• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Starting an Anime store.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiro94

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Do you have an independent anime store in mind that is serving as your model/ideal? If so, why not get in touch with them and ask if you can come and talk to the manager, spend a day helping out or something?
In my experience (of independent bookstores at least), people can be very kind and collegial — and especially if you're not thinking of going into business in their own town as a direct competitor!

You might strike it lucky and get yourself a mentor, or at least learn something useful.
Unfortunately i don't have an independent anime store in my area.Thanks for the advice though!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't have to be an anime store. Find someone running a similar store of the size you intend to start. A book store, comic shop or gift shop. Keep in mind, that to run your own business you have to know as much about being a business owner as you do about the goods you intend to sell. You also need to find out if the absence of an anime related store means that there is no competition or that there is no market.

If you open a store you will have to deal with a landlord, and a whole mess of local officials and local, state and federal regulations. You will need to keep accounts that will satisfy tax authorities. Hire even one employee and there is a raft of additional regulations you need to be familiar with. And, of course, there are banks and insurance companies to deal with.

Good luck.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Wait, wait, let me get this straight... You make this post, with absolutely no business experience, know-how, or anything, thinking that this is a simple matter of "point me to a wholeseller, and I'll buy crap from them and sell it for profit", and when people post real, completely valid advice for you, you claim they've "nothing better too do then sit on the internet and be rude too people who have serious aspirations because your own miserably failed"?

Yeah, I'm 100% certain you're going to fail. Least of all because you obviously have no clue what it requires to do this, since you're talking about doing this straight out of high school without taking any college courses, and you obviously won't be able to write any legally-binding contracts because you can't even spell correctly.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:43 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Wait, wait, let me get this straight... You make this post, with absolutely no business experience, know-how, or anything, thinking that this is a simple matter of "point me to a wholeseller, and I'll buy crap from them and sell it for profit", and when people post real, completely valid advice for you, you claim they've "nothing better too do then sit on the internet and be rude too people who have serious aspirations because your own miserably failed"?

Yeah, I'm 100% certain you're going to fail. Least of all because you obviously have no clue what it requires to do this, since you're talking about doing this straight out of high school without taking any college courses, and you obviously won't be able to write any legally-binding contracts because you can't even spell correctly.
Once again bully"s defending Bully"s.The other responses I got were very polite and told
Me exactly what i wanted too know and gave great advice.Once again they"re
Is
Always the [insult removed] who have nothing better too do then be rude too people on forums just too prove that they are smarter and i am dumb.All I asked
For was some advice excuse
The hell out of me for asking.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:49 am Reply with quote
You asked for advice and you got it. Don't go crying and calling people bullies just because it's not what you wanted to hear. Starting a business is very hard work and you're incredibly naive and stupid if you think you can just buy stuff cheaply then sell it on for a profit. Eve's advice is probably the best advice in this thread in terms of what you might actually need to start a viable business. He is not bullying you or trying to crush your ambitions in any way. Grow up and come back in 10 years when you actually have some real life experience and you're not just a barely literate brat who's straight out of high school. Then you can call other people's advice stupid. Till then, go cry to someone who cares.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:51 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Hiro94 wrote:
I have always wanted too start an Anime store since i was a kid and now that i am an adult i would like to make it a reality.I am currently looking into starting one but the problem is i don't know what distributer's to go through for my merch.I have no idea how much it cost for the merch.I would like too sell Anime dvd's, Blurays, Manga,Body Pillows,Visual novels,Figurines and other odds and ends.I understand how to purchase a building and start up the business i just don't know where to go through for the merch itself.I would also like too know in order to make my business Sustainable would i have too charge msrp or could i charge and in-between price in-between Rightstuff.coms prices and msrp prices?

If you haven't already, I suggest hitting up your local community college and seeing if they have a business course you could take. I imagine it would answer a lot of your questions and maybe give you some tips on how to make yours successful.
Thanks
For
The advice!I do
Plan on going too College I guess there is no
Way around it if
I
Want to learn everything about the business world.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:43 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
You asked for advice and you got it. Don't go crying and calling people bullies just because it's not what you wanted to hear. Starting a business is very hard work and you're incredibly naive and stupid if you think you can just buy stuff cheaply then sell it on for a profit. Eve's advice is probably the best advice in this thread in terms of what you might actually need to start a viable business. He is not bullying you or trying to crush your ambitions in any way. Grow up and come back in 10 years when you actually have some real life experience and you're not just a barely literate brat who's straight out of high school. Then you can call other people's advice stupid. Till then, go cry to someone who cares.

