• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Le Fruit de la Grisaia (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

Good news is that there will be another season. I personally find this good as really this is a totally different anime based on a VN with harem aspect, it is dark in ways that makes the likes of Little Busters look family friendly. In this episode we had aspoiler[ bereaved father holding the gang hostage thinking Amane took part in the death of his daughter].

I think this season became a bit heavy with parts of stories connected to the girls so I kind of hope another season will go back a bit to what would be crazy interactions and about him particularly. The preview sounded like they will bespoiler[ looking into Yuuji, and his sister may make an appearance], so without looking into the source I feel a bit confident.

My thought on the series, it has potential had potential that would hopefully be fully realised in another season, which sounds horrible. I don't think the series really had much threat that one of the girls would die, but there was still a heap of actually pretty good suspense and kind of terror in scenes. Michiru's spoiler[problem with death], The standoff of Yumiko spoiler[that spent way too long confirming the outcome], the fear that Sachi's spoiler[bombs could kill everyone], spoiler[evil with a nice face with] Makina's spoiler[mother], and the decline in Amane's spoiler[group not being saved]. I will rate this as Good, it was worth watching and a great break in what was starting to feel a bit dragged in the genre, without making someone go yandre.

Special note for shark pouch scene. Michiru was my favourite character. And lots of pantie shots. ..... Also a lot of people wetting themselves, whether it was effective as a backdrop to the drama or over the top is up for debate.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Since the romance situation is still up in the air, I suppose it's anyone's game now. I'm still placing my money on Yumiko because she's still the most prominently featured. Narratively she makes the most sense and I do have enough faith in this show that it won't do some sort of asspull.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
One minor nit pick about the shot.
Given the apparent bullet caliber and that you see the bullet hit the wall....
spoiler[As one who has shot many deer, there would have been a LOT of blood hit the wall as well after blowing through the shoulder. Even considering a full metal jacket (non expanding bullet).
High powered rifles are made to kill things quickly. A target would not be initially unaware something really bad had just happened to them.]

Still, not terrible advertisement for the VN's.. I am tempted.
meanderingNekomata

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:16 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Finally caught up and finished Makina and Amane's arc. Had some fun for most of Makina's arc but then the whole family situation drama felt weirdly resolved mainly because spoiler[killing Makina's mother didn't seem too much of a solution to me.]

Amane's route, however, was a bit brutal for me to watch. I had no problems with the first two episodes but when they mentioned spoiler[deer meat] I start cringing and could barely go on watching. Then the whole situation with the spoiler[ghouls] just made it much more difficult for me to handle. I managed to watch through the whole thing but that really frightened me; I don't know how I'll handle that part in the games. Overall, Amane's background worked very well but her relationship with Yuuji (and this applies to the others) just doesn't feel so developed in the anime. In addition, that part with the IT worker confused me so I would love some info on that. Or maybe I'll find out once I clear the common route of the game.

I have played the game with the help of torrents and I will say that the anime seems like more of a way to bridge the gap between the first game Grisaia no Kajitsu and its sequel. The game itself has few choices and well over a couple weeks of gameplay if you have a school/work schedule that spans five days of the week for a period of maybe five hours plus other related and nonrelated engagements (100% guesswork). It took me about maybe four weeks to get through and I was on it whenever possible. This said, it's not easy to adapt all that story into anime format but I do believe they got the most important aspects across and bridge the gap between the game and its sequel (Grisaia no Meikyu of which I have yet to find an english patch and so am very pumped for them releasing the game here in the states). The anime makes full use of the VN's scene titles and background music which makes me think it is meant to get people into the VN or at least pander to the fans of the VN. As I was saying earlier the game has few choices but none of them allow for the ending the anime reaches but includes much more story as well as much more of Yuuji's inner dialogue (as the game is in first person) and a number of stories that really bring these characters to life. I won't say it is without flaws but they were never large enough for me to notice if I wasn't expressly looking for them. You ultimately get to make about 4 choices max in the course of one playthrough one of which sets you on a route and the last one is a choice between good and bad end, it took me a week just to reach the first choice but the game contained enough comedy to make it enjoyable as well as more character development than 13 episodes can hope to cover especially seeing as you see more of a character on their route in general. I must also mention that it is an adult VN and sex scenes can be expected, the maximum amount being about six in a route. there're also a number of goodies you can get at the end of each route like an ending theme from each route, wallpapers, etc. Sorry about all that, it's 3:11 AM, I'm a big fan of the game, and my judgement on how long this post should be and how often I get off topic isn't that great. Hope this helps. And yes I am biased but in any case if you're anything like me you'll enjoy it.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

Ok not going to lie the absurdity of this episode surpassed anything the series has done up until this point. How the flying fudge am I supposed to believe that spoiler[Yuuji's plan was in any way logically sound?] Did he factor in how the guy could have ended up justspoiler[ killing Aname as soon as he tied her up in the classroom?] What would he have done then? Did he really somehow spoiler[predict the guy was going to eventually go to the bathroom with her?] How would someone's thought process even conclude to that happening?

