I've been slowly selling the DVDs and manga I don't want to watch or read again, and I only buy things I would read or watch again. The expensive stuff I own are the Sailor Moon DVDs and manga, Cardcaptor Sakura, Kimagure Orange Road, Urusei Yatsura, and Utena until they rerelease it. I have all of the Basara and Please Save My Earth manga, and the out of print volumes are crazy expensive. KOR is the only one I bought after it went out of print though. I was lucky, and it wasn't too expensive actually.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I've been wanting to put together a WHS box for a long time. For example something like:
http://www.ava-media.com/p/1052380/rs5-safe-media-server---black-1x-500gb-raid1.html

Holy god, those things are INSANELY, unreasonably expensive for what they are!! A 4-bay ready-to-go NAS enclosure goes for like $300, and the drives themselves are $100 for a 2 TB! Ripping all the DVDs with a PC is, I guess, a LITTLE more work, but barely a measurable amount, I'd say... Certainly not enough to be worth the $1000 premium.
Graddick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
This episode could serve as a warning to all budding collectors: the road of the collector ends with apathy, despondency and bankruptcy.

Chris Beveridge and Justin certainly make collecting anime seem like a painful ordeal that is worth neither the time nor the money. I'm glad I've controlled myself to a single shoebox of perhaps 15-20 DVDs in all my decade of anime fandom.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
yeah, shows are in CR forever. They take down shows all the time.
Fairy Tail eps are only available for 3 weeks, then they are gone.
Fairy Tail is the only current series on terms like that ~ as noted, the Kadokawa Pictures deals only guarantees:
Quote:
Availability Notes: All videos will be removed by Kadokawa thirty days after the release of the final episode.
... but that only seems to actually kick in if a distributor wants to pick up the full exclusive rights.

And of course, for a simulcast, that is a perfectly reasonable deadline, to have the whole series available through the broadcast season and a following month to catch up if need be. Its not like Crunchyroll charges Download to Own rates if you follow even two new series at a time.

And its actually a damn good thing that they don't restrict to only getting shows where ongoing streaming rights are available, since it would be a dramatic reduction in series available if they did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4