• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does anyone sell Kodocha (all 102 episodes with subtitles?)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thericon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather not get the watered down US version if I can avoid it.

Thank you.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Thericon wrote:
I'd rather not get the watered down US version if I can avoid it.

And how is it "watered down" if the show content was not altered and the original Japanese dialogue (subtitled) is offered on the DVD? It's an uncut release complete with its native language; I fail to see what's "watered down" about that.

Anyway, if you're really just that picky, the only option left to you is to pick up the Japanese Region 2 release. But odds are better than good that there're no subtitles on that version, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Thericon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:33 pm Reply with quote
duplicate msg Embarassed

Last edited by Thericon on Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Thericon wrote:
I heard/read that the english version soon to be released will have some conversations altered from the subtitled version. For example, instead of "Only teach her kiss on cheek till she graduates" is changed to "Don't sing all night long."

Two things:

1. Already released. Not "soon to be."

2. When you mention discrepancies between the "English version" and subtitles, are you referring to differences between the dub and sub? Or are you referring to differences between some generations-old fansub and the professional translation job? If the former, why does it matter? The DVD's bilingual anyway, and by your posts thus far it doesn't seem you had any interest in the dub to begin with. If it's the latter, I'd be taking fansub translations with a grain of salt; they aren't always the most reliable source on the planet for "proper" translation jobs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Thericon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Thericon wrote:
I heard/read that the english version soon to be released will have some conversations altered from the subtitled version. For example, instead of "Only teach her kiss on cheek till she graduates" is changed to "Don't sing all night long."

Two things:

1. Already released. Not "soon to be."

2. When you mention discrepancies between the "English version" and subtitles, are you referring to differences between the dub and sub? Or are you referring to differences between some generations-old fansub and the professional translation job? If the former, why does it matter? The DVD's bilingual anyway, and by your posts thus far it doesn't seem you had any interest in the dub to begin with. If it's the latter, I'd be taking fansub translations with a grain of salt; they aren't always the most reliable source on the planet for "proper" translation jobs.

From above:

1. "Already released. Not "soon to be." "

Do you mean all 102 can be had today? If so, would you be so kind as to indicate where?

2. "Or are you referring to differences between some generations-old fansub and the professional translation job?"

I read the Dub was different than the fansub yes. Hence the watered down comment. Did I understand you to say that the subtitled version is also on the DVD? If so, I'd hopefully be happy with that.

Thanks
Abel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Do you mean all 102 can be had today? If so, would you be so kind as to indicate where?

Using Google I found DVD available here. They have all 26 volumes.

Quote:
Did I understand you to say that the subtitled version is also on the DVD? If so, I'd hopefully be happy with that.

Oh. Then you want the Funimation release. It includes the subtitles and is the only licensed North American release. Any other "release" is illegal and sales information with regards to obtaining bootleg copies is not permited on this forum.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Thericon wrote:
I read the Dub was different than the fansub yes. Hence the watered down comment. Did I understand you to say that the subtitled version is also on the DVD? If so, I'd hopefully be happy with that.

Well, the thing is, unless you're talking about a 4Kids release or the occasional young children's show from TokyoPop or ShoPro/Viz, then odds are about 20-to-1 it'll be a bilingual subtitled/dubbed release. Especially if it's coming from one of the "Big Four" domestic anime distributors: Geneon Entertainment, Bandai Entertainment, ADV Films, or as is Kodocha's case, FUNimation. So yes, there are both an English dub and a Japanese audio track with English subtitles on the Kodocha discs being released here.

Unfortunately, they're only up to volume two in releasing it, but then patience is a virtue. The only other (legal) option is to get the subtitle-less Japanese DVDs (and then a DVD player that would support Region 2). And I wouldn't trust a bootleg as far as I could throw one, as more than half of the ones I've seen have had outright awful translations that weren't even in the ballpark. Nevermind the fact that they're highly illegal.
MacGuyver77

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:52 am Reply with quote
Do you have a Fry's Electronic's in your area? They are really good about ordering in 99% of the new releases and they carry most of the older titles as well. Give them a shot.
Thericon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:49 am Reply with quote
Abel wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Did I understand you to say that the subtitled version is also on the DVD? If so, I'd hopefully be happy with that.

Oh. Then you want the Funimation release. It includes the subtitles and is the only licensed North American release. Any other "release" is illegal and sales information with regards to obtaining bootleg copies is not permited on this forum.

I'm not looking to buy/get illegal *anything*, just to be clear. I only want to get the entire series with Japanese voices and English subtitles.

The part is that is slightly confusing me Crying or Very sad is if I can *currently* get all 102 episodes (is that the same as 26 volumes Question )

If I have to wait for a company to legally make all 102 episodes with English subtitles, I guess I'll wait Wink

Thanks again to all who've tried to assist me in my new found joy of anime.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:18 am Reply with quote
Thericon wrote:
Abel wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not looking to buy/get illegal *anything*, just to be clear. I only want to get the entire series with Japanese voices and English subtitles.

The part is that is slightly confusing me Crying or Very sad is if I can *currently* get all 102 episodes (is that the same as 26 volumes Question )

If I have to wait for a company to legally make all 102 episodes with English subtitles, I guess I'll wait Wink

Thanks again to all who've tried to assist me in my new found joy of anime.

No, not all 102 episodes are available in the US, just two volumes and 8 episodes from FUNimation. The dub is not watered down, just much more accurate. This quote:

Thericon wrote:

Tells me you saw a bootlegged version or a fansub at one time, who's translator had poor spelling and poor grammar, and who also guessed at what they were saying. Can you tell us what episode this is in? Somebody might be able to verify this for you by watching the dub and having the Japanese Literal translation subtitles on at the same time (Not the english dub subtitles). However, FUNimation was unable to get music rights for a particular group, so whenever that song plays, the audio is muted, and they had to replace the ending for about 13 or 26 episodes.

If you want all 102 episodes, you'll need to get the R2J releases, but it'll probably be on 51 volumes at 2 episodes each.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1