• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Californian Senator Links Games to Violence

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
This is a bunch of BS
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
First Action for Children's television act
then both title 18 section 2252 and 2256
then P.R.O.T.E.C.T. Act of 2003
then Video Game Decency Act of 2006
then California Assembly Bills 1792 & 1793 of 2005
and now the upcoming 2013 version of the first two after the old school Videogame Rating council? already have no reaction to gun law or soda ban /facepalm
stararnold

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Oh boy, here we go again. For the last 500 times, video games does not cause violence. Even FBI profiler are smarter then her when it comes to the mind of the criminal, serial killers, and mass murderers.

I tottally agre with you, mdo7. Video games are, like movies, are only meant to be entertainment (not a manual for evil), thus a virtual escape from the real world. It's the mind of the criminal that causes violence.

Censoring violent video games, even out of fear for the young people playing them, can hurt the creative freedom of those involved in the U.S. video gaming industry as well as the point of the ESRB (video game industry equivalent to the MPAA), which protects that freedom while warning parents on what's kid appropriate and what's not. Such cruel action, if it does happen, will be just as tragic as the controversial youth ordinance bill in Tokyo.

P.S. If the Green Arrow was real and was realize that creative freedom is in danger, he would probably show up in that old jerk's house and shout, "You've failed this country!".
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
But is that reason still valid? When did the Second Amendment mean a right to build a Camp Bastion style arsenal in one's home? Who are you defending yourselves from these days, apart from each other? problem is to some the Second Amendment has become a religion like cult more that a legal right with the NRA worshipping it like it is a holy scripture, just because. Rolling Eyes

The second amendment is largely outdated. It was created back when the only weapons we had were muskets and the worse thing you had to deal with was an inaccurate cannon that lobbed metal spheres into a group of people. Back when there was no real dedicated army like we have today and it was expected of people to defend their country if the need arise, for example, from bandits and Native Americans who attacked the frontier settlements. When the only transport method were horses, even any small army the country had wouldn't be much help of saving your home from attack if it had to ride for a week before it could get there. So there was a need and expectation of people to have weapons in order to create a militia if the need arises.

These days with the government having a large dedicated army spread across land, sea, and air. With the possession of tanks, jets, submarines, battleships, bombs, automatic weapons, and other arsenal the average person cant obtain, the idea of some 'people's militia' doesn't exactly hold up anymore.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
stararnold wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Oh boy, here we go again. For the last 500 times, video games does not cause violence. Even FBI profiler are smarter then her when it comes to the mind of the criminal, serial killers, and mass murderers.

I tottally agre with you, mdo7. Video games are, like movies, are only meant to be entertainment (not a manual for evil), thus a virtual escape from the real world. It's the mind of the criminal that causes violence.

Censoring violent video games, even out of fear for the young people playing them, can hurt the creative freedom of those involved in the U.S. video gaming industry as well as the point of the ESRB (video game industry equivalent to the MPAA), which protects that freedom while warning parents on what's kid appropriate and what's not. Such cruel action, if it does happen, will be just as tragic as the controversial youth ordinance bill in Tokyo.

P.S. If the Green Arrow was real and was realize that creative freedom is in danger, he would probably show up in that old jerk's house and shout, "You've failed this country!".

Well that and if she tried to not apply first amendment to the video game violence, this will end up going to the Supreme Court again just like the California case. I doubt this idea will not pass because how many people played video game, more then 15+ million in the US, and how many violent act has happened this year only less then 10, so this is ridiculous. Also people will cry double standard as in why is violent movie not censored also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gamelore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
If anything, telling people they can't express themselves fully in video games would cause violence.

Look at the prescription drugs these people are taking instead.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
It's just the "new media is evil" crap people have been doing since the dawn of time.