He was leaving the entire situation up to chance and he's lucky that the spoiler[idiot fell right into his plan because the writer made him do it.] I can tolerate Tatsuya's over the top OPness since he isn't a normal human at ALL but Yuuji's plans usually just hinge on him accomplishing literally impossible odds or coming up with convoluted/contrived plans that somehow work out.

What's worse is that this arc really overshadowed Aname and Yuuji's relationship development due to the silly flashback. Sure, backstory is nice. But how am I supposed to root for a couple when their moments together have been inconsistent and improperly shown? To be honest this whole hostage situation didn't really serve any purpose in terms of character development either. We know Aname still regrets what happened to her. Why is bringing some spoiler[crazy old pervert] into the story (who the anime wants me to feel sorry for) necessary? Aside from that one small moment with Yumiko it really only served to further show how cool the MC is supposed to be.

Summary:

Sadly this going down as another adaptation that just makes you want to play/read the source material. The main points of each arc are probably shown but the extra detail/development that was left out made me completely indifferent to this anime. The first episode teases you that the series could have been an interesting psychological thriller but was largely overshadowed by harem/ecchi antics that didn't lead to anything fulfilling. I've seen this whole "cute girls put in a dark story" done before done a million times better in other shows namely "Higurashi".

Yuuji is an interesting character with a great sense of humor but the vagueness of his past made it hard to relate to him. I suppose that will be solved in the next season. He very much earns every girl in his harem which is always something I like to see. I could tolerate his stoic nature since unlike Tatsuya he's still actually interested in girls and teases them just as much as they tease him. I'd say he's a perfectly ideal male lead in a harem actually. A real shame the rest of the cast never seemed like a proper match for him.

Sacchi's backstory doesn't even make sense to me. First of all it would have been nice if we were even privy to her condition of doing whatever she's told but i guess this one episode per girl thing is just more signs that there is tons of content being cut out. Though now that i think about it perhaps the maid outfit was subtle foreshadowing that she had this issue in which case I suppose I could give the anime a little credit there.

Secondly why would that accident make her deluded enough to believe she must do whatever she's told? Maybe it would make sense for family but why the hell does she suddenly believe she should listen to EVERYONE? Again there is something being lost in the anime transition most likely because I simply could not relate to how she changed into this crazy girl #4. Transformation scenarios are what truly make a characters backstory hit home for the audience but I feel like this anime really just glosses over everyone's sad tales only giving us the gist of what happened. It's rather frustrating =(.

The dead parents thing just kind of made me groan a bit. I mean it's one thing to have them dead but to conveniently kill them RIGHT after they have a fight with their daughter is cliche as hell. Especially since they just kind of stood in the street and didn't hear that giant truck coming by. Next you'll tell that she's secretly batman right?

Michiru making a comment that she very well KNOWS she shouldn't be making also made no sense to me. Even if Michiru is somewhat of an airhead she isn't totally retarded. If Sacchi has had this condition for a while now I just don't buy her saying something like that.

The fireworks thing was funny though. Ground shaking and we heard a noise that sounds nothing like a firework? Guess that wasn't an explosion after all!

Yumiko's arc seemed rather butchered to me as well since the show wants us to think the father actually cared about his daughter when all he does is spout how she's nothing but a tool to him and even threatens to psychologically torture her before that absurd standoff scene. I don't think the writers knows how to create a sympathetic villain. You can't just shoehorn their change in 2 seconds and expect us to care.

Also her stabbing antics being used for comedic effect seemed to undermine her story. The whole boxcutter thing was supposed to a big deal in her arc but the anime treated as a joke the majority of the series so again I don't see why I should have been bothered to care. Heck they even gave her the classic "tsundere being afraid of lighting so she'll cling to the MC" cliche. Classssssssssy Wink

Everyone one else was passable but still lacked in overall detail. I've been told that the plotholes in Aname's backstory were properly explained in the novel but i still don't see how not just simply making fire would still be out of the question.

Bleh whatever. Overall the series was a giant disappointment especially considering all the hype that was surrounding it. I'll probably watch the second season though only because it focused on Yuuji who despite how stupidly OP he is was the only character I actually liked in the end.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Ok not going to lie the absurdity of this episode surpassed anything the series has done up until this point. How the flying fudge am I supposed to believe that spoiler[Yuuji's plan was in any way logically sound?] Did he factor in how the guy could have ended up justspoiler[ killing Aname as soon as he tied her up in the classroom?] What would he have done then? Did he really somehow spoiler[predict the guy was going to eventually go to the bathroom with her?] How would someone's thought process even conclude to that happening?

