• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Introduces Luna in Latest Sailor Moon English Dub Clip

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Nice, longer-form clip, though Luna sounds a lot more different than what I was expecting. It was a tad deeper and the tone didn't really match her expressions, but hey, it's the first episode and first couple of lines of many, many more. Two clips so far, and Sheh is sounding pretty nice as Usagi. That should be promising as the episode count gets deeper. That's when dubs--even ones with shaky starts (like Code Geass/R2, for example)--can really shine…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Not even a Sailor Moon fan, but the difference in dub quality is huge when compared to the first dub. Unless you're a nostalgic twat, the new version is insanely better the same way Macross's redub was.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Ugh! They've completely ruined the entire franchise FOREVER!@!!1
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I will miss Luna's British Nanny voice (the only thing about the DiC dub I'm attached to) but this isn't a bad voice for her at all. She still sounds like a mentor, and her voice carries a nice balance of authority and cuteness. They gave her a good "time to dump tons of exposition" voice, which is good since that's Luna's major function.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I just hear Rukia and Orihime only it feels like they aren't trying.
traveling

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the original Luna's voice is burned into my mind thar it was an adjustment to hear the new one. It's still good, but if I buy this I think I'll watch the sub first because I never got to hear it.
Danette-Anime-Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow it's gonna get some taking used too hearing Luna without the British accent. More than anything though I loved hearing "Usagi" over "Serena" and and the full "Moon Prism Power Make-up" phrase.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
If Nostalgia is enough to complain about something, good thing the 4Kids dub of "One Piece" didn't air during your childhood.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Ohh, Mr. Firefly!...No more Margaret Dumont voice! Wink

Still, it's a little too plain: Even though she's a young character, JP Luna is supposed to have a bit of a cute cat-like clip, and still be a frustrated long-suffering nag about getting Usagi to do her job.
Like the female equivalent of Phil Hartman's Jiji from Disney's Kiki dub.
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Hahahaha.... lol... this scene... all I can see is Rukia lecturing Orihime.... xD... it's so hard to not hear luna as well, the luna we know lmao...
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Good thing I only watched a few episodes of the original, butchered dub version.

...yeah, good for you, I guess.

Annyywaaay

Unfortunately, all I can think of is Rukia in cat form. I sad.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I fully admit to watching only a handfull of Sailor Moon eps in any shape or form, but I never understood what people had against Luna's old dub voice. It seemed to suit her even if it was different from the Japanese voice.

The dub is shaping up though, Stephanie Sheh sounded really great here, I think she'll be a great Usagi. Michelle Ruff is pretty solid as usual too.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
It's a fine voice, but like others, the old British Luna is WAAAAY entrenched in my mind. But, BOY, did that voice sound bizarre coming out of movie!Luna. o_O So, this sounds more fitting, it'll just take some readjusting to get used to it. I guess it's also a good thing I don't watch Bleach on a regular basis; didn't even recognize Orihime, and the most I know Luna from is Dojima in Witch Hunter Robin.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Coming from someone that hasn't watched much Sailor Moon let alone the old dub, viz's sounds very good so far. Just on performances. It sounds pretty natural. Sheh and Ruff have of course played characters very similar before.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Liked what I heard, but still going to have to get used to it. I know Luna is suppose to be young, but the old dub with the accent and older sounding voice made her more unique to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4