• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime North (Canada)

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Ok i'm planning to go to the next Anime North convention up here and i'm wondering what the experience was like for people who have gone to it. I'm just wondering if it'll be worth the trip and I'd really like to hear people say if they really had a great time there. Thanks for any responses in advance!

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
iBooks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:02 pm Reply with quote
It's really fun to attend... make sure you check out the DDR players, it's downright scary how fast they move.

But the best part is saying goodbye to all the money if your wallet Smile

Make sure to check out artists alley, you can find high quality cheap art.
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I thought that is was great. I had a great time and I really enjoyed myself. Everyone seemed to have a great attitude and the cosplayers were absolutely amazing. There are even some work shops like colouring cells or making a cosplay costume. I met some great voice actors like Richard Cox and a few others. I can say it is definately worth going to and if I am not mistaken the biggest anime convention in Ontario.
anjana90

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I reallly love Anime North!, it's really fun....you should go Very Happy
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
iBooks wrote:
It's really fun to attend... make sure you check out the DDR players, it's downright scary how fast they move.

Agreed! Some can do a 500 combo on the heavy mode! my highest was 120 on light! Anime North is great, its by the airport and judging by your location on your avatar you could prob spend the weekend there without having to rent a hotel room. I am going to go to Anime North this year! start saving your money now, it can get expensive plus the deals are very tempting!

Last edited by mistress_reebi on Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Freako

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote
Ya, Anime North rock my socks off. I m really hopeing I can get the money to go this year (Canjet lower the flight fairs). Im also hoping to bring some newbie's to anime there this year to...... hehehe. The first time I went it was an eye opener becuase I was "There Are People Like Me!!". You allways meet the coolest people there.

P.s Go to the Anime North Larp event this year, the power's of Freako Comands you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mk-II

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I've been going to AN for two years straight. The first time, I was dragged into going but I'll admit, it was really fun.
Seeing familiar faces, meeting new people, constantly leeching free DDR/ITG games. Who needs to buy anything from their overpriced dealer's room. Laughing

The only problem I've had was that 2005's karaoke (at the Doubletree) was cut short for some reason. A total letdown. I was the next one up to embarass myself in front of my friends with an Inuyasha theme song.
x_ekibyougami_x

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Anime North is AMAZING! This is going to be my second year going and I am heading up with a HUGE group of people from the capital as well as SOAP (Society for Ottawa Anime Promotion). There are so many things to do, both at the convention center and in the hotel. You don't abosolutely HAVE to spend alot of money, but if you go anywhere near Artists Alley or the Dealer's Room you most definately will. Everyone is SO nice and there is always room for haggling and friendly debate. Look for me in the Artist Alley, because I am probably getting a table.
One thing though... Avoid the elevators in the hotel as much as you can. Or try to get on with very few people. There were several cases last year where the elevators became stuck because they were overfull. One person was even sent to the hospital, but that was when there were 12 people in the elevator for a few hours. I even got stuck with three of my friends and four other people for a little while and it wasn't that bad. But it is not something which I wish to be repeated.
So, in the end, COME DAMN YOU!
PS. Anyone near the Capital should contact SOAP if you are looking to go to the convention. They get a chartered bus every year and head down in a HUGE group. I went drove with my friends last year but I may take the bus this year. And their package (transportation, pass and room) is a pretty good deal. I am heading down to The Comic Book Shoppe soon to check if they have the papers yet, so I will report back with the official price for anyone who is interested. Anyways... Here's the site in the meantime: http://soap.ottawa-anime.org/
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Mk-II wrote:

The only problem I've had was that 2005's karaoke (at the Doubletree) was cut short for some reason. A total letdown. I was the next one up to embarass myself in front of my friends with an Inuyasha theme song.

That sucks, The J-idol at the congress centre wasn't very amusing, they all sucked so badly! I was thinking about doing some karaoke but first I have to take some more voice lessons that way I don't sound like those J-idol singers. But then again karaoke isn't supposed to be amazing. I'm sure there were some in that contest that actually could sing but sadly I didn't hear them. Practise extra for this year, I hope you get to sing this year.
Mk-II

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:53 am Reply with quote
Thanks.
I'm really looking forward to trying my best this year. I remember Anime 2004 karaoke, I was total wreck, singing lowtone and stuttering a bit to the Hikaru no Go ending song. As well, I'm hoping to catch a glimpse of some of the other karaoke-related events. I'm really not much of a vocalist but I've had my fair share of vocal classes in Grade 9 Laughing
I may take a shot at something from the Zeta Gundam movie or the Overman King Gainer theme song.

Aside from that, anyone try booking at the Doubletree recently? Appearently, they're fully booked. So I'm leaning towards either the Radisson or the Reinassance. I've been looking for some solid opinions and reading through their policies to see which one would work out myself and company.
Freako

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:06 am Reply with quote
Hopefuly I can get my Cosplay Costume done in time for An
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Freako

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:49 am Reply with quote
Blam, costume done! And my friends and I are going has a group.
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:32 pm Reply with quote
well , It looks like you guys enjoyed it, there shouldn't be a reason that i wouldn't. so i'll be attending my first anime convention!

first: where can i get some info as what is going on and where? do we get sufficient infor at the place?

should i get the weekend pass ( i'm in toronto ) or attending 1 day is just enough to see the major part? i'm kinda low on budget, BUT can get a part time job for a while if attending the full weekend is worth it. ( cause i know i'll end up spending more on buying stuff if i do ) Mr. Green
Freako

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote
I would go for the whole weekend myself, this is a awesome con for your first con. Money wise it is not to bad, the thing that really hits you is the hotel fee I would just say is get a bunch of friends together is one room and have the "right anmount of people in it" cough cough.... if you want to hear more about the con add me to your msn. or look on the website www.animenorth.com
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:15 pm Reply with quote
TAKAVAR wrote:
well , It looks like you guys enjoyed it, there shouldn't be a reason that i wouldn't. so i'll be attending my first anime convention!

first: where can i get some info as what is going on and where? do we get sufficient infor at the place?

should i get the weekend pass ( i'm in toronto ) or attending 1 day is just enough to see the major part? i'm kinda low on budget, BUT can get a part time job for a while if attending the full weekend is worth it. ( cause i know i'll end up spending more on buying stuff if i do ) Mr. Green

My prom is on the Friday and I'm busy on the Sunday so I'm only going on the Saturday. I went on just the Saturday last year and it was fine. It's in Etobicoke at the Congress Centre and the Double Tree Hotel (to register it's at the Congress Centre), take the 401 and get off on Dixon Road. It's by Pearson Airport. Just to warn you north Bound on any highway will be busy on Friday night and Saturday Morning and busy going south on Sunday night; not sure about east and west but people will be going to their cottages that weekend.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3