It's actually pretty simple. You can't know exactly how some one will act, but you can predict likely outcomes based on their behaviour. spoiler[The man was clearly deranged and out for revenge. His tendency for theatrics made it clear he wouldn't be satisfied with simply shooting Amane. He wanted her to suffer. Him taking Amane to the bathroom with him has no real impact on Yuuji's plan. All that was important was him getting Makina to break that urinal and providing the man with water so he'd need to take a leak.]

leatherhead333 wrote:
What's worse is that this arc really overshadowed Aname and Yuuji's relationship development due to the silly flashback. Sure, backstory is nice. But how am I supposed to root for a couple when their moments together have been inconsistent and improperly shown?

I agree, but spoiler[Yuji and Amane aren't in a relationship by the end of it anyways.]

leatherhead333 wrote:
To be honest this whole hostage situation didn't really serve any purpose in terms of character development either. We know Aname still regrets what happened to her. Why is bringing some spoiler[crazy old pervert] into the story (who the anime wants me to feel sorry for) necessary? Aside from that one small moment with Yumiko it really only served to further show how cool the MC is supposed to be.

Well, it does show how her other friends also have her back and don't think poorly of her because of her past.

leatherhead333 wrote:
Sacchi's backstory doesn't even make sense to me. First of all it would have been nice if we were even privy to her condition of doing whatever she's told but i guess this one episode per girl thing is just more signs that there is tons of content being cut out. Though now that i think about it perhaps the maid outfit was subtle foreshadowing that she had this issue in which case I suppose I could give the anime a little credit there.

There were signs before, such as the shark/bush dog pouch incident.

leatherhead333 wrote:
Secondly why would that accident make her deluded enough to believe she must do whatever she's told? Maybe it would make sense for family but why the hell does she suddenly believe she should listen to EVERYONE? Again there is something being lost in the anime transition most likely because I simply could not relate to how she changed into this crazy girl #4. Transformation scenarios are what truly make a characters backstory hit home for the audience but I feel like this anime really just glosses over everyone's sad tales only giving us the gist of what happened. It's rather frustrating =(.

Trauma can mess you up. Her father died and her mother got put in a coma because she wasn't a "good girl." As such she tries to be a "good girl" so something like that will never happen again. And a "good girl" always does what she's told.
meanderingNekomata

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:

It's actually pretty simple. You can't know exactly how some one will act, but you can predict likely outcomes based on their behaviour. spoiler[The man was clearly deranged and out for revenge. His tendency for theatrics made it clear he wouldn't be satisfied with simply shooting Amane. He wanted her to suffer. Him taking Amane to the bathroom with him has no real impact on Yuuji's plan. All that was important was him getting Makina to break that urinal and providing the man with water so he'd need to take a leak.]

leatherhead333 wrote:
What's worse is that this arc really overshadowed Aname and Yuuji's relationship development due to the silly flashback. Sure, backstory is nice. But how am I supposed to root for a couple when their moments together have been inconsistent and improperly shown?

I agree, but spoiler[Yuji and Amane aren't in a relationship by the end of it anyways.]

leatherhead333 wrote:
To be honest this whole hostage situation didn't really serve any purpose in terms of character development either. We know Aname still regrets what happened to her. Why is bringing some spoiler[crazy old pervert] into the story (who the anime wants me to feel sorry for) necessary? Aside from that one small moment with Yumiko it really only served to further show how cool the MC is supposed to be.

Well, it does show how her other friends also have her back and don't think poorly of her because of her past.

leatherhead333 wrote:

There were signs before, such as the shark/bush dog pouch incident.

leatherhead333 wrote:

