• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion 2.22 to Run on Toonami on August 31

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
Oh YESS. 2.22 is AMAZING. I can't wait to see it again!

Too bad Clone Wars is replacing E7. Another show I'll be skipping, sigh.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Why get people's hopes up? They're going to want to see 3.0 next and it's the most disappointing anime since the third Tenchi OVA.

that would be the bebop movie, an overly budgeted and overly produced session.... it doesent really add or take anything from the bebop universe, but its solid entertainment at least, i was expecting more somehow, but it didint quite deliver.

Uh, no, the CB movie was incredible BECAUSE it was like a big episode, but on a bigger scale, with higher stakes. Since the series itself was largely episodic and nothing at that point could be added to the underlying storyline, anything except a big episode would have disappointed.

All the build up from 2.0 is completely wasted. Asuka, Mari, and Misato are practically nonexistent in the plot, Rei does very little, and even the action is mostly disappointing when it finally occurs. The timeskip is pointless, too. Shinji may be the main character, but if he's the only character to do anything or develop, it's a waste of cast and a waste of time.

Eva 3.0 is more disappointing, because it's 90 minutes of characters doing almost nothing, not developing whatsoever in a series of movies intended to be a serialized story, and 70 percent of the dialogue is needless technobabble.

The only thing 3.0 has going for it are the spare few moments of decent action and the gorgeousness of the visuals. I'm even considering skipping adding it to my collection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:30 am Reply with quote
I'm waiting for Funimation to release Eva 3 before I watch it; but the first two Rebuild films are excellent (especially 2.22), so I'm prepared to give the third the benefit of the doubt. Even if it isn't very good (of which I've heard conflicting reports), as long as they can nail it on the forth, I will consider the Rebuild project a success.
TheGameNinja

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:50 am Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
Yes and i can see CN doing it again they are lazy and how can the goodie be a trailer for the DVD/BD? or do you mean for wars? if so prob not i bet it's for Eureka 7 AO to air at some point

Toonami isn't on CN anymore. Toonami is on Adult Swim and the two function as separate channels. It isn't like AS is a block on CN. It used to be but it hasn't been for years.

I meant a trailer or a release date for the third movie. Funimation has only said that they have it, not when it's coming out.

vangelionite88 wrote:
so you're telling me that the anime was actually doing so well ratings wise CN pulled the plug on toonami? that is bullshit, I thought people were just loosing interest, bad ratings and all. but i guess that wasant the case.

I didn't say it was doing well. Except for Naruto, Toonami wasn't doing well at all at the end. But that was caused by the network shortening it, not licensing shows for it, pushing it later at night, and not promoting it as much. CN killed off Toonami because they didn't want it. They didn't want anime. Naruto was one of their best performing shows and they still cancelled it. That was done around the same time CNreal and the huge influx of Canadian shows happened.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:07 am Reply with quote
Back then Toonami was going astray on CN's eyes when it was attracting too much of the boys demographic but not enough to compensate for the losses in the girls demographic. In terms of business advertisement-wise, CN wanted a bit more balance to sell to ad sponsors.

IIRC Clone Wars tells the stories in the time gap between new Star Wars and old Star Wars. And with new movies coming, it'd make sense to keep the Star Wars lores alive and people interested.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:28 am Reply with quote
So ... being Toonami and all, won't they have to censor this?
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:58 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
IIRC Clone Wars tells the stories in the time gap between new Star Wars and old Star Wars. And with new movies coming, it'd make sense to keep the Star Wars lores alive and people interested.
No, it's set between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.
TheGameNinja wrote:
I didn't say it was doing well. Except for Naruto, Toonami wasn't doing well at all at the end. But that was caused by the network shortening it, not licensing shows for it, pushing it later at night, and not promoting it as much. CN killed off Toonami because they didn't want it. They didn't want anime. Naruto was one of their best performing shows and they still cancelled it. That was done around the same time CNreal and the huge influx of Canadian shows happened.
This - the sort of moron that tries to rebrand Cartoon Network as "More than just cartoons" is capable of anything(especially since it's damn well obvious that their ratings problems started when they radically changed the cartoons they were getting).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:07 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

No, it's set between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.

Ah yeah, Anakin is still there, isn't he.
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:28 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
So ... being Toonami and all, won't they have to censor this?

There was extremely mild censorship for Rebuild 1.11, much as there was for the original series when it ran.

The original series just edited a few nudity shots, and bleeped out cursing (which I think is a bit more intrusive than just muting it) - there came an episode where Asuka shouted "Sheiss!" (shit) and they loudly bleeped it, that was the first one.

As for the nudity....the only one that is prominent in memory is the first, but really it was quite rational. During the scene where Shinji falls on Rei when she's naked out of the shower in episode 5, they left most of the scene in....but edited out the shot of his hand directly on her breast. That's nothing too major.

Similarly, Rebuild of Eva 1.11 cut out the same shot of his hand on her breast.

The problem of course is that Rebuild of Eva 2.22 deviated from the original...pleasantly so. In 1.11 they were still using the same keyframe storyboard shots as references; in 2.22 they just focused on adapting the story, rather than recreating iconic shots. The result is that even recreated scenes just seem...slightly different. The camera angles, etc.; the same scene is happening but it's "shot" completely differently.

But anyway, Rebuild of Eva 2.22 features more nudity, more violence, and I think some of the cursing seen in later episodes. So we shall see.
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote
Pretty much the reason I gave up on Rebuild 3.....is because from reports, it seems Anno stepped back from it and let the other writers put in whatever the hell they wanted, without oversight or direction.

