• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
OEL Bizenghast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Aw, shame about the inside. Nice cover though. So why is the name Vincent any more "gothic" than any other name? The meaning of that word "gothic" has been completely changed to its original meaning which was an architect’s term to describe a pointed arch. Wink
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Aw, shame about the inside. Nice cover though. So why is the name Vincent any more "gothic" than any other name? The meaning of that word "gothic" has been completely changed to its original meaning which was an architect’s term to describe a pointed arch. Wink

I picked up a copy of Bizenhast from the Tokyopop stand/booth at Otakon this past year. The cover caught my eye. While it could definatly use improvement, I did think that it possesed a TwilightZone ish quailty that I usually enjoy.

I agree on the art pages. Those show such potential...
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:16 am Reply with quote
"vincent" just sounds gothic-y and is usually associated with dark characters... I'm assuming maybe in some history of time there was some trend in stories to have the "dark" guy named vincent....

for example, i remember in an old dub of yu yu hakusho, hiei's name was changed to "vincent" ... i think it was because hiei is the "mysterious demon that wears black and is cruel and heartless"
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:12 am Reply with quote
The FILIPINO dub?
deathbringer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:03 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
"vincent" just sounds gothic-y and is usually associated with dark characters... I'm assuming maybe in some history of time there was some trend in stories to have the "dark" guy named vincent....

No one here's heard of Vincent Price?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
shirokiryuu wrote:

No one here's heard of Vincent Price?

THANK YOU! Anyone into gothic culture knows who Vincent Price is at the very least, if they don't at least worship him.

Gothic does not originally come from the term for the pointed arch. The Muslims actually came up with the idea first. When architecs first started implementing it in cathedrals, a lot of people hated it because it was completly different from the classical Greek/Roman styles that were considered the very example of high culture itself. So they decided to call it 'Gothic' after a group of "barbaric" people in Europe, to show their distaste.

Gothic was not a term used just for the arches, but the style itself which includes the flying butresses, vaulted ceilings, rose windows, etc. So Gothic is a style, not an arch. The 'Gothic' subculture took on the name because of it's obsession and connection with the style. The Gothic style is elegant and dark, and since it was originally used for chruches before it spread out into common architecture with houses, it's associated with Christian religion, another part of the image of today's Gothic culture.

Now with that art history lesson out of the way... Bizenghast! I have yet to pick up the book, but I've been a fan of Alice's work now for quite a while. People can see her deviantart account here: http://sadwonderland.deviantart.com/

She has a very lovely style with fine lines, lots of detail, and intricate flowing hair I just love.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with the recent review on ANN that Bizenghast is pretty lame. Admittingly I only got through about half of it, but what I read was enough to tell me not to bother with the rest of the product. Amaturish at best, with none of the good artwork that the cover seems to promise.
As for Vincent being gothic, I can't really comment as I know jack about goths other than they shop at Hot Topic and hate when you say they listen to Marilyn Manson.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I picked up the first volume of BZG, and I fond it to be kinda boring story-wise, but the page art is ok, and the cover is gorgeous! she isn't horrible, and I think she has potential, but she needs to be a little more careful with her pages.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Juding from reviews and her deviant art account

i think that she is a very good artist, but i don't think she's a good manga artist..

i mean... for example, hayao miyazaki's nausicaa has great art and a great story, but the manga style is awkward because everything is boxy and it's not very flowing.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:21 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
The FILIPINO dub?

yeah, i was talking about that dub, i hesistated because i couldn't remember exactly where it was from..
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:49 pm Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
for example, hayao miyazaki's nausicaa has great art and a great story, but the manga style is awkward because everything is boxy and it's not very flowing.

I actually prefer that type of panel layout, as opposed to the crazy angular/open/sometimes confusing layouts found in most conventional manga. Then again, I was taught to draw comics with the grid system so being drawn to grid panels is just in my nature.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I was taught to draw comics with the grid system

Ouch, I feel pain for you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:05 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
shirokiryuu wrote:
for example, hayao miyazaki's nausicaa has great art and a great story, but the manga style is awkward because everything is boxy and it's not very flowing.

I actually prefer that type of panel layout, as opposed to the crazy angular/open/sometimes confusing layouts found in most conventional manga. Then again, I was taught to draw comics with the grid system so being drawn to grid panels is just in my nature.

i also what i realized is that it was in the flipped format (i just recently reread it) and it also caused it to me more awkward to read
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:23 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
shirokiryuu wrote:

I'm somewhat in the middle: it works for some things, but not others. Personally, while Nausicaa does have good art, Miyazaki is clearly not a master of layouts the way, say, Otomo is. Of course, the dynamic page layouts would look ridiculous in something like Louis Riel or The Pushman. Personally, I still think Tezuka has some of the best and most inventive layouts, Japanese or otherwise.
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote
The cover art also snagged my attention. But being a good artist versus a good manga artist are two different things. Nobuhiro Watsuki (Rurouni Kenshin) would be considered both, while Masashi Kishimoto (Naruto) is more of a good manga artist, and Kouyu Shurei (Alichino) is a good artist, but not necessarily a good manga artist. I hope she comes out with something with an improvement in the furture, because her DeviantArt gallery shows a lot of good concept and innovation. It just needs more work, I think. First times aren't always good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2