• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bubblegum Crisis Blu-ray Kickstarter Meets Pledge Goal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
No, I can't admit it, because Anime Sols has been mentioned quite a few times on ANN, and even got a plug on ANNCast. Again, anyone pretending they never heard of AS at this point is just being dishonest or looking for any excuse to tear it down.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
So AnimeSols is mentioned on a few anime sites, Kickstarter is mentioned everywhere. Just being on Kickstarter means more people will find your project. Are you seriously trying to say that AnimeSol's advertising and reach is the same as Kickstarter? If you want to solidify the belief that you're a lunatic, go ahead. The AnimeSols projects would actually have a better chance of success if they were done on Kickstarter.

Maybe I have to simplify it:

Kickstarter BIG
AnimeSols small.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
walw:
Quote:
Are you seriously trying to say that AnimeSol's advertising and reach is the same as Kickstarter?

No, but the people who need to be aware of Sols should know about it by now, and are just making every kind of excuse to avoid supporting the shows, possibly because they already saw 'em fansubbed. Though more likely because they get off on picking on an industry newcomer.
F-Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
While you're absolutely right walw6pK4Alo, I can also see what GATSU is saying.

While Kickstarter may be a big well-known site, that doesn't mean everyone just constantly browses Kickstarter to find projects to fund. The Bubblegum Crisis kickstarter, just like the Time of Eve and Kick-Heart kickstarters before it, got supporters because people heard the news on sites such as ANN. Shows on Anime Sols got the same kind of treatment: news articles, social network site sharing (tweets, etc) and yet, Anime Sols isn't as popular, because anime fans seem to be constantly willing to look for excuses (like "This isn't a big site like Kickstarter" or "I want a complete set" even though the Tezuka specials or Hurricane Polymar are clearly not doing any better despite being complete).

And we know there's not a shortage of people who know about Anime Sols. Creamy Mami Set 1 was getting $3000 per day during its last days. You could say it was because of Crunchyroll's ad, but then Black Jack subsequently also got $3300 every day for its last four days. Why did people not simply start contributing earlier, so it wouldn't have to be such a close call with an average of $100 per supporter?

At some point, anime fans should accept that some of the blame is on them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, if you don't want in on Anime Sols, fine. But don't be discouraging everyone else.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
F-Man wrote:

This is honestly something I do find annoying about fandom at large. It's like taking the phrase "The customer is always right" absolutely literal & twisting it into meaning that everyone else (i.e. licensing companies, the original Japanese licensors, translators, other fans, etc.) has to be the "wrong" ones when something doesn't happen exactly the way someone didn't want it to be. Then if one of the "wrong" parties points out the flaw in this logic the party gets attacked for blaming the customer.

I'm not saying that I'm not included in that, by the way (everyone has done it at least one point or another in their lives), but it's hard to really argue against it. Essentially, anime fans (though it can stretch to most media fans in general) will find any & all reasons to make something fail, because it's easier than to make something work... I mean, seriously, what's easier than doing nothing?
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
F-Man wrote:
because anime fans seem to be constantly willing to look for excuses (like "This isn't a big site like Kickstarter" or "I want a complete set" even though the Tezuka specials or Hurricane Polymar are clearly not doing any better despite being complete).

And we know there's not a shortage of people who know about Anime Sols. Creamy Mami Set 1 was getting $3000 per day during its last days. You could say it was because of Crunchyroll's ad, but then Black Jack subsequently also got $3300 every day for its last four days. Why did people not simply start contributing earlier, so it wouldn't have to be such a close call with an average of $100 per supporter?

I gotta' disagree with you there. There are a lot of problems with AnimeSols' setup that make it difficult for people to support the site, just by its basic fundamental nature.

