• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: AKB48 Producer Looks to Expand Idol Franchise to Hokkaido

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerroth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I would have thought there was already something distinct about Hokkaido that helped distinguish it from other parts of Japan.

(But then, it seems like an uphill challenge to raise broader awareness of the Ainu in Hokkaido itself, let alone across the rest of the country. Although there are Ainu communities in places like Tokyo, which ironically risk being at odds with the Hokkaido Ainu Association over which of these communities may, or may not, be involved in ongoing discussions with the Japanese government.)
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Are there any plans for J-idols to expand globally outside of Asia??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Nope, and it's a shame, they need to expand into Europe and the US and not Hokkaido where tensions may arise.
Osaka2002

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
and not Hokkaido where tensions may arise.

Explain?
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Osaka2002 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

Explain?

Do you know about the ethnic tension between the Ainu??

@Hoppy800: Yeah it does look like Japan has no intention of making J-pop going global outside of Asia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuxing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Nope, and it's a shame, they need to expand into Europe and the US and not Hokkaido where tensions may arise.

No, they really shouldn't. The western world does not have the necessary idol-craze to make this a financially sound plan.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Yuxing wrote:

No, they really shouldn't. The western world does not have the necessary idol-craze to make this a financially sound plan.

Well it already worked for K-pop, so why not have J-pop go global, beside Japan's music sale has already been declining for the last few years, just got this report from Billboard few months ago.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Well it already worked for K-pop, so why not have J-pop go global, beside Japan's music sale has already been declining for the last few years, just got this report from Billboard few months ago.

The problem with the Idol scene in regards to AKB48 and Morning Musume is the intentional disposability built into the acts, the girls work for a relatively brief period so when it comes to international appeal a "late international find" will become impossible as the performers will have potentially long retired from the song and dance routine.

Jpop Idols are an image, the parallel would of course be the Moe girl churned out to bait the Otaku crowd into snatching up late night slots.

While other Japanese Musical acts certainly are as viable internationally as any other music group, so long as Jpop industry treats the young girls as "briefly blooming flowers to be plucked" the chances for an international act for the girls after they come to age as women is significantly unlikely.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

The problem with the Idol scene in regards to AKB48 and Morning Musume is the intentional disposability built into the acts, the girls work for a relatively brief period so when it comes to international appeal a "late international find" will become impossible as the performers will have potentially long retired from the song and dance routine.

Jpop Idols are an image, the parallel would of course be the Moe girl churned out to bait the Otaku crowd into snatching up late night slots.

While other Japanese Musical acts certainly are as viable internationally as any other music group, so long as Jpop industry treats the young girls as "briefly blooming flowers to be plucked" the chances for an international act for the girls after they come to age as women is significantly unlikely.

Check your PM, I don't want to go off topic. The last time I bring up something like this, the moderators keep complaining it to me about it. Again, I won't put my reply to your post here, check your PM.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:06 am Reply with quote
I’m seriously going to translate this thread into Japanese and send it to all my Japanese friends that I went to school with in Sapporo because it’s hilarious. Come on, guys. Seriously? Do you really think tensions would rise between the Ainu and the Japanese if an AKB sister group was introduced in Hokkaido?

I appreciate that people are trying to approach Japanese culture from an analytical perspective, but at the same time, please have a little more background knowledge about a topic before you start making statements about it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:29 am Reply with quote
Maybe just another excuse for AKB managers to shag young girls of another place. Laughing
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Osaka2002 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

Explain?

Do you know about the ethnic tension between the Ainu??

After finding that out, I realized how screwed up that country was to start with. We've already learned that lesson already in North America (or are continuing to).

Quote:
@Hoppy800: Yeah it does look like Japan has no intention of making J-pop going global outside of Asia.

Don't really need it around here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1