• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Boogiepop Phantom (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pythos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:33 pm Reply with quote
The novels and manga have been licensed by Seven Seas.

animenewsnetwork.com/pressrelease.php?id=1335
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
A short capsule history of Boogiepop (if you want more detail, you can always read my article in PA85 on the Boogiepop and Others movie Anime catgrin ):

Novels: First novel, Boogiepop wa Waranai released in 1998, written by Kouhei Kadono and illustrated by Kouji Ogata. Currently ongoing, with the thirteenth book, Boogiepop Lost in Möebius having been released this April. There are also three (four?) short story anthologies set in the Boogiepop universe titled Beat's Disciple. The first three novels were just recently licensed, and further novels will be licensed based on the performance of the first three.

Manga: Two-volume adaptation of Boogiepop wa Waranai released in 1999. Again, written by Kouhei Kadono and illustrated by Kouji Ogata. Second two-volume manga series, Boogiepop Dual: Loser's Circus also released in 1999, written by Kouhei Kadono and illustrated by Masayuki Takano. Dual focuses on an original story by Kadono.

Anime: Twelve-episode Boogiepop Phantom debuted in early 2000, directed by Takashi Watanabe (currently helming Shakugan no Shana), serves as a direct sequel to Boogiepop wa Waranai that also features story elements from other novels (the story of Dr. Kisaragi, for example, stems from the seventh book, Boogiepop at Dawn).

Live-Action Movie: Boogiepop and Others, a film adaptation of Boogiepop wa Waranai (and as a result, a prequel to Boogiepop Phantom), released in 2000 about a month after Boogiepop Phantom ended. Directed by Ryu Kaneda.

Hope that helps. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:52 am Reply with quote
The events in the anime dance around the actions of Echos and Manticore and uses the pillar of light to link the episodes. The live action film deals with Echos and in many ways is easier to understand the anime since the anime only hints to the events in the live action film. I enjoyed watching the anime (sequel) before watching the film adaptation of the first book since it gave the anime a complex backstory. Watching the live action film was to me much like reading the Simirillion (which Tolkien started well before LotR) after finishing The Lord of the Rings. The excellent audio commentary on the Boogiepop anime DVDs also provide some explanation about the series as a whole.
Dilandau

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:02 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Currently ongoing, with the thirteenth book, Boogiepop Lost in Möebius having been released this April. There are also three (four?) short story anthologies set in the Boogiepop universe titled Beat's Disciple.

Technically there are 10 main Boogiepop novels, with 3 more set in the Boogiepop world, and 4 compilations in the Beat's series. I only just found this out from seven seas a week or so ago, I thought it was 13 too.

And the first novel is due out in Feb Anime hyper
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:31 am Reply with quote
Dilandau wrote:
Technically there are 10 main Boogiepop novels, with 3 more set in the Boogiepop world,

True, but it's easier to just say "there are thirteen Boogiepop(-related) books." Kinda like saying "there are 10 UC Gundam anime" as opposed to "there are six main UC Gundam anime, with four more set elsewhere in the Universal Century."

Just figured I'd opt for brevity is all. Anime smile + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
scaper8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:17 am Reply with quote
As far as I know it is still slotted to play, but they have quite a few that they recently licensed.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:42 pm Reply with quote
"slotted to play"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
taoofjord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I just watch the first few episodes of this series. I had bought the HIDEOUS looking brick boxset from Right Stuf (truly the ugliest dvd case and box art I've ever seen) which deterred me from watching it right away.

The first thing I noticed was the interesting filters and lighting effects the series uses. It's a really awesome way of giving the show the feeling that you are watching a live action film from the 20's. The sound, on the other hand, is post-modern all the way and is definately some of the best I've heard in any animated show/movie. It's very atmospheric and well done. The whole show has a similar feel of Paranoia Agent but it feels more initimate and real to me. As much as I love Paranoia Agent I can't but think that this could end up being superior - so far it truly is well made on all accounts. A shame the box art and dvd menus are among the worst I've ever seen.

I'll turn this thread into my final impressions thread when I'm done watching it.

Anyway, the series has gotten some good reviews here on the encyclopedia yet a search only brings up a discussion of it from 2003. Pretty surprising. What do you guys think of the show? Does it drop in quality from where I've seen up to or does it remain consistant? Why don't more people talk about it?
RDespair

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I own the brick boxset. Watched the first 5-6 episodes with some friends, then they lost interest and I never got around to finishing it. It's the only anime that I own that I haven't watched completely - I keep meaning to watch it, but it's been so long that I think maybe I should just start over with the first episode. Maybe I'll get around to it this week or the next.

