• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ojaru Maru Creator Dead at Age 48

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
This is very sad news, but the way I see it, maybe what she meant was that, though she was lucky to have produced such a big success as "Ojaru Maru", she couldn't come up with another idea just as great, and this tortured her in the back of her mind. Sort of like the girl in "Paranoia Agent" who created that stuffed animal that was a big success for her company but couldn't create another. Being successful in Japanese media is a very high pressure occupation and some just can't take the weight of failure. My condolences to her surviving family.
ShootYouStars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:52 pm Reply with quote
That's sad... judging on how popular it was, it was obvious she was great at what she did. Depression really does cut through all logic... Rest In Peace... Crying or Very sad
akurashy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why but i have the feeling that there is more to it than just low self-steem. i don't want to add more since i don't want to make a big issue about it.

but think about it , high pressure, the "haters", people who works with her that doesn't like her, and to add the feeling of not coming up with anything else, enough to drives you nuts.

sad news =/, depression sucks, i just recently been recovering from one that took me a lot of things away, i'm not sucidial though, but can stay for weeks without motivation to do anything =/
ParadoxCafe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:36 pm Reply with quote
God Bless her soul. I'm sure if she would have asked for help she would have gotten it.
icepick314

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:55 pm Reply with quote
terrible news...i have no idea HOW successful Ojaru Maru is in Japan but if it's on TV, it must be doing pretty well...

this brings up interesting question....I wonder just how much pressures are there in Japanese industry, especially in anime and manga, just to keep up the previous success?

I think because of the tight market, the pressure must be enormous compaired to US where even moderately successful entertainers do well but probably won't be able to continue if they are in Japan....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Awaken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:52 pm Reply with quote
This is one of those sad lessons in life: You can't let anything completely consume your life whether it be food, love, or your job. Got to try your best to keep your life balanced and put things in perspective....

...sadly some of us don't learn that lessson in time....
wings of words

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Hooooly crap, this is RIGHT after my friend was talking to me after Ojaru Maru... I really wonder how she'll react to this.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
DELETED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:49 am; edited 2 times in total
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one that couldn't understand the main character in this show. He spoke a weird old dialect, just like someone from 1000 years ago should!
This show had only been on a year when I was in college in Japan, and it was really popular. I remember going on a field trip and I had to share a room with one of my professors; he always watched this show when it was on. So I guess it appealed to people of all ages.
Like has been said before, Ojarumaru is one of those shows like Sazae-san that is too Japanese to ever be released here. Sad
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:02 am Reply with quote
I'm afraid that I will not win the hearts and simpathy of many people here but I dont care, because I think that I am right and I want you guys to understand my point and my position on it.

This person was stupid and wrong! she killed the most precious thing in this world out of a stupid job!!! what about the parents that gave her life? what about the people that spent time, tears and joy with her? was she thinking in the big harm that she would cause to all the people that she is leaving behind?

I do not have simpathy or pity on suicide, I think that kind of people is weak and coward, that they are afraid to step out and fight their own life problems and make their life the best experience possible, no, is easier just take some poison or leap over a building because she thinks that her job sucks!! please for the love of the one most important to you!!!! I suck at my job and that is no reason to kill myself, humans are creatures that can improve and achieve in any stage of life, she had tons of options, even quit her job and learn another one, or just go to a friend or a stranger willing to hear her out and cry until her eyes are dry..but no, there is the easy way that the sick and mighty japanese society has...suicide.

When they will freaking learn to express themselves and love...
her soul will not be at peace...ever, until she atone the horrible sin she commited, why instead of suicide she chose to give her organs to somebody sick? or go overseas to help people in need? but was her choice, an easy one, let's end everything and be born again right? not.

I can't understand people that kill themselves...there are many millions of lives lost of really precious people that didn't want to die, I lost my first two babies before they were born, one was dead inside the womb of my loved one when he was just 4 months of gestation, the other died after he was almost 11 months inside the belly of my girlfriend, he was born weak and there were nothing we could do, I didn't see him, I didn't get to hold him in my arms as a first time father, what was I was going to do with all the love forged during that time? the happiness, the dreams, the love that I was going to express to him... I cried them both with all the pain on my heart still asking what did I do to deserve such early deaths of my most loved ones? but I am alive, and no matter what conditions do I live or how many faliures in life I get, I will keep on living and loving the people that I know and the strangers that someday will be loved ones too.

I dont feel sorry, I feel dissapointed of her, not on what she did in life, but on doing what she thought it would be easier to do to end all her problems, for such a stupid reason, this people in japan is sick...Japan itself is sick...

But here we are, the alive ones... you dont know me but hear this thing...no matter how horrible or how many times had happened to you, you are alive for a reason and a purpose, you are not living for yourself, you are living for somebody else, just like somebody was/is living for you.

find your purpose in life...and fight on, death is unavoidable anyway
Ranmah

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:34 am Reply with quote
I watched some on "Kid's Station." The show was funny and I got a good chuckle from it.

I was surprised that she didn't think she was doing a good job. I feel sorry for her. The Anime Industry can waste your soul pretty quickly.

