• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Street Fighter headed for PSP

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JinchuuGundam85

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:14 am Reply with quote
What is Double Upper?
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:57 am Reply with quote
A portable version of "Upper"? Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Izlude

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:06 am Reply with quote
Upper is basically the PSone/Dreamcast version of Street Fighter Alpha 3. Thats what they called it in Japan.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:30 am Reply with quote
Double Upper still sounds retarded.

I would prefer "Return of the Instant Hell Murder"
wolfcry
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:44 am Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:

I would prefer "Return of the Instant Hell Murder"

Im with ya there. They put upper in the name obviously to associate it with the previous consol games, but really does take away from the game. It sounds more like a kirby title than street fighter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:53 am Reply with quote
First, Soul Calibur III, now this new Street Fighter game. So why are we covering game news all of a sudden?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:55 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
First, Soul Calibur III, now this new Street Fighter game. So why are we covering game news all of a sudden?

I was just gonna say the same thing. What does this have to do with anime?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:58 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:

JETBLACK87 wrote:

Street Fighter Alpha Generations, Street Fighter Alpha and Street Fighter II V are what it has to do with anime.

As for the rest of the topic:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17043&postdays=0&postorder=asc&topic_view=&start=0
wolfcry
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:04 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:

You guys arn't the first to be confused. Please see

here: http://animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17043&postdays=0&postorder=asc&topic_view=&start=0

and here: http://animenewsnetwork.com/poll.php?id=52

and from the soul Calibur thread:

Quote:
Seeing as how Soul Calibur is much less "anime-like" and generally has less to do with the anime industry (or seems to, anyway) than other fighting games of the Guilty Gear & Street Fighter variety, it was kinda odd to see it get news coverage over those others

In short, its my job now to put gaming news up on the site. Something ANN is trying out until I screw things up and get fired XP. But really, this is much more relevant to anime than Soul Calibur was. This game in particular is based off of Street Fighter Alpha 3: Upper. Prequels to that game included Street Fighter Alpha and Street Fighter Alpha 2. Sorry for the confusion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:13 pm Reply with quote
wolfcry wrote:
But really, this is much more relevant to anime than Soul Calibur was.

Yeah, this sort of gaming related news I wouldn't really mind. If the game has some direct link to anime, like it's based on an anime (the Inu-Yasha example from the poll), or was a game with a noteworthy anime adaptation that came later (like Street Fighter, though very much unlike the horribly obscure Panzer Dragoon anime), I see it as fair ground. And bishoujo games, having a much closer link to anime than your average console game, would be natural choices, too. It's just when we get into things like Soul Calibur that really have no current connection to anime outside of "a lot of anime fans like it" (in which case, we might as well add Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, & Marvel/DC comics to the list of newsworthy items, to be completely honest) where it gets a bit iffy, in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:

It just sounds like the silly sort of odd English a lot of fighting game attacks are. Look at Joe Higashi of Fatal Fury/King of Fighters fame's "Screw Upper" attacks and whatnot. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Isaaru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:52 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
areaseven wrote:

JETBLACK87 wrote:

Street Fighter Alpha Generations, Street Fighter Alpha and Street Fighter II V are what it has to do with anime.

As for the rest of the topic:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17043&postdays=0&postorder=asc&topic_view=&start=0

I wouldn't mind if ANN reviews anime related games. It would be nice to hear feedback from our peers on the latest anime style games.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that Street Fighter is headed for the psp. I hat to admit it but it really has no home on current consoles. Everyone just seems to bash 2d fighters senslessly due to the fact that they fail to update the graphics. I can see a bright future for 2d fighting buffs like myself on the PSP.
wolfcry
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
I'm glad that Street Fighter is headed for the psp. I hat to admit it but it really has no home on current consoles. Everyone just seems to bash 2d fighters senslessly due to the fact that they fail to update the graphics. I can see a bright future for 2d fighting buffs like myself on the PSP.

You have a point there, and even I find myself loosing interest in them for that exact reason. Graphics arn't what make a game, and it's been said many times, but I can't help but think "ok? its been done before. countless times. Im tired of 2d alread". that is, untill I play it and its a great game.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:59 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
This poll shows us that our readers want gamind news.

wolfcry wrote:

While adding gaming news is not a bad idea, I'd like to say that polls like that are not statistically valid. We could open polls like

"Would you like ANN to give Megumi Hayashibara an exclusive interview this Saturday?"

"Would you like ANN to give away free anime DVDs every month?"

"Would you like ANN to buy me a new Ford Mustang?" (just kidding Twisted Evil )

Polls like those will always get far more ayes than nays.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2