I've been watching Higurashi Naku no Koro Ni recently and that show reminds me a lot of Boogiepop Phantom - both are horror series, both do weird things with jumping around in time and between characters giving you the same scenes but from different perspectives.

Are you watching the dub or the sub? I like the sub better, but I'm thinking maybe I'd be better off watching the dub since it can be difficult telling characters apart just by the appearance and having different English voices to distinguish them might help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr.Roboto

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:16 pm Reply with quote
The name Boogiepop really turned people off I think. The names really stupid. Also it looked ugly and it's boring.
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I own the same ugly-as-hell DVD set. I believe you've mentioned it before in another thread.

Anyway, I felt the series had a story worth delving into by watching the series more than once. I think actually my favorite episode is near the end, and it involves to cops having a conversation together accompanied by flashbacks of the students. I really don't remember much from this anime which makes me sad because I do remember enjoying it. I never got around to watching it a second or third time but I will get around to it some time. Knowing some of the key plot elements from the later part of the series will probably help, but one reason I can't remember much from the series I think is because it's too hard to tell who is who and what happened where, it's all very confusing, and is very literally much like an actual puzzle that you have to piece together. The character designs were frustratingly samey and the fact I was playing it in Japanese to avoid the mediocre English track didn't help.

All in all, I thought the series was great aside from the fact it's harder to piece together than it should be, plus minus points for being an ugly brick Razz. It felt like a complete story more than Serial Experiments Lain, but was more jumbled together than Paranoia Agent.
ThatMatt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Heres one word I would have put in the title: Confusing. I've watched this show twice now, and I still dont understand half of what was going on. It was very hard to follow IMO, so that may have turned people off.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:11 am Reply with quote
Actually, before going any further, if i was you, i would read the novel Boogiepop and Others that came out this year and maybe even the live action film based on it, because the anime picks up right after it ends. Trust me, the show will make a lot more sense. When i first watched the anime about two years ago, i liked it but just based on the notes in the background section of the dvd, you could tell you were only getting about 10% of the total story. There's also a manga. I would look at all these works before the anime, if i could go back in time. It's a show that requires multiple viewings and really taking notes so you can keep the characters and timelines straight. But its cool because it challenges your brain. I think it has a big following else, Seven Seas wouldnt be blitzing the bookstores with the new manga and novels. I love the whole mythos of the story.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:34 am Reply with quote
Boogiepop Phantom is a great series, but not an easy one to watch as it's one of the most complex series ever made. Things don't happen in chronological order, the time frame jumps back and forth between current time, one month earlier, and five years earlier, some scenes repeat but from different perspectives, and you never really see the big overarching picture, just the limited view available to the focus character of the given episode. There's even one entire episode that plays out in reverse if you watch it carefully. In many senses it has a somewhat comparable structure to the recent (and not yet licensed) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya.

Where Boogiepop differs, though, is that each episode is a piece to a greater jigsaw puzzle, and only once they're all put together is the full picture clear. Most people will probably not fully understand it on a single view-through, and I highly recommend keeping notes on who's who. (If you're too lazy to do that yourself, I recommend checking out this link, which includes a spoiler-loaded cast breakdown at the end of the review.) Also pay attention to the extras on a couple of the disks, as they put the series into much better perspective and help explain some things.

Also unlike MoHS, Boogipop has depth and greater meaning. It's ultimately very much about coping with change, which is a big part of being a teenager. There's a line Toka speaks somewhere around the 5th episode which defines the whole series:

Quote:
There’s a difference between missing the old days and being stuck in the past. In the same way that the city must change over time, it’s important that people move forward in their lives.

Beyond that, I'll offer one helpful hint for understanding the series: the fact that Boogiepop seems to be voiced by different voice actors at different points (whether in English or Japanese) is intentional and critically important.

If you like the series but are struggling to work everything out, I highly recommend checking out at least the first of the Boogiepop novels (Boogiepop and Others), which is mostly a prequel to the series but also fills in some of the gaps in the events happens one month and five years earlier and better explains a few scenes that do appear in the anime.

And for those who dislike the name: the afterward for the second novel explains (sort of) where the "Boogiepop" name comes from
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:43 am Reply with quote
Mr.Roboto wrote:
The name Boogiepop really turned people off I think. The names really stupid. Also it looked ugly and it's boring.

I suggest you can the shallow spamming crap unless you have something of substance to add. Confused This is twice now you've gone into a thread screaming "sucks sucks sucks!" without explaining why. You didn't explain why you thought Naruto had a crappy story, and now you haven't explained why you thought Boogiepop was "ugly and boring."

This sort of thing isn't appreciated around here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5