Myself, for instance --- I would love to own every series that they were trying to make available on the site. But the model makes it difficult for me to spend so much money all at once. At the beginning they had I think maybe 6-8 series? At $40 a set, that would've been around $300 to own them all. The thing is, a big part of what made that difficult was that if the goal wasn't met for a series, it seemed as though they wouldn't try to raise funds for it again (IIRC, they were going to leave the videos up for a while and eventually stop uploading new ones). In the long term sense, that puts a funder into a financial pickle. Imagine if each drive for the different series met their goals, and you contributed to each one --- then, after that, they're all followed by the drives for the next sets, with the same looming threat that if if the goal isn't met, they might not raise funds again. Now that you're already committed to all those series, you're going to have to lock yourself in to pledging for each of those drives too, and then for the next drives, and the next drives, etc. until you've bought all the sets for all those series. I'm not made of gold and I can't afford to spend that much money in succession like that, so looking at the site from that perspective basically left me with the option to only commit to the series I was most interested in and that I thought had a good chance of being funded the whole way through (Creamy Mami and later, Dear Brother). And from that you can see how the setup for AnimeSols is basically forcing the shows to all compete against each other for funding, because most people aren't going to be able to afford everything, and that hurts the odds for each individual series to succeed.

And when you think about it like that, it makes putting in a donation for a single set of a segmented series that much more risky, because if you're not paying for the entire series all at once, there's the clearly visible risk that the subsequent sets won't all reach their pledge goals, leaving you with only a partial collection. And with a pledge system that has various levels of investment, just imagine if the first set in a series succeeds largely thanks to a generous donation from a small handful of passionate individuals. Unless they're fabulously wealthy, that same small handful isn't going to be able to bear the weight for each of the subsequent sets in the series as well. And since the drives for the subsequent sets immediately follow one after the other, that doesn't give a lot of time to build up a fanbase for the series in order to get enough people to meet the second set's goal. I can't help but wonder if that's been the case for Creamy Mami set 2, which is in the last days of its drive and less than halfway to the finish line.

And I do have to agree with people mentioning the hesitance to invest into AnimeSols compared to Kickstarter --- Kickstarter is a big site with a track record, you hear about it everywhere and that builds immediate consumer confidence that they're a legitimate and safe business. Anime Sols, on the other hand, doesn't have that same background or track record, and while the site is very practical, it doesn't have an industrial feel to it that inspires that same sort of confidence (the site honestly feels kind of gloomy). Those basic differences I think are a good part of the reason why the BGC Kickstarter was able to succeed so quickly, and why Anime Sols has been struggling.

These are fundamental problems with the basic structure of the site, and it doesn't help that they don't seem to have a lot of fan awareness either. I love AnimeSols for what they're trying to accomplish, but the way they're doing it seems like a bad model.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
vermilionone wrote:
I don't think it's made sufficiently clear, but as I understand it any money greater than the initial goal will be spent towards extras that the community of donors chooses.

After production costs for that unit and profit-shares to AnimEgo & the production committee, yeah.

Kruszer wrote:
So is this actually going to be sold by distributors, or is only the people who pledged going to get it.

Per Q&A on the page, yes to BGC on BD, but not necessarily as nice a package or extras.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh:
Quote:
At the beginning they had I think maybe 6-8 series? At $40 a set, that would've been around $300 to own them all.

So don't own them all. I don't think Sols expects you to. But if you're going to complain about the prices, then you might as well not buy from Sentai or Funi, either.

Quote:
The thing is, a big part of what made that difficult was that if the goal wasn't met for a series, it seemed as though they wouldn't try to raise funds for it again (IIRC, they were going to leave the videos up for a while and eventually stop uploading new ones). In the long term sense, that puts a funder into a financial pickle.

If you want to be realistic, this is the anime market in general. There are a lot of titles where the demand is fairly low, in terms of DVD purchases. But I guess the whole point in circumventing that is convincing enough people to help support the show. Which again, isn't any different from say, getting your friends to buy more copies of Glass Mask set 1, so that Sentai will put out the second set.

Quote:
And from that you can see how the setup for AnimeSols is basically forcing the shows to all compete against each other for funding, because most people aren't going to be able to afford everything, and that hurts the odds for each individual series to succeed.

Again, I don't think they expect all the shows to succeed. There are going to be winners and losers no matter how much traffic the site gets. That's the risk of doing business. And I assume that the parties involved acknowledged that risk. But to just throw in the towel and not actually try to support a company which has your favorite show is just spitting in the faces of the investors-and fellow fans who want to have similar opportunities to be involved in the industry one day.

