• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Welcome to ANN 5.0

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Hahah.

This is absolutely garbage. The left third of my screen is blank and the right is also blank. How you all considered this to be good enough to go live with baffles me. Surely you must have received negative feedback from your beta testers? Garbage.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know how to get their skin back (previously before the change)?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, just found out that ANN changed their layout.
I've quickly adapted to the new features and structure of ANN 5.0, so I'm not really too surprised by the changes.
However, as mentioned by many others, the white background is a bit of a problem...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Progeusz wrote:
Haven't they ever heard about beta-testing? White spaces are atrocious.

Nine month beta test. Last 5 months were open to the public and tens of thousands of people used it. Guess you missed it...

Also, your complaint about what happens after you post? That behavior has been on the site for about 8 years now, it has nothing to do with ANN 5.0

Thanks for the feedback though.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
By the way, a lot of people have complaints about the side-bar. That's actually the next thing we're going to develop.

We'll be asking for feedback about the Side-bar in the near future.

-t

The site can't be designed separately for computer browsing and mobile browsing, right? I think the major problem is that both require different templates to reach their full potential. If there's any one critical word that a lot of people (respectful or not) seem to be repeating, it's "clutter." Touchpad tablets definitely need bigger buttons than point-and-click computers for the convenience of tablet users, but on a touch-and-click computer, the big images and side bar clutter the screen more than necessary--especially when they adapt to the size of the browser.

It might be necessary to not differentiate the two for convenience in design, but it's a negative by-product of the new age, in which accessibility to many niche, yet important features/designs is being sacrificed for focused convenience. They're both great for their usage, but it's as if time is pushing the design to change faster than anyone has time to really adapt older just-as-important features to.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

Unfortunately the old skins won't fit the new site perfectly.

We have however brought back the option for user-created skins, something we lost in 2006. Give it some time and there should be some skins that you really like (there will be more advertiser skins too).

-t
Progeusz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Just use Blue.
Only two aren't bugged (default and blue) but default is sure way to get eye problems because of all the white.

Tempest wrote:
Nine month beta test. Last 5 months were open to the public and tens of thousands of people used it. Guess you missed it...
Unfortunately. Says a lot about beta testers in that case because current problems are extremely easy to notice.

Tempest wrote:
Also, your complaint about what happens after you post? That behavior has been on the site for about 8 years now, it has nothing to do with ANN 5.0
Nope. Previously it actually redirected me to the thread after few seconds passed. Now I'm stuck at

Edit because of double post. While I'm at that I want to point at TWO problems but I guess they were present before the 5.0:
1) Why wasn't a system merging two posts when they're made by same person in short space of time implemented yet?
2) After deleting my own post it shows me a page with a link to deleted threads and nothing else. Obviously the link leads to nothing. Site should be redirecting me to the thread I removed the post from.

edit2: I have to commend you for reading the thread and replying to people. That's a proper attitude, one that should be expected from the staff. Thank you, I appreciate it.

Last edited by Progeusz on Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Ha, yeah, really don't understand the people who sound mad... This is not a plot to personally piss you off. If they weren't going to adapt it to feedback, they wouldn't be asking.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
My only issue is that all text is now grey instead of black. This is particularly problematic on the forums where it's grey text on a grey background.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
And on the topic of clutter, I finally figured out the layout option changes, but... one of the appealing parts of ANN before was that everything was listed nicely in a compact manner. I could scroll through a LOT of content because even though there was a lot of stuff, you still knew exactly where to look to get what you came here for because it was organized nicely. Now, not everything is obvious from the front screen and I have to click or scroll down quite a ways to find other stuff because everything is so big. This "clutter" issue is more of an issue here because we don't need giant buttons to tell us about news when using a computer because our computer browsers are big enough to fit a lot of info in a readable manner on the screen. Mobile phones definitely needed an upgrade to make readability easier, but no computer browser needs that big a space for one news article link. Especially when so many news articles come out in one day.
Lupica

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind it overall, it's nice and quick and being able to pick the headline view option resolves my initial problems, but please give the front page a more compact option too. Or make it more obvious how to, if there already is a way. I don't want to scroll down for ages before I can read the last few hours of news Sad

I cannot even see more than the first headline with my desktop resolution when I visit the site without scrolling down. It's a hassle.

If you can add a more compact view, it's fine.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
How do I make the active forum page full screen, or wider than a narrow alley without so much skin achers of land on the borders?

Account Settings -> Preferences -> Text Width 200 characters per line, or set a number that suits you best.
Ah! That's better. Cheers for that mate! Very Happy
Altorrin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Hm. I don't really like it... It looks like it's from 2003. Why is the homepage text so big? Why so much white? On the forums, so much space is wasted, too. And for such large fonts you're putting on display, why are they so plain? Compare the aesthetics of this site with those of pretty sites like Kotaku and Polygon. I know y'all must've put a lot of effort into it, but now it's harder to skim the headlines as fast as usual because they're just so big and everything's just very... plain looking.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote
The news links are too large. A larger font is fine and all, but you now burn an inch of space for what you used to show in a quarter of an inch. It was nicely compact, and easy to navigate and read. Now it is not. This is what I meant by 'background noise' - the sheer size of everything is distracting. You could also reduce the width of the sidebar by a third and it would be perfectly readable.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's going to happen eventually. I've had the chance to see the page some months back but I decided to wait until the final transitions then I'll adapt. I look forward to seeing how things will turn out. To here's to a new start.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 18