• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Case Closed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
This was a fun show, but I got tired of it hitting the same notes and never moving forward with the overarching plot. I probably would have loved this as a kid as mysteries was one of my favorite genres (Encyclopedia Brown was always the first book I looked for new volumes of when I went to the book store), but now I'd like to have some movement in the story. Also, nearly every case being a murder got tiresome. It's nice to read that there was some character development though over the course of the series. I've seen most of what was dubbed and didn't appreciate the glacial pace the character development was moving at. I'd still recommend it to mystery lovers though, just didn't scratch my itch.

partysmores wrote:
All this talk of the grade schoolers loving Case Closed, and yet no explanation from Viz as to why they slapped it with an Older Teen rating.

Probably all the murders? The US and Japan don't exactly have same standards on content.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Surprised you don't make mention of the "20 years later and he's still the same age" mental wrap-around.

Of course the only answer to that is that you just have to get over it. Nobody ages, neither does Batman, you just have to live with it.

Of course, going through the whole series can be an interesting experience. At the beginning it's a little strange to have a cellphone, now Smartphones become plot points to solve the mysteries.

"Hey Conan, remember the Valentine's Day case?"
"Which one? The one where *Serena* makes the chocolates that finally win her the boyfriend? or the one where she wants to make a cake for her boyfriend... or one of the other ones?"
"What do you mean which one? We've only know each other for a year."
"Seems longer"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I really want to get into this series. Too bad I have zero time to get involved with something of this caliber. One day...
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
rpgamer79 wrote:
Quote:
By the way, in case you're wondering about the Americanization of the manga, that was actually a request from- believe it or not- Gosho Aoyama himself. Apparently, he thought that Americans would relate more to the cast if they had English-language names. If only Aoyama-sensei knew...

This is my first time to hear that; Could you please share the source for this information if it is possible?

Seconded. I was wondering about this too.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was TMS that mandated the changes for the English dub of the anime version and then the manga author just kind of went along with it for the manga version. Didn't Funimation bring the anime over here before Viz brought the manga?

It was really irritating when the English dub of the anime tried to make Osaka into CANADA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

It was really irritating when the English dub of the anime tried to make Osaka into CANADA.

Harley Hartwell (AKA Heiji Hattori): "Hey, Kudo - welcome to Calgary, Alberta!"

Me: Wait, what? .... that's not what Calgary looks like o.O

I think that scene may have sold the entire dub to me - it was stupid, but now it's such a fond memory Smile
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching the anime on Adult Swim when they briefly played it back in 2004 (good Lord, was that really almost a decade ago now? Shocked ) and I was disappointed that they never played the whole thing
rpgamer79

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
I remembered when Conan was released in 2004, Funimation claimed that they changed the setup in order to make the anime more appealing to the American audience, however, I do not recall they mentioned that it was requested by Aoyama-sensei himself. As per the manga, since the publication started after the anime, VIZ decided to follow the same footsteps with the Manga; so it can be matched with the Anime releases (Did not make any sense to me at that time).

Anyhow, generally, I know that Manga and Anime industry people do not like editing stuff (Perfect examples is Miyzak-kantoku). So I doubt that there was a request from Aoyama-sensei himself regarding that. What might support this is his answer to his interview in 2010 (see below)

"Q: Could we ask for a final comment from you to manga readers all over the world?
A: Conan is full to the brim with tricks and ciphers only Japanese can understand and, even so, many foreign readers keep faithful to his stories. I’m very grateful for that and I hope they continue to do so. Thank you very much, really."

Source: http://mastersofmanga.com/2010/07/interviewaoyama/

I would really love to see any source would support the information about the Americanizing request (Maybe he did but forgot about it), but if I could not find any I will try to fetch the truth in my own way.

Last edited by rpgamer79 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
I have all the volumes out in Enlgish so far, but need to catch up on reading it
Nuuzen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:10 am Reply with quote
Ah, Case Closed. The anime was one of my favorite shows on Adult Swim. I really should get around to starting the manga and finishing the Funi dub.
partysmores

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
partysmores wrote:
All this talk of the grade schoolers loving Case Closed, and yet no explanation from Viz as to why they slapped it with an Older Teen rating.

Probably all the murders? The US and Japan don't exactly have same standards on content.

Hellsing and Ace Attorney have murders and they're just plain Teen.

Oh well. Manga I guess. If I really need to slip it to a young kid I'll put an All Ages sticker on the back.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:24 am Reply with quote
I'll say it once: I'm a huge fan of Detective Conan.

I recall someone here telling me the Americanizing was some "genius" in Japan's idea, thinking turning the names and locations into western world ones would appeal to us more. If that's true, boy do I ever want to clock that guy on the head for making such a pompous presumption. Thank goodness we're still getting the manga here, shame about the anime though. I did enjoy the dub.

On an extra note, I've caught up with all the movies. I think I'll stick with the manga though since the anime is over 700 episodes now and I don't even remember how far back I last left it (it was during the dub's days on TV).
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
Nice review, but perhaps I would also like to recommend this manga series of the detective genre to readers who prefer longer, whodunnit-style cases similar to those of Agatha Christie: Kindaichi Case Files. I actually started reading both series, but in the end I found myself more attached to this series. Because each of Kindaichi's case is longer (usually 3-4 people are murdered in 1 case), there are more tricks/puzzles involved and it is more challenging to the readers (that's the point of detective stories, right?). Furthermore, I find the murderer's intentions usually more emotional in Kindaichi as compared to Case Closed, and that is why I prefer it more.

Of course, Kindaichi itself is not without flaws. It lacks an overarching plot like Case Closed, so each case can be read independently. Which sometimes leads to the characters in the manga lacking proper development. Although some can argue that this is also a good thing, in which one can just pick up any book in the series and the story will not be affected. [/b]
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
^^^
Well, if there's one big fault of the Conan cases it's that the motives for them are often pretty bad and very repetitive. If it's an old business man who died... 9/10 times he drove someone's parents to their deaths (due to fatal Japanese shame), about the same odds that an assistant killed his master for stealing his work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
MasterGhost wrote:
Nice review, but perhaps I would also like to recommend this manga series of the detective genre to readers who prefer longer, whodunnit-style cases similar to those of Agatha Christie: Kindaichi Case Files. I actually started reading both series, but in the end I found myself more attached to this series. Because each of Kindaichi's case is longer (usually 3-4 people are murdered in 1 case), there are more tricks/puzzles involved and it is more challenging to the readers (that's the point of detective stories, right?). Furthermore, I find the murderer's intentions usually more emotional in Kindaichi as compared to Case Closed, and that is why I prefer it more.

Of course, Kindaichi itself is not without flaws. It lacks an overarching plot like Case Closed, so each case can be read independently. Which sometimes leads to the characters in the manga lacking proper development. Although some can argue that this is also a good thing, in which one can just pick up any book in the series and the story will not be affected. [/b]

It's really too bad that Kindaichi Case Files has been pretty much ignored over here - after I started watching Case Closed, I noticed that series, but was surprised to see no one had the anime, and I don't think anyone was or is still releasing the series the series in English anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3