I've always championed the position that "what the writers say is the official version" -- and that Eva would have been much less "confusing" if we approached it *as historians making a documentary about Gainax and what influenced them*, instead of god-damned English majors trying to impress people with their crazy theories.

I'd use the example of Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining" and the multiple interpretations it has drawn. Look at the documentary film "Room 237" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_237)

Some of these interpretations seem surprisingly relevant - genocide of Native Americans, the Holocaust, the Moon landing have all been suggested as themes. They do say within the movie that it's built on an Indian burial ground, so maybe this is revenge (like Poltergeist ) -- but then you progressively move on to wacky theories not really based on things Kubrick or King said, which become increasingly outlandish and based simply on playing "connect the dots" by analyzing the numerology and alleged symbolism in "the Shining".

Eventually, you turn into Nash from "A Beautiful Mind" - seeing intricate patterns that simply do not exist (Nash's schizophrenia combined with his mathematical skill lead him to try to "decode" deeply hidden messages to Commie spies in everyday magazines).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

The problem of course, is that this isn't a novel, with a single creator: George R.R. Martin is the only one working on "A Song of Ice and Fire".

Most movies have one lead creative developer, director who came up with the idea and *maybe* another writer or two.

Evangelion was like a god-damned collaborative work between all of the members of Gainax.

Thus my entire....sisyphean attempt, to stress "the creator's intention and writer interviews are key to our understanding"....fell out of wack, with the realization that the writing of Evangelion was a collaborative process -- thus the entire thing is a "Gestalt" creation.

I mean think about it: is Sadamoto's Eva Manga "real"? He was indeed a writer on the original, but only one writer among several. That's his version.

And I thought we could at least focus on Hideaki Anno's version, but the more you real the more you realize they change their minds, and that ultimately Anno just stepped back from it.

Do you realize that Rebuild of Eva 2.22 *was not* supposed to have a happy ending? It was supposed to end with Rei dying as in the original series --- the movie studio made them change the ending for fear of harming ticket sales. Wow.

The real point I hit the wall was last May, when I read this post by Gwern, the moderator of the Eva Mailing List:

Quote:
http://eva.onegeek.org/pipermail/evangelion/2013-May/007230.html

Most fans approach Eva uncritically and try to interpret it as a
complete pre-conceived pre-planned work, and tie themselves in knots about the omniscient Anno, when a simple look from the external perspective reveals that the questions being asked aren't even sensible when you take into account the 'live feeling' [which Anno explained in interviews]

_Rebuild_ started with a promise to abandon the secrets and mysteries,
yet piled them on with nary a care, from Mari to the Key of
Nebuchadnezzar to the flash shots of the 'Adams' to the coffins on the
moon to SEELE's activities and so on and so forth. It started as a
promise to revolutionize the stagnant anime industry again, yet Anno
proceeded to bankroll 1.0 entirely by himself and by taking on this
incredible financial risk, produced a completely conservative money
maker that was shot-by-shot in some cases. We thought it was going to
move beyond otaku and fanservice as part of its general appeal, and it
then gave us the 'slutsuit' in _2.0_, and then _3.0_ provided even
more fujoshi fanservice than they had ever hoped for. And so on and so
forth. What are we to make of Anno's many extracurricular activities
during the production of _Rebuild_, like starring in a Ghibli movie or
directing _Kandoku Shikkaku_, or what we saw in the _2.0 CRC_ with
almost all ideas and work apparently coming from others and Anno's
involvement limiting to approving suggestions?

....and I realized the truth of that. I've been busy with thesis work, but I was all set to make a complete reboot, finally get to work on my fansite as never before; I read that and I realized what Rebuild of Eva 3 had become. So taking into account this and that I still have thesis work, I didn't renew my domain name in June.

My entire ideology was "champion what the writer intended" -- but Evangelion's writing is a group process; they disagreed vehemently on Rebuild 3, and Anno pretty much abdicated by this point. How does my "creator intention" ideology survive that?

Sadamoto's manga ending was actually pretty much how I would end a TV/movie-verse, it was nice. Judging from the interviews in "Complete Destruction of All Records", Tsurumaki had a clearer view of what Rebuild needed to be, they wouldn't listen. I hope some day we get to see Tsurumaki's version.

I am not alone in this disillusionment: http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/Newsletter/News1/Evangelion_30_The_Aftermath_4995.aspx

Even Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell) or Toshio Okada (former president of Gainax) have openly complained and felt baffled by Rebuild 3.

Rebuild of Eva 2.22 felt like a...fulcrum, a crux point. It could have really gone in a new, innovative direction.

But killing Asuka? Only to then bring her back but give her no screentime? *Not actually establishing* who the heck Mari is or why she is important? Interminable Shinji/Kaworu sex scenes? A pointless 14 year time-jump?

This isn't what I signed up for.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote
"Eureka 7" is ending? Well, I'm going to miss all the child abuse, unlikable characters, and mean-spirited humor.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS ON TV.

It provides a perfect excuse to snag as many of my otaku friends and geek out with an Eva viewing party Very Happy

/I'm weird like that
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
"Eureka 7" is ending? Well, I'm going to miss all the child abuse, unlikable characters, and mean-spirited humor.

Someone obviously stopped watching the series partway.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
KoujiTamino wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

Someone obviously stopped watching the series partway.

Well, when that's how you start your series, it just makes a bad first impression. People say it gets better half-way through the story. To quote the Spoony One: "**** you! Why can't it be good now?"
mdreura

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I can remember when those couple of eps of Evangelion were scheduled to air on the Cartoon Network some years ago as a one-time thing for 'Giant Robot Week' and it seemed like the whole internet was blowing up with people screaming about how TV audience couldn't handle the gore and Christian iconography.

And I feel old.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4