• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Terminal Dogma: Essays on Neon Genesis Evangelion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Replace Eva with Akira, and I'd agree. :roll:

And Akira is Godardian how exactly?

Anyway, judging from the press relaese it looks like they are looking to focus on Eva's influential position in Anime history at least as much as on interpreting and/analyzing the show's content. Good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Aaron:
Quote:
And Akira is Godardian how exactly?

It's existential, and it doesn't have one sole driving theme behind it, but numerous themes interwoven into the narrative. It also has no clear ending, only a resolution.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

It's existential, and it doesn't have one sole driving theme behind it, but numerous themes interwoven into the narrative. It also has no clear ending, only a resolution.

No sale. "Existential," "multi-themed" and "ambiguous endings" are not distinctively Godardian elements. Playing with formalist cinematic devices, violating conventional Cinematic narrative norms, and making non-narrative cinematic "essays" are Godardian, and Eva popularized all of them in anime.

Edited for spelling booboos.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Playing with formalist cinematic devices,

Giving cinematic devices a religious context isn't really "playing" with them. By that logic, you could call the first Mission Impossible Godardian.

Quote:
violating conventional Cinematic narrative norms,

How so? By having reluctant heroes and/or anti-heroes? That's existed long before Godard.

Quote:
and making non-narrative cinematic "essays" are Godardian,

Except they aren't really essays as much as unfulfilled proposals.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote
If anyone wants to think Gatsu's post makes sense, go for it. I feel like I'm arguing with someone who asserts that chicken is a plant because it's yellow. I think I'll let it ride.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Aaron:
Quote:
I feel like I'm arguing with someone who asserts that chicken is a plant because it's yellow.

I thought chicken's supposed to be brown. (Or white if it's still alive...)
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Plus the fact that recent studies buried by the FDA for years indicating that the drug makes the patient suicidal makes you wonder if the doctors who prescribed it weren't in on it. After all, if people start feeling better too soon, then there's less money to be made.

Hm, suck your blood dry, keep you coming back for more, and have you ignore what's really important? That seems to be a common theme in the United States today.

Nerv1 wrote:
Wait, so then Brian Ruh wants to create a book questioning the mysteries of Evangelion but wants it from our point of view also?

Pretty much.

Iritscen wrote:
I wouldn't say they "suck it up" -- it's just that Asian countries and many others use more "natural" therapies than drugs.

Which I believe I was referring to, I think.

Quote:
What did he say about Eva exactly?

A kid in the movie was asking to buy an model of one of the EVAs, if I recall correctly.

Quote:
I suppose it depends how you define "deep", really. I didn't mean "meditate on it for years to find the ultimate truth" deep, I meant "not just meaningless terms being thrown around" deep Smile I was responding to what some people allege, that the show is just pretending to be deep by throwing around $20 words. I'm sure to someone who has studied psychology it's pretty straight-forward.

Ah, I get what you're saying now.

Quote:
Maybe this is just one of those things where the work means more to a viewer than the creator of that work, but episodes 25 and 26 were truly meaningful to me on a personal level and very rewarding and positive. The movie, by comparison, was nihilistic and dreary and disturbing. It may have had a serious budget, but the story had absolutely nothing on the TV series.

Huh? In terms of storytelling and its execution The End of Evangelion was FAR better than the majority of the material in the television series itself. The only thing we didn't have was the atmosphere presented by the staff's inability to put out a satisfactory product (which has been said by at least one of the members), which hardly pushes away what would've been.

Quote:
I don't think the monetary limitations seriously hindered Anno's ability to tell the story in those two episodes that he wanted to tell.

Uh, well, as far as being character studies, the last two episodes did that well enough, but the fact that the plot was screwed over and we weren't given any reason at all to believe spoiler[that Shinji was going to have a better life other than a cheesy round of "Congratulations!" from the other characters] leaves much to be desired.

Quote:
Nobuhiro Watsuki said it best, by the way; he had just seen "End of Eva" and disliked it; he said that the person who told the story clearly didn't care about the characters. I never felt that way in watching the TV series, but it almost perfectly sums up my problem with the movie.

The same Watsuki who couldn't spoiler[kill off Kaoru because he knew that too many readers would object to it despite it being more fitting to the theme of Rurouni Kenshin, and not only creating a bit more of a mess with the final arc?] I can't understand why spoiler[killing off your characters means that you don't care about them. Similar to why a lot of people don't like another anime I mentioned earlier, Texhnolyze, I don't get why so many can't stand to see fatalism represented in fiction. Anno clearly gave a damn about the characters and wanted us to know that there is still hope for them considering that he gave us Rei, Kaworu, and Yui's parting words of reassurance to Shinji along with Asuka actually giving him a compassionate act when he returned and continued what he started in Instrumentality. There was some optimism there, but people don't notice it just because of not fully understanding the narrative itself.]

I find it silly for people to brush off and saying that it's BS whenever spoiler[massive deaths and fatalism are done in their favorite anime/manga.] That's one of the reasons why I admire Kubrick because he gave the audience the story in his movies, and if you didn't like, tough.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:53 am Reply with quote
Well, I guess it comes down to what kind of stories we prefer to view/read/etc. I understand why some directors tell stories fatalistically, but I don't have to like it. I try to only watch things that are generally positive in tone, like Kenshin, because I try to foster a positive attitude in myself.

Speaking of RuroKen, do you know for a fact that Watsuki spoiler[didn't want to kill Kaoru only because of the outcry from the audience, or might there have been an attachment to her on his part]? After all, a story is whatever the storyteller wants it to be. Often the death of a character is purely at the behest of the storyteller, in other words, the story doesn't logically lead to it, it just leads to a dangerous situation wherein the character's fate could go either way. It's a 50/50 sort of situation that ultimately relies on the storyteller to make the call on whether they die. We're not talking about a situation where Rambo can survive being shot at by 50 guys with machine guns while he guns them all down in turn. That's clearly just the storyteller making his character unkillable.

But, in a situation where things can go either way, where the storyteller can safely make a call either way without making the outcome feel unrealistic, I'd just as soon see the character live, thank you very much.

That being said, spoiler[it's true that Kaoru not getting killed by Enishi was something of a miracle, and finding out that he can't kill her because he has a thing about Tomoe getting killed at that age does feel a little contrived]. So I'm not defending that entirely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4