That just sucks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:56 am Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
I'm afraid that I will not win the hearts and simpathy of many people here but I don't care, because I think that I am right and I want you guys to understand my point and my position on it.

This person was stupid and wrong! she killed the most precious thing in this world out of a stupid job!!! what about the parents that gave her life? what about the people that spent time, tears and joy with her? was she thinking in the big harm that she would cause to all the people that she is leaving behind?

I do not have simpathy or pity on suicide, I think that kind of people is weak and coward, that they are afraid to step out and fight their own life problems and make their life the best experience possible, no, is easier just take some poison or leap over a building because she thinks that her job sucks!! please for the love of the one most important to you!!!! I suck at my job and that is no reason to kill myself, humans are creatures that can improve and achieve in any stage of life, she had tons of options, even quit her job and learn another one, or just go to a friend or a stranger willing to hear her out and cry until her eyes are dry..but no, there is the easy way that the sick and mighty japanese society has...suicide.

When they will freaking learn to express themselves and love...
her soul will not be at peace...ever, until she atone the horrible sin she commited, why instead of suicide she chose to give her organs to somebody sick? or go overseas to help people in need? but was her choice, an easy one, let's end everything and be born again right? not.

I can't understand people that kill themselves...there are many millions of lives lost of really precious people that didn't want to die, I lost my first two babies before they were born, one was dead inside the womb of my loved one when he was just 4 months of gestation, the other died after he was almost 11 months inside the belly of my girlfriend, he was born weak and there were nothing we could do, I didn't see him, I didn't get to hold him in my arms as a first time father, what was I was going to do with all the love forged during that time? the happiness, the dreams, the love that I was going to express to him... I cried them both with all the pain on my heart still asking what did I do to deserve such early deaths of my most loved ones? but I am alive, and no matter what conditions do I live or how many faliures in life I get, I will keep on living and loving the people that I know and the strangers that someday will be loved ones too.

I don't feel sorry, I feel dissapointed of her, not on what she did in life, but on doing what she thought it would be easier to do to end all her problems, for such a stupid reason, this people in japan is sick...Japan itself is sick...

But here we are, the alive ones... you don't know me but hear this thing...no matter how horrible or how many times had happened to you, you are alive for a reason and a purpose, you are not living for yourself, you are living for somebody else, just like somebody was/is living for you.

You disgust me and amuse me at the same time. You are exactly the type of person that if I ever met would mock mercilessly.

Quote:
"but no, there is the easy way that the sick and mighty japanese society has...suicide."

How high are you right now? You can't honestly believe that only people in japan commit suicide, can you?

....I'm honestly speechless at the amount of stupidity contained in this post that I really can't think of what else to say. And there's a serious problem if your girlfriend was pregnant for 11 months.

Leaving Well Enough Alone: Another thing I can't do.

Quote:
no matter how horrible or how many times had happened to you, you are alive for a reason and a purpose, you are not living for yourself, you are living for somebody else, just like somebody was/is living for you.

"Pssh, don't let your own suffering bother you, as long as someone is entertained by you everything's all right."

Quote:

...what? That's one of the most contradictive statements I've ever heard. "Don't kill yourself cause you're dying anyway."

This is just....Gah!
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:49 am Reply with quote
1-well, she was a month late and the doctor predicted a month early, so somehow I did a mistake over there.

2-Japan has one of the most high rates of suicide rates in japan and it's society influence.

3- yayyy good for you, the first hater in line!!! suicide is a selfish act, so if you think that I write nonsense in my post, I will cheer and applaud you if you leap from a building, go for it, after all, is what you want, right?
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:07 pm Reply with quote
DELETED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You're specifically targeting Japan as if it's the only place that has suicide, first of all. You can say you weren't, but the way you wrote it speaks differently. "Japan is sick" is a sick thing to say.

Is it not? a society that push you to please others regardless of your inner feelings, to pose an image of ultimate politeness, to be number one, to be the best in an overpopulated country when nobody will be? to take 20 minute power naps in a 14 hour day because "the company wants it" regardless of your family, Im just saying that this particular society has a tremendous influence on her suicide, and why japan alone, because (if you haven't notice) anime and manga is a japan worshipping world, when Japan can't do no wrong...

Quote:
Second of all, you have no idea what's going through the heads of these people.

You are right, I dont, and if I did, I still would'nt agree with it

Quote:
You merely act high and mighty, while apparently doing nothing to help. I mean, COME ON! You preach that human life is precious, but then say that you have no pity for those same lives? Try thinking outside the box.

Do I? so because I love life Im such a fool, Im sorry, I didn't know that it was so cool to be suicidal, I do not have pity of DEAD PEOPLE by suicide, they dont deserve my mourning, and how do you expect me to help somebody that can't even value their own life? is up to them to reach out the society to get the help they need, if you come to me and tell me "give me a reason to stay alive" I will pour millions of reasons but I will not stop you (because being born is not a choice but your death is) Suicide is a tremendous freedom for the person, but is a unending dirge to the family until the end of their own time, is a sad song that will not stop repeating.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3