• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Delays Ben-to Dub Release Until Further Notice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
TheSeventhSense wrote:

I was actually asking to see if anybody had a comparison of the TV and home video version. Is it just there are some animation errors in the TV version or was something censored in the TV version that would've been in the home video version?

I posted a link to a comparison video I found on Niconico here, though it only goes as far as the fourth episode. Before that episode, there's only some animation fixes, mostly pretty minor. There's some steam and/or suds censoring Ume's butt in the bathtub scene in episode 4. There's also a scene I noticed on my own in episode 7 post-credits with some thick stream in the onsen (checking on it, it's definitely different in the BD version).
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
How about they get their act together and make sure the product is good to go before the put out a release date instead of the usual oh we are sorry stay tuned and not get any response.

Seems like now a days you keep hearing about more and more screw ups in the industry and wonder who is doing what, who the hell is in charge over seeing everyone, and how does this stuff keep happening?

As I said, I blame the Japanese side for causing this. This is why I'm a big critic of how Japanese companies operate, they don't play it fair for international fans outside of Japan and Asia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
How about they get their act together and make sure the product is good to go before the put out a release date

Because the retailers and distributors need to be told about the product four to six months in advance so that they can work out their exact plans: how many to order, how to market it [how to present it, what audience to push it to, how much of a push to give it.]. And they need to know when it would be available, too, because timings matter [seasonal variation, also immediate competition].

So the licensor could make the disks, tell people they're available, and then have the disks sit in the warehouse for three months at best until the orders come back... but this is expensive, warehouses aren't free and neither is capital [the money spent on pressing the disks is spent, but it's not coming back until the disks get sold].

And in any case, the licencor doesn't know how many disks people want to buy until the orders come back. So the disks have to be advertised before they're physically made.

All pretty straightforward: things happen for reasons, and the normal reason things don't happen the way you expect/want is because there are problems you don't know about.
ArmyofDarkness

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
As long as it doesn't eternally fade into the shadows and they are able to release it, I'll be happy. I've been waiting 3 years for Ben-to to be released here, a few more months is nothing. I really wouldn't have minded getting the TV rips though. the fact that the BD's show Brunette's face is a sin. The home release should be better, not worse...
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I heard a similar thing happened with the Evangelion 3.33 release. And while that may just be a rumor, I have heard from people who have actually seen it that the mastering did seem a bit off. You'd think they'd be a bit more prepared with a big release like that. I've been waiting for what, like 5 months now for that to come out? Well, accidents happen I guess, I just really want to watch the damn thing already.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
TL;DR of parts of this thread:

FUNimation releases a sub-par product, has to recall/replace it - cue complaining

FUNimation delays a product for presumably sub-par quality reasons - cue complaining

They can't win, apparently.
But in this case, a lot of the anger isn't with Funi for delaying the release, it's with the Japanese companies for potentially sabotaging the release.

Dfens wrote:
Only real differences with the uncensored version of Ben-to vs the TV broadcast is their is tons of full on panty shots and that one fighting girl who's face was always covered by some sort of shot/angle we get to see what she looks like.
Oh yeah, just minor differences that nobody's ever going to notice. I hope the licensors and licensees are ready to see the overseas releases competing with rips of the Japanese Blu-Rays with the English dub added on in cases where the NA release is DVD-only or uses the broadcast version.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I'd actually prefer the TV edit, since showing Brunette's face completely ruins the joke and also her character in the process.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
TheSeventhSense wrote:

I was actually asking to see if anybody had a comparison of the TV and home video version. Is it just there are some animation errors in the TV version or was something censored in the TV version that would've been in the home video version?

I posted a link to a comparison video I found on Niconico here, though it only goes as far as the fourth episode. Before that episode, there's only some animation fixes, mostly pretty minor. There's some steam and/or suds censoring Ume's butt in the bathtub scene in episode 4. There's also a scene I noticed on my own in episode 7 post-credits with some thick stream in the onsen (checking on it, it's definitely different in the BD version).

This site also has samples of differences for each volume (mouse-over the pics)
http://www.kira-reviews.com/blog/archives/category/ben-to
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
Well folks, Answerman has managed to answer that question over this (Thanks Configspace for asking the question), and I'll quote this:

Answerman wrote:
As for why they keep getting the wrong master tapes? Sometimes it's malice -- the Japanese publishers are always reluctant to let the overseas release of an anime be as good as the far more expensive Japanese versions. Sometimes it's ignorance -- sometimes the animation is revised and delivered straight to the Japanese home video publisher without the international sales office even knowing about it. The practice of revised animation makes everything much more confusing on the home video end, and far too often, the people involved in international release have no idea when it happens. This is one area where fans can definitely help, but the sooner they do it, the better.

Yep, so that confirmed my suspicion, the Japanese licensors are responsible for these mishaps. That include Funimation's delaying of Ben-to dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'd actually prefer the TV edit, since showing Brunette's face completely ruins the joke and also her character in the process.
I agree. The other tweaks are all minor and not worth getting worked up about(though I prefer the original in many of them), but that's just inexcusable. I won't touch Funi's release unless and until it's firmly established that's left out.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
so I guess skipping ahead, or closing your eyes and pretending it doesn't happen isn't an option?
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
No.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Blame it on Japanese licensors, this is why I'm skeptic of the "reverse importation" crap.

Except I know of one actual case where it was proven to happen, and that was for a UK DVD boxed set. Now that the US and are in the same BD region there aren't even any PAL hurdles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Blame it on Japanese licensors, this is why I'm skeptic of the "reverse importation" crap.

Except I know of one actual case where it was proven to happen, and that was for a UK DVD boxed set. Now that the US and are in the same BD region there aren't even any PAL hurdles.

I can understand. But here's the real problem that makes me skeptic of "reverse importing hurt the market", where's the statistics, charts, tables, financial analysis, or real evidences backing these up?? Everywhere I looked around the internet to find any evidence of reverse importing, I can't find any single chart or graph from Japan proving this. In other word, I need to see chart or graph to see if reverse importing is real or not.

If reverse importing hurting the market is real, then why won't Japanese companies release any statistics, charts, graph, etc... so international anime fan will believe it?? As I said, I'm a big skeptic of this.

I'm sorry I have to say this, I have a hard time believing the reverse import hurting Japan's market. Show me a statistic, charts, graph, or any real research (that isn't falsified or made up) then I'll believe it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Why would they release business sensitive information just to please you?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4