• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/Stay Night: DVD or Blu-Ray?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StormSky92

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
Despite all the hate this series gets, I really enjoyed it. I want to add it to my ever-expanding anime collection. However, i've read very mixed reviews about Sentai's DVD and Blu-Ray releases. I'm mostly concerned about the Blu-Ray video quality. Some reviews i've read say it's really bad, others i've read say it's really good. I'd like to here from anyone who owns the series. Is the Blu-Ray video quality really that much better from the DVD? Which version is the better buy?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I would go DVD. It is risky to buy Blu-ray from that time period (post analog but pre HD) and would only if it was listed as a recomposite in Japan (recent example Gurren Lagann) or praised in N. America like the way Ouran was.
Anime_Otaku35

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Fate/Stay Night is actually native HD. It was created at 720p. Personally, I would recommend the Blu-rays. They look alot better than my Geneon DVDs even with the occasional artifacting issue.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
No way, man, VHS is the way to go!!!

Okay, so if it isn't already totally obvious, I have absolutely nothing useful to contribute here. I recently received a F/SN DVD set for free so I don't see myself double dipping.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Otaku35 wrote:
Fate/Stay Night is actually native HD. It was created at 720p. Personally, I would recommend the Blu-rays. They look alot better than my Geneon DVDs even with the occasional artifacting issue.

SD source was used for these N. American Blu-ray. They didn't get the nice new master that was used for the Japanese box in '09.

Also, spec listed as 1080i.

If they used the shiny master I would have said "ALL MY MONEY!!!11one".

So, like I said in the original post: buying N. American Blu-ray for anime from this era is mostly a nope.avi.
Anime_Otaku35

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Anime_Otaku35 wrote:

SD source was used for these N. American Blu-ray. They didn't get the nice new master that was used for the Japanese box in '09.

Also, spec listed as 1080i.

If they used the shiny master I would have said "ALL MY MONEY!!!11one".

So, like I said in the original post: buying N. American Blu-ray for anime from this era is mostly a nope.avi.

The Japanese Blu-ray box is 1080i as well isn't it? At least that's what it says here. Not to second guess you, but do you have a comparison link or something to show that Sentai didn't get the Japanese Blu-ray box master. I'm curious now, because I always assumed that was what they used.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1