• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Help regarding Heat Guy J

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Silva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:48 am Reply with quote
I won the first DVD and the box for the first three discs (plus the extras disc), along with WXIII Special Edition, for like $15 bucks a few months ago. I finally got a chance to watch Heat Guy J, and I am really, really interested in completing the series, however I have a doubt...

I saw that the first three volumes of the series are being bundled together in some stores. However, their low price is really confusing me... individual volumes have an MSRP of 29 bucks (some stores can sell them as low as 24 bucks). But I've seen the Volume 1-3 pack for $40 bucks.

I was wondering, are these discs -exactly the same- as the individual releases, or are they stripped somehow? Smaller, perhaps? I want the real volumes, not some thinpak release or something like that.

Any help is appreciated.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote
There is both a 3-pack for volumes 1-3 and a 4-pack of 4-7 out there; this is really the best way to buy this series.
David Silva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps, but I'm a completist and would like to buy the boxes as well. I have yet to find the package with volumes 4 to 7 online, though.

Thank you for your answer. Smile
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:06 pm Reply with quote
David Silva wrote:
I have yet to find the package with volumes 4 to 7 online, though.

Rightstuf
David Silva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Ahem.

I have yet to find the 4-pack for a reasonable price. ^^;
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:41 am Reply with quote
David Silva wrote:
Ahem.

I have yet to find the 4-pack for a reasonable price. ^^;

$40 for 4 discs is not reasonable?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:44 am Reply with quote
David Silva wrote:
I won the first DVD and the box for the first three discs (plus the extras disc), along with WXIII Special Edition, for like $15 bucks a few months ago. I finally got a chance to watch Heat Guy J, and I am really, really interested in completing the series, however I have a doubt...

I saw that the first three volumes of the series are being bundled together in some stores. However, their low price is really confusing me... individual volumes have an MSRP of 29 bucks (some stores can sell them as low as 24 bucks). But I've seen the Volume 1-3 pack for $40 bucks.

I was wondering, are these discs -exactly the same- as the individual releases, or are they stripped somehow? Smaller, perhaps? I want the real volumes, not some thinpak release or something like that.

I believe they're called "Bailey Boxes" and are an original concept that Geneon came up with (at least, to my knowledge).

They take a popular anime series, put 3-4 volumes of them in a bundle package, and use these Bailey Boxes to market them as sort of a half or partial box set.

The only ones I've seen to this point are: Chobits, 2 boxes (1-3 and 4-6), Last EXILE, 2 boxes (1-3 and 1-4, for some weird reason), and now Heat Guy J, 2 boxes (1-3 and 4-7).

I've never bought one of these Baily Boxes myself, but I don't see any reason they'd change any of the outside or inside content of the DVDs themselves. You get the DVDs you want, a small box to hold them in, and for a much lower price than it would cost to buy them individually.

What you could do is just buy the volumes that come with artboxes, then buy the Baily Boxes, take those DVDs out and put them into the artboxes, then give away or sell your leftover DVDs and either trash, keep, or discard the Baily Boxes in whatever way you choose.
David Silva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
$40 for 4 discs is not reasonable?

Not when DeepDiscountDVD sells the first three discs for $24. :p
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
David Silva wrote:

I believe they're called "Bailey Boxes" and are an original concept that Geneon came up with (at least, to my knowledge).

They take a popular anime series, put 3-4 volumes of them in a bundle package, and use these Bailey Boxes to market them as sort of a half or partial box set.

The only ones I've seen to this point are: Chobits, 2 boxes (1-3 and 4-6), Last EXILE, 2 boxes (1-3 and 1-4, for some weird reason), and now Heat Guy J, 2 boxes (1-3 and 4-7).

I've never bought one of these Baily Boxes myself, but I don't see any reason they'd change any of the outside or inside content of the DVDs themselves. You get the DVDs you want, a small box to hold them in, and for a much lower price than it would cost to buy them individually.

What you could do is just buy the volumes that come with artboxes, then buy the Baily Boxes, take those DVDs out and put them into the artboxes, then give away or sell your leftover DVDs and either trash, keep, or discard the Baily Boxes in whatever way you choose.

I know they did the Bailey Boxes with X too. And the Signature Series box of Lain.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:36 am Reply with quote
theoriginalbilis wrote:
I know they did the Bailey Boxes with X too. And the Signature Series box of Lain.

I thought those X (TV) boxes were Baileys, I just never got a good enough look at them because I already have the big leather-ish box that houses all 8 volumes, so I didn't really care Razz.

In any case, I really want to see Hajime no Ippo, but I don't want to buy all 15 volumes they plan to release. I hope they either make a thinpack box set or start releasing Bailey boxes for it pretty soon Anime dazed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1