Any new kind of media will suffer at first. Some Greek philosophers thought writing was inherently "soulless". Movies were once considered an "insidious jewish influence". All we have to do it wait it out until games are considered equal to their peers. It'll take a while, but it'll happen, I guarantee it.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
All we have to do it wait it out until games are considered equal to their peers. It'll take a while, but it'll happen, I guarantee it.

That won't happen until the old generation dies. In other words in another 50 years or so. Besides, I too agree that not all games are bad, but there are a few that come out once in a while that are completely inappropriate
yuetheguardian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:

Doesn't matter, we have the Second Amendment for a reason.
But is that reason still valid? When did the Second Amendment mean a right to build a Camp Bastion style arsenal in one's home? Who are you defending yourselves from these days, apart from each other? problem is to some the Second Amendment has become a religion like cult more that a legal right with the NRA worshipping it like it is a holy scripture, just because. Rolling Eyes

Constitutions are sacred documents. To not uphold uphold them to the greatest extent is disrespectful to the nation a constitution represents. For the U.S. to infringe on any of Its Own is a sign of too much power.

And it's plain and simple: in this world of human nature, people have the right to defend themselves however way they deem for themselves they need to, and the Second Amendment guarantees that right for every American citizen.
how many people forget that the constitution is a living document. It is meant to be changed and molded and fixed as time goes on to reflect the current state of the people. Heres the thing the main thing that shows the ignorance of the senator on the subject is the self regulation. What does Senator Feinstein think the ESRB is for? they are already far more regulated then books heck even movies. the system when it is utilised works heck i had a woman try to stop me from buying Yakuza Dead Souls because she mistyped my birth date. I just wish more polticians would realize that video gamers have grown up and become voters, i was aware enough as a kid for the mortal kombat/night trap controversy, that's why the ESRB was made and it works i am constantly carded when buying M rated games.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
First this bitch tried to take our guns, but she failed. Now she's trying to go after our video games. Twisted Evil
NagaseTohru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
That's Senator Feinstein for you....always coming up with new laws to restrict what people can do or own - regulating behavior through legislation. More rules. More penalties.

What will we NOT be allowed to do or own next?
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
My words for Shitstein: MOLON LABE!
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:34 am Reply with quote
yuetheguardian wrote:
how many people forget that the constitution is a living document. It is meant to be changed and molded and fixed as time goes on to reflect the current state of the people.
The basic idea of a constitution is to reflect the "social contract" between the people and the state - to fix it into words - and they always include methods to amend them if they really do need fixing. That a constitution can be effectively changed completely without altering a single word isn't a good thing - it all but nullifies the underlying concept.
TitanXL wrote:
Back when there was no real dedicated army like we have today and it was expected of people to defend their country if the need arise, for example, from bandits and Native Americans who attacked the frontier settlements. When the only transport method were horses, even any small army the country had wouldn't be much help of saving your home from attack if it had to ride for a week before it could get there. So there was a need and expectation of people to have weapons in order to create a militia if the need arises.
The lack of a standing army(and consequent need for a militia) had more to do with the era's hostility to the very concept. It's entirely a cultural matter; technology has nothing to do with it.
Danette-Anime-Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:08 am Reply with quote
Tennessee Republican senator Lamar Alexander linked video games and violence in an interview with MSNBC, stating "I think video games is [sic] a bigger problem than guns, because video games affect people. But the First Amendment limits what we can do about video games, and the Second Amendment to the Constitution limits what we can do about guns."

I hate how he makes it sound like that the first and second amendments are bad things. Politicians today are just so...gah, can't even think of the right word.
Danette-Anime-Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:35 am Reply with quote
Sathelys wrote:
None of this kind of thing happens in Canada..maybe it's because we don't allow RANDOM people to walk around with GUNS.

It's not actually "random" people. People do need to get backround checks and a license to carry a gun. I have a relative who actually can't buy a gun do to domestic violence issues. There are plenty of law abiding citizens with guns who don't get violent. When you live in a country with a right to bare arms for 200+ years not everybody is gonna want to lose that right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5