• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime preceding / without manga counterparts?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosierjay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:48 am Reply with quote
any one know of animes that either
came before the manga or that there is no manga.

first one i can think of is evangelion, and well escaflowne too.

any other ones?

[EDIT: The title without capitalization was irritating me, so I corrected it. To the OP: Please make an effort to use capitals appropriately in the future. It is expected around here. - Key]

[EDIT: Made the thread a little more exact in description. -TK]
David.Seth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote
What I can think of at the moment:

Serial Experiments Lain
Key the Metal Idol
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
Kaiba
Eden of the East
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:42 am Reply with quote
Aside from movies (I believe they are created before ani-manga), I can't think of anything save Evangelion and Escaflowne.

Unless Mysterious Cities of Gold is one of them.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:52 am Reply with quote
^ Really? There are tons.

Off the top of my head, there are plenty of anime that came as original stories and the manga developped later -if at all. Tiger & Bunny, Blood-C, Code Geass, K, Madoka Magica, Mawaru Penguindrum, Xam'd, just to name a few and that's not counting the ones that are based on novels, LNs or VNs, which technically aren't based on manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:06 am Reply with quote
There's a lot of such titles out there not based on existing source material. Sunrise in particular is famous for doing this; much of their catalogue is Anime-original. Besides the various Gundam shows there's stuff like Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, s-CRY-ed, The Big O, Tiger & Bunny, My-HiME, Gasaraki, Phi Brain: Puzzle of God, Infinite Ryvius, Witch Hunter Robin, Overman King Gainer, Armored Trooper VOTOMS, Gekito! Crush Gear Turbo, and of course there's the currently-airing Valvrave the Liberator. And for brevity's sake I've left quite a number of others. And that's just one company.

Why do you want to know?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:27 am Reply with quote
Though anime not based on existing source material is in the minority, there is still a ton of it out there. Trying to list every single title is an exercise in futility, unless perhaps there was some more specific thing you're looking for.

But what the hell, let me add a few anyway.
Cowboy Bebop
Madoka Magica
Moribito
RahXephon
Samurai Champloo
Wolf's Rain

You can also add the bulk of movies (that are not spinoffs from TV shows) to that list.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:51 am Reply with quote
^
Actually, Seirei no Moribito is in fact based off the first in a series of novels; the novel in question was published in 1996, a decade before the Anime aired. While much of the Anime is indeed original - owing mostly to the brevity of the novel it was based on - it is still an adaptation rather than an original work.

Edit: reworded things a little.

Last edited by dtm42 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
lem

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:02 am Reply with quote
rosierjay wrote:
any one know of animes that either
came before the manga or that there is no manga.

first one i can think of is evangelion, and well escaflowne too.

any other ones?

the ANN encyclopedia already has many of your answers. If there is something else related to the show you are wondering about it is usually listed with that show, movie or whatever it is that you are wondering about.

If it's not in ANN's encyclopedia then it may already be entered at WIKI.

If those two sources don't work for you there's always google...

one can go on all day with the ANN alphabet, so here are just a few that do not have a published manga as source material that I'm aware of at the moment... if you or anyone can say otherwise about these well then I'd certainly be interested.
Tokyo Magnitude
Tree of Palme
Tokyo Godfathers
Perfect Blue
Paranoia Agent
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:56 am Reply with quote
Check here for a decently sized list.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:05 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Actually, Seirei no Moribito is in fact based off the first novel in a series; the novel was published in 1996, a decade before the Anime aired. While much of the Anime is indeed original - owing mostly to the brevity of the novel it was based on - it is still an adaptation rather than an original work.

Interesting. I knew there was a manga but that ran concurrently with the anime so I assumed it was an original work. But evidently both are derived from a previous, earlier work.
foxinthestars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:47 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
^
Actually, Seirei no Moribito is in fact based off the first novel in a series; the novel was published in 1996, a decade before the Anime aired. While much of the Anime is indeed original - owing mostly to the brevity of the novel it was based on - it is still an adaptation rather than an original work.

Interesting. I knew there was a manga but that ran concurrently with the anime so I assumed it was an original work. But evidently both are derived from a previous, earlier work.

Yup. The first two novels were translated into English by Scholastic and I highly recommend them. Sadly they dropped the series after that.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:05 am Reply with quote
Wikipedia maintains a fairly extensive list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Anime_with_original_screenplays

Anthropologist Uehashi Nahoko, the author of Moribito, also wrote the novel from which Kemono no Sou-ja Erin was adapted.

The most recent show I've watched that was an "anime original " was last summer's Tsuritama. I believe Suisei no Gargantia is also an original work. The manga is an adaptation of the original anime story.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote
FLCL was also originally an anime.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Everything from the Macross franchise is based on original stories. There have been manga adaptations from the various Macross anime titles, but the anime versions always came first.

I also believe that most of the mecha anime titles of the 80s are original works not based off of manga.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
There's quite literally an entire page of Anime First titles on TVTropes. Of course, this list is for things that got a (probably terrible) manga adaptation later, not things that never got anything afterwards.

For things that never got a terrible adaptation later, well I don't see a trop for it, but things can always be listed!
I don't think I've seen any manga adaptations of anything by Ryosuke Takahashi. I'm sure it's because some of these series are now quite old (although still awesome), but even his newer things like Flag don't have one. It could of course be that making a manga entirely in first person is very difficult. Though the internet tells me some of his 90s series got either slightly later or concurrent manga.
I'd imagine a lot of original OVAs (ie not already made specifically for a manga tie in) might not get a manga adaptation. For example, Freedom was made for Nissin Cup Noodles to celebrate some anniversary or something, I don't think it was meant to go manga no matter how popular it might've become. Also, it was CGI, that was kinda part of the big deal there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2