Quote:
And when you think about it like that, it makes putting in a donation for a single set of a segmented series that much more risky, because if you're not paying for the entire series all at once, there's the clearly visible risk that the subsequent sets won't all reach their pledge goals, leaving you with only a partial collection.

Well, there was no guarantee that people who pre-ordered Urusei Yatsura and KOR would pay for the show, the movies, *and* the OAVs...

Quote:
And with a pledge system that has various levels of investment, just imagine if the first set in a series succeeds largely thanks to a generous donation from a small handful of passionate individuals. Unless they're fabulously wealthy, that same small handful isn't going to be able to bear the weight for each of the subsequent sets in the series as well.

Again, that's why you tell your friends. Also, if you're going to go there, the same people using that argument don't seem to mind paying upfront whatever Animeigo will undoubtedly charge for AD Police and Bubblegum Crash.

Quote:
And since the drives for the subsequent sets immediately follow one after the other,

It wasn't immediately after. There was a three month gap between sets with two months to save up, which, again, is double the time you get on Kickstarter.

Quote:
that doesn't give a lot of time to build up a fanbase for the series in order to get enough people to meet the second set's goal.

If the fanbase isn't there, fine. But, repeating myself, don't tell me that no one has heard of any of these shows, when the fansubs have thousands of views on Youtube.

Quote:
and less than halfway to the finish line.

It's over the halfway mark.

Quote:
And I do have to agree with people mentioning the hesitance to invest into AnimeSols compared to Kickstarter --- Kickstarter is a big site with a track record,

Sorry, but just like Ebay, KS has its share of people reneging on buyers, too.

Quote:
Anime Sols, on the other hand, doesn't have that same background or track record,

FFS, Pierrot, Tatsunoko, and YTV have shares in this site!
F-Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I'm not made of gold and I can't afford to spend that much money in succession like that, so looking at the site from that perspective basically left me with the option to only commit to the series I was most interested in and that I thought had a good chance of being funded the whole way through (Creamy Mami and later, Dear Brother).

But you did at least commit to the series you were most interested in or that had a good chance. Most people don't make it that far.

I used to have a Facebook discussion with people from my area about Anime Sols. One guy admitted to already knowing about it, and was going to pledge for Tobikage "if it becomes closer to its goal." Why? Why not just pledge straight off? If every person who thinks like that just pledged as soon as possible, every show on the site would succeed. There is not a lack of fans for any of the shows on the site, just people who I suppose don't care enough.

Personally, I'm only interested in the Tezuka anime. I waited years for an opportunity like this, and this is actually better than anything I could have hoped for. The success of Anime Sols is so important to me that I'm even willing to help Creamy Mami, just to save my dear Tezuka shows. But we'll see.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
F-Man: I'm hoping we'll finally get those damned 80s Phoenix movies myself.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
^ Dragon Ball Z was released on Blu-ray here before Japan. They're about to start up again here. Still no BD in Japan.

It's pretty meaningless to release DBZ on Blu-Ray, anyway. It's not a notable improvement to the Dragon Box DVDs. And just look at what they plan to do with it now. It's embarrassing.

Comparatively, look at the big mess the BGC DVDs were, quality wise. The Blu-Rays are a much bigger step up.

It helps that BGC had an actual budget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
I wrote a whole rant above F-man I think people should read.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:16 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
No, I can't admit it, because Anime Sols has been mentioned quite a few times on ANN, and even got a plug on ANNCast. Again, anyone pretending they never heard of AS at this point is just being dishonest or looking for any excuse to tear it down.

That's a pretty ridiculous stance to take.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:56 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's pretty meaningless to release DBZ on Blu-Ray, anyway. It's not a notable improvement to the Dragon Box DVDs. And just look at what they plan to do with it now. It's embarrassing.

My husband and I were all ready to double dip and purchase the upcoming Dragon Ball Z Blu-ray sets, until we saw that they are being released in a 16:9 cropped widescreen format. At this point, we're now very hesitant to purchase these sets because of the cropping.

At this point, I'd rather stick with our seven Dragon Boxes; while they picture quality may not be as nice as the upcoming Blu-rays, the episodes in these boxes aren't cropped.

As to the topic at hand:

Congratulations to AnimEigo for their success with the Bubblegum Crisis Kickstarter campaign! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5