• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Log Horizon Creator Holds Q&A on 4Chan's /a/ Board

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jet_

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:08 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
I was planning on backing as well but the comments from the /a/ backers to the backers suggesting an English dub stretch goal rubbed me wrong.

Yeah, because all of those comments were from "the /a/ backers".
luffypirate85 wrote:
Didn't want to be associated with that incredibly rude crowd

Wow.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:05 am Reply with quote
It's a generalization but a safe one since they proclaimed to have funded it themselves (so the majority, and there were a TON of nasty ones some commentors may even have acknowledged themselves as being from /a/). I've read /a/ comments about English dubbing and they are indeed negative. I too buy imports (BDs. A whole bunch of them, un-subtitled too) but am all for dub in any language. Some fans out there have trouble reading, some have trouble with their vision. Like I say, go back and read the Time of EVE comments. Not a nasty one there towards an English dub. I.loved being part of that project and community effort. We all showed each other gratitude and welcomed any idea for the coordinators. The big difference between the LWA and EVE Kickstarter? /a/ presence. So yeah, I place the negativity and my non pledge on them.
jet_

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:26 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
The big difference between the LWA and EVE Kickstarter? /a/ presence. So yeah, I place the negativity and my non pledge on them.

So you decided to not back a project because of "/a/ presence"?
That's dumb.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:36 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Yup sure did. Didn't want to be associated with that incredibly rude crowd and yes I understand that all the pledges don't think in the same negative way. If possible, check the comments on the Time of EVE Kickstarter. Not one negative comment directed towards the idea of an English dub. Patrons that I am glad to contribute my share alongside with Smile

Do you not understand the difference between what the Time of Eve kickstarter was in comparison to the LWA kickstarter? Time of Eve was all about taking an already finished product and wrapping it up and all nice and pretty. The LWA kickstarter was about trying to actually fund the creation of the actual product. Surely you can tell what the people on the ToE kickstarter were 'nicer' about the perspective of an English dub? Particularly when (and this is important now) the first episode of LWA had already been licensed for an official English release by a new company that was not Trigger and was not going to include an English dub. It wasn't like the Time of Eve movie situation at all.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote
I know that but the difference in the type of project doesn't matter, the comments I saw at the moment I considered pledging cemented it. Even if there was no shot at it, there is no reason for a human to talk to another human in that manner. Online, in person, it completely deterred me. I'm trying to dig them up right now but they are buried somewhere in the 1400. If I can find the old ANN article I quoted some on there.

jet_ wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
The big difference between the LWA and EVE Kickstarter? /a/ presence. So yeah, I place the negativity and my non pledge on them.

So you decided to not back a project because of "/a/ presence"?
That's dumb.

No actually that isn't the reason why.

Last edited by luffypirate on Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:50 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
I know that but the difference in the type of project doesn't matter, the comments I saw at the moment I considered pledging cemented it. Even if there was no shot at it, there is no reason for a human to talk to another human in that manner. Online, in person, it completely deterred me. I'm trying to dig them up right now but they are buried somewhere in the 1400. If I can find the old ANN article I quoted some on there.

You don't get around on the internet much, do you?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote
Honestly, not really lol. Amazon, Facebook, and my 2000 posts within the last seven years on ANN. That is like a 300 post a year average. Jet_ has been a member for months and has that many posts. I have been that dick guy before. I've also been on the receiving end for an idea I've suggested. Maybe it just hit close to home. Just trying to lead more a positive life.

edit: I would also post on Anime on DVD before it died out. I still check the R2 BD/DVD section of the message board every month or so for solicitations.
Progeusz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
His three favourite Fall 2013 anime are Kyousougiga, Kill la Kill and also Non Non Biyori. That's some pretty perfect taste right there.
This. Easily my top3.

luffypirate85, you just don't get how /a/ works. Or internet in general. You shouldn't concern yourself too much with negative comments. If anything, you should be worried if they aren't there.

Last edited by Progeusz on Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
aereus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
So if someone voices their belief that spending a very large sum of money on a dub when only a part of funders would appreciate it, or if they voice an opinion you don't care for, means they're from /a/? Unfortunately Kickstarter doesn't support separate side goals that would allow for something like that.

And why would that make you not back it? How do comments on the internet have any bearing between you and your relationship with Trigger?

I'm also sure that there was a lot of overlap in funders for both EVE and LWA, myself included. And I'm sure a good chunk of them were from /a/ as well.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Progeusz wrote:

luffypirate85, you just don't get how /a/ works. Or internet in general. You shouldn't concern yourself too much with negative comments. If anything, you should be worried if they aren't there.

/a/ isn't difficult to figure out at all, even if the regulars who venture here from time to time like to make it seem like this clandestine secret club only they know about and the culture there is impossible to decipher unless you submerge yourself in it.
kotelocl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
/a/ isn't difficult to figure out at all, even if the regulars who venture here from time to time like to make it seem like this clandestine secret club only they know about and the culture there is impossible to decipher unless you submerge yourself in it.

Generalizations are never good, bro. You'll find idiots in every place.

Like the anonymous imageboard 4chan is, one just have to avoid the obvious trolls. Other than that, /a/ is a good place to discuss anime. And the other boards like /g/, /o/ and /vp/ are really good.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote
kotelocl wrote:

Generalizations are never good, bro. You'll find idiots in every place.

Like the anonymous imageboard 4chan is, one just have to avoid the obvious trolls. Other than that, /a/ is a good place to discuss anime. And the other boards like /g/, /o/ and /vp/ are really good.

You appear to be responding to something I didn't say or even infer.
hellsingfan01

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
i really do hope we get a second season of log horizon it's a really great show
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Zac, the first rule about /a/ Club is... you do not talk about /a/ Club.

hellsingfan01 wrote:
i really do hope we get a second season of log horizon it's a really great show

I think the chances for it are pretty high, as long as there's enough source material to do it. It seems to be getting a pretty good reception and it appeals to a reasonably wide demographic. I think it's doing pretty much what NHK hoped it would do, so I don't see why they wouldn't.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:58 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Most of the negativity I've heard towards Crunchyroll are from those pretentious twits you see frequenting MAL.

And that would be the site that still lists and allows you to vote on fansub groups. Talk about irony.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4