• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blade & Soul (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

I thought the people at the beginning of the episode in the flashback looked a little like the villains, and could explain why the one guy does not speak. But it looks like they are spoiler[doing a number on Jin, totally removing all her good.]

At least someone finally spoiler[realised that revenge was totally pointless, she felt hollow seeing] what Alka had been pushed to. Alka finally having enoughspoiler[ gave up her blades and tried to turn herself in, only for her to be ignored from being unarmed and then weapons came back], like they are still the only thing she can rely on.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
wow, I'm pretty sure GONZO ran out of money with this episode, QUALITY all over the place. worse than the off model designs in that one ep of Psycho-Pass
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:23 am Reply with quote
ep.12

spoiler[
varrel arrive want arka give karen, hazuki, & roana trying defend arka not even bullet can stop varrel cause her body spit them out.

during before that give varrel was on verge back to self before going all no emotion til ran said you're just a puppet so give was going finish varrel til big guy help varrel to hold ran to get varrel to slay her & fall down to a cliff bottom.

forward now give varrel got 3 more to kill til arka wake-up to battle varrel to one vs one fight even ask why kill arka's master give varrel said it destiny yet got arka on rope til arka's blood meet butterfly cue blue aura mode got varrel in shock.

which arka got full mode yet in last second spare varrel cause reason there both the same yet tell varrel live your own life so all done everyone take their leave.

oh wait ran survive her cliff fall yet telling "higher rank" there so need a new "doll" so all that everything back to normal.

karen got her taven, village girl get flower, little girl lost her brother get flower, roana & crew seeing flower on grave, hazuki still bounty hunting, & arka give coin to beaten merchant with smile to live.

(yea still 1ep left to go).]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quote
Still one eppie to go put even if that one totally craps the bed, I'm going to rate this show Very Good. I think the show has done some interesting things and certainly it vastly outstripped my initial expectations based on the character designs.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 12.

I don't ever think we have seen Alka talk so much. Not one but two full sentences!

All in all probably a pretty good, if predictable, wrap for the story such as it is. The gang leader and the bounty hunter I can understand, but how does a hooker spoiler[armed with just a fan hold of Jin Varrel with full] impurity powers?

According to the preview there's a 13th episode. Maybe we will get some fan service like the first episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Well it looks like they saved some of the animation for this episode. Turns out spoiler[Jin was just like Alka, a puppet with no will that others used for killing]. And the message at the end was that now that spoiler[they had will and emotion, and feel that maybe they do deserve death, that is not true as life is actually more precious]. I think the very end of seeing spoiler[Alka smile] meant quite a bit, and even the corny line felt meaningful. I could not help but think of maybe Alka spoiler[being crushed that everyone left before she came back.]

My guess of next episode, it will probably be a fanservice episode, which I guess is not terrible, I did expect this to be a fanservice show from the beginning, and it ended up being actually mature. Cool moves with killing is really fun to watch, but the show has instead gone the route of showing how terrible killing is. Exception given the ridiculous bikini one character sports.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
This really seemed like it was supposed to be the final episode. I'm doubting that the next episode will be continuing with the overarching story but whatevs. The fight was cool but I don't like how AIka was suddenly able to fight for no real reason. Everyone was already in danger when they were fighting while she was shaking in fear but all of sudden she snaps out of it and says "I'll protect you."? Happens merely for dramatic effect if ya ask me.

The story has been building up her development from mindless fighter to human but I feel no satisfaction from this outcome. I'm supposed to feel for her and understand her but even now I still haven't been given a reason to care about her when the only lines she says are generic shounen dialogue. Really if AIka had some inner monologues or SOMETHING other than her stating the obvious I would have probably liked her character much more. Getting to know what the character truly thinks is one of the best ways to let a viewer connect with them better.
casualfan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
The "final" episode really redeems the show for me. I like that it's a happy ending and none of the core characters died at the end. A nice payoff considering all the tragedies from previous episodes. The fighting is nicely animated too at least compared to the quality nosedive in animation from previous episodes. The last episode will probably be fanservice or Jin Varrel-focused. Hopefully it's not some kind of recap.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13: remarkably useless.

At least someone was bright enough to realize that Alka's (lack of) personality wasn't the anime's strong suit, but what made out of it was not worth watching. No fight scenes worth watching. No fan service worth watching: the girls go to an onsen and never show it. No characters worth watching.

Memo to self: never take a job as Karen's lackey.

Well it's over. I'm sure we will all put the free time to some good use. Right?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Episode 13 was sort of what I was expecting the series to be, based on the character designs. In any case, I enjoyed it the light-hearted feel to it.

Pretty sure I'll be buying this at some point.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote
ep.13

spoiler[hazuki win drinking challenge got a map for treasure to find also roana got treasure map tooo yet even karen got same map go swim to area yet left her men to the fishes.

karen & little girl (who brother got killed) arrive in island meet fish people who see karen as a goddess while roana with 2 members fat & skinny took underground route to meet cat people.

yet cat people were plan to eat roana til seeing her "treasure" get goddess treatment while karen got giant live fish so slice it half yet hazuki was inside the giant fish due got swallow whole by giant fish yet like hannibal chau still alive & where is the treasure?!

then little girl find out maps were made by fish people to get females for wives yet treasure it's real give hot spring area then all 3 go wanting treasure til spring glows.

which spring water glows have hazuki having money wanting, karen going i don't want be broke & poor girl, & roana had scared of fish due to her child years did not eat her fish & dump it.

yet arka out of nowhere appear wake-up chop all 3 of them due to spring water was mix blue flowers' effects yet arka's reason for it the same map as well.

& 8 days later give still in the island yet time to relax on it. ]

overall watching bit decent sorts of hmm.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (final)

The episode pretty much had what I expected after last week's closure, just something silly and to look at to finish the series off. We get a little bit spoiled by other shows (Dragonar) so even the level of fanservice here was not something strong in comparison, but I still appreciated it. spoiler[Alka blushing], that is fanservice. I rather enjoyed the spoiler[pervy Ewok] routine and the spoiler[translation] of the fight.

As I have mentioned before, this series has surprised me at mostly be mature despite its designs, and not mature in the showing nudity but mature in the lack of that stuff. Instead of being about a badass ninja that kills people and is sexy, we had a killing machine start to learn what it is to be human and feel the weight of killing and the lives she has taken. The episode where Alka was pushed to the very edge with that couple was in my opinion amazing.

Overall I rate it Good, there was quite a bit of depth in this series, although it did feel there were some presentation issues: Some characters felt too silly, understanding Alka was not always properly conveyed to the audience that can give some people problems, and there are some things that would bore audience that don't have the patience. I personally found it an enjoyable story that did not try to use action as a crutch and did something that I was not expecting. It was a good watch, it could be surprisingly harsh, catchy songs too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9