• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Inks Deal with Bay Area Transit

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:56 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
I was in SF earlier this summer and there were several ride-free days (where anyone and everyone could ride free) to entice people to ride trains and buses and leave their cars at home in order to cut down on pollution. It's a great system in my view, at least compared to most American cities.

As for the advertising campaign, well, I think it might work. The days that were free when I was there were pretty packed, but then again so were the roads.

Those "ride free" days (aka "Spare the Air" days) are not that common, we just happened to have an extraordinary hot summer this year.

As it is, BART is constantly in a state of financial peril--it just can't find the ridership. Anything--and I do mean just about anything-- to increase ridership and demand for BART and other mass transit services here in the Bay Area is a major step forward, because the traffic around here is terrible already.

Kudos to Viz for using such a great marketing strategy. It's one of those rare ones that might not only benefit the sponser, but the service they're attached to as well.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I think that this plan might work out for Viz. They're targeting a good demographic with 12 year-olds, who aren't too old to have too much on their hands, and aren't too young to just think that it's something normal. I think that a little younger than 9 or 10 will be unsuccessful, though.

Viz should try striking a deal like this with the MTA over here on the East Coast. It'd be pretty sweet, and I'd have a good reason to use public transport whenever I need to go to the city (NYC for those of you who aren't familiar with Jersey lingo). But I can't pull it off that I'm 12 or younger. I'm only 14 but everybody who I meet always thinks that I'm at least 16 (most likely because I'm a hairy Indian Laughing ). Either way, I'm sure they wouldn't mind handing that stuff out to people who are interested in it, no matter how old they are. Anyway, I just hopes that this deal is successful for both sides.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Damn. Makes me wish I was about 15-16 years younger, and lived in the bay area, Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote
This is an interesting marketing strategy. It sounds like a good idea.

And Full Moon doesn't sound random to me. They need something for the girls, and there is nothing offensive in Full Moon. Plus, that's the one shojo title they have an anime for at the moment.
matthewlow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:40 pm Reply with quote
This one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

Now I need to buy infinite Bart Tickets just to get Inuyasha, Naruto, and FMA... I'll use them eventually so it won't be a waste.

Now to beg the workers to let me have goodies...
Illusionary_Systems

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Interesting marketing strategy. One could always scrounge around for free stuff people just happened to leave behind. Laughing
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote
Woah. I drive past the Bart station everytime i go to SF on Saturday.. but... i doubt my mom would let me lurk there. Anime hyper

And i'm three years too old~

i want free stuff... (and fma stuff...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2