Last edited by Hiro94 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:09 am Reply with quote
Hiro94, STOP TROLLING EVERYONE WHO IS TRYING TO HELP YOU BY BEING REALISTIC.

The simple, sad, unfortunate truth is, opening an anime retail store right now is a horrible, horrible idea- doubly so for someone with no experience in running a business.

I live in the northwest, in the Seattle suburbs. We have at least one Asian grocer in virtually every town in a 50 mile radius from my home- two within walking distance of work. We are home to Sakura Con, amongst the top 10 biggest anime cons in the US. This should be prime space for anime retail. Do you know how many of the anime shops are out of business now? Practically ALL OF THEM. of the dozen-ish I used to visit, 3 are still open. The bootleg store in the mall, the Hello Kitty and bootleg store across the street from the giant Asian market, and the hole-in-the-wall model shop in Seattle. When I talked to the Hello Kitty store owner last year, she said they might be gone by the end of this one.

You are facing a double whammy of retail falling out of favor as people which to online, and anime falling out of favor as fans from the boom continue to age out of it. If your store fails, you could end up neck-deep in debt with destroyed credit, unable to secure the funding to go to school and learn to do anything other than minimum wage labor as you attempt to pay off your bills.

If you're really, truly serious about this- go to college, get a 2 year degree of some kind in business FIRST. That, at least, will improve your chances. While you're at it, pitch your idea at your professors- I'm sure they'll be able to explain much more succinctly how risky this whole thing is.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:22 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:

The simple, sad, unfortunate truth is, opening an anime retail store right now is a horrible, horrible idea- doubly so for someone with no experience in running a business.

I live in the northwest, in the Seattle suburbs. We have at least one Asian grocer in virtually every town in a 50 mile radius from my home- two within walking distance of work. We are home to Sakura Con, amongst the top 10 biggest anime cons in the US. This should be prime space for anime retail. Do you know how many of the anime shops are out of business now? Practically ALL OF THEM. of the dozen-ish I used to visit, 3 are still open. The bootleg store in the mall, the Hello Kitty and bootleg store across the street from the giant Asian market, and the hole-in-the-wall model shop in Seattle. When I talked to the Hello Kitty store owner last year, she said they might be gone by the end of this one.

You are facing a double whammy of retail falling out of favor as people which to online, and anime falling out of favor as fans from the boom continue to age out of it. If your store fails, you could end up neck-deep in debt with destroyed credit, unable to secure the funding to go to school and learn to do anything other than minimum wage labor as you attempt to pay off your bills.

If you're really, truly serious about this- go to college, get a 2 year degree of some kind in business FIRST. That, at least, will improve your chances. While you're at it, pitch your idea at your professors- I'm sure they'll be able to explain much more succinctly how risky this whole thing is.
Thank you for the advice.I have been seriously considering going too college for Business.If it will help me get a kickstart on learning about Business then im all for it.My problem before was i wanted too go to College but i had no clue what i wanted too go for.This definately gives me a reason too go now.
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Hiro94 wrote:
DuelLadyS wrote:

Thank you for the advice.I have been seriously considering going too college for Business.If it will help me get a kickstart on learning about Business then im all for it.My problem before was i wanted too go to College but i had no clue what i wanted too go for.This definately gives me a reason too go now.

If you have the determination to go to school and start your own business then I wish you nothing but the best of luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
No_im_zero

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
Some of you guys give really nice advise lol ....NOT.... anyway i realise this is an older post but figure id comment.

www.aaaanime.com after you get a sales tax id you can sign up and get wholesale price list. also like someone else said start online first. its a lot cheaper lol http://www.volusion.com is a good ecommerce solution site

dont get all rude with me people saying i have bad grammer and cant spooool (haha spell). its an anime forum site i dont care about spelling and punctuation and all that noise:)
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
But we do care about things like spelling and grammar around here, No_im_zero, and we have an expectation that anyone who is going to be participating in forums on a regular basis is going to make at least a reasonable effort to use it. It is written into the forum's rules, in fact.

If you wish to blatantly ignore this in future posts then you may not be allowed to post freely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
L0v3ly3rr0rAki666

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:12 am Reply with quote
I think they were a tad blunt but the information they provided was really useful. I have the same idea's as well and I found the response very realistic and helpful ^^. While have aspirations is nice, you almost need the blunt reality to be successful in starting a business. When it comes down to it, it's about money, not anime. Anime merch is only the product you will be supplying ^^;
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Locking dead thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2