Trauma can mess you up. Her father died and her mother got put in a coma because she wasn't a "good girl." As such she tries to be a "good girl" so something like that will never happen again. And a "good girl" always does what she's told.
yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Thank you for that. Also a lot of the hype came from people who played the game and in my opinion the adaptation is in a large part due to the popularity of the game so it makes sense that details would be left out due to the general assumption that you know about the anime due to playing the game or have had it recommended to you by someone who has. Ultimately I believe that it's best to play the game first as it goes much more in depth with its 50 < hours of game play which they did a great job of fitting into such a short season. the game is a bit over 6 gb and the anime only uses background music featured in the game . All episodes of the anime have the same titles as chapters of the arcs and as for whatever fan service, this was adapted from an adult visual novel. I guess what I'm trying to say is that even the anime wants you to play the game. there are key moments that differ in the game, even that last episode wasn't in there but it was necessary after you've beaten the game for it to segue into the next game because it has few choices and (this isn't really a spoiler as it quickly becomes clear when you reach specific choices) has no open or harem end. you must choose a route each time through. This anime provides a means by which yuuji progresses to the next game solving all of their problems and not getting romantically involved with one of the girls. there's a metric tons of story skipped between all the episodes but otherwise the anime would be at least thirty to fifty episodes long and there would be literally no point in buying the game besides making your 6-7 choices and the ability to say I've played the game (well, aside from the extra content you get after beating each route and the ability to go back to specific scenes as you would in the scene select section of a film, but a good game isn't built on bonus content ) so a complete adaptation was never the intention of the creators of any game with any kind of common sense about marketing ever. All considered until someone shows me a better adaptation of an adult visual novel (I don't consider School Days a valid answer as it only encompasses the worst among bad ends and had I believe 25 or 26 episodes, in any case close to double the time ) I will continue to find this to be the best anime adaptation i've ever seen. Also please don't try to argue School Days' case as I also have a personal vendetta against that show and cannot be reasoned with about that. I don't hate fans of School Days' anime but I don't like discussing or thinking about it as anything more than a bad joke that is occasionally relevant. I end my rant here with a side note that I am not upset or angry as I write this, I get that kind of vibe with a lot of rants and don't want to put off that impression. This became a rant because I am bored and have nothing better to do. my views are nowhere near as strong as I make them seem and should not be read as such, they are opinions I am willin to abandon should a reasonable argument be proposed.
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:

Your pretty much right about this Vaisaga but the anime cut out something key which makes that seem like a bit of a leap in logic. And considering what it was its pretty surprising they left it out imo.
VN spoilerspoiler[While her father dies right away her mother ends up in a coma from the accident. Right after her mother gets hit before falling into the coma she starts to say something to Sachi while in the road. All she manages is "Sachi...why" though and THAT is what haunts Sachi. She thought her mother was accusing her.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Labyrinth of Grisaia special is out now. It's 45+ minutes and damn, spoiler[this was quite a dark and twisted ride revolving around Yuuji's past. I feel bad for him specially with what happened to his mother. Luckily, he did have a sister that looked out after him until her own death.]

I'm somewhat disappointed of the spoiler[amount of screen time Asako got here though.] Still, I think it got the point of the storytelling across so I think it was okay overall. Looking forward to the TV series sequel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
So everyone shouting legal issues with showing loli panties, could you still say the same, after shota sex scene IS allowed?
Oh god, the double standars hurt so much.
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
Gah. After seeing how much was skipped in the first season I was hesitant to watch this one. Wanted to wait until I had gone through the rest of the visual novels. Then I saw the episode was out and I caved. Ah well.

This was an interesting and somewhat disturbing episode. The first game gives you most of the pieces to spoiler[Yuji's past] across all the routes but its nice to finally see the picture being completed. I look forward to getting to see more of spoiler[Asako] as the first game never went into much detail when it came to that part of the picture and afterwards. Seems like the rest of the story will continue next episode hopefully from where it left off.

Also ha that ending. spoiler[Well now we know what sort of person would take the time to put shredded papers back together by hand.] Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:26 am Reply with quote
The Labyrinth of Grisaia (special)

Wow, Yuuji's backstory. It might be the most disturbing out of all of them. The major ones being that spoiler[he killed his father to protect his mother, it looked like she felt so terrible over him having to do that that she committed suicide, kind of scarring him also. He got adopted by a paedophile (made to dress like his sister) before killing a rapist and got brutally trained into becoming a terrorist assassin]. And all of that happened in the spoiler[years that his sister went missing], and we still have some more to come.

Perhaps some could see it as a little sick, spoiler[his sister incest feelings towards him], at least on one occasion spoiler[kissing him and such]. But at least she trspoiler[uly loved him, that he was pretty much neglected because he could not match her, tore her up]. If indeed spoiler[she did fake her death to help him], it backfired.

Sometimes it really is good to watch something horrible and characters trying to deal with it.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the special and it was brilliant. I wanna see more. I don't get how this works though. The Eden of Grisaia will premiere on 19th, right? But that is a sequel, while this Labyrinth special was a prequel. So does Eden of Grisaia continue telling us about Yuuji's past? Preview showed that the next episode will be titled The Cocoon of Caprice 1. But Eden thingy airs next. So was the Labyrinth just a 1 episode special? So confusing.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I think Labyrinth was both a prequel and a sequel. Yuji is telling the story in current time, probably after Amane's route and we get his past under the guise of needing info on the guy so JB can promote him. It also introduces us to Olso, who I assume will be the primary antagonist in Eden. He's the dude spoiler[on the boat at the end of Fruit with the buddy who blew up the helicopter]. we'll likely flash back to Yuji's time with Asako while he deals with Olso. that's my guess
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I just watched the special and it was brilliant. I wanna see more. I don't get how this works though. The Eden of Grisaia will premiere on 19th, right? But that is a sequel, while this Labyrinth special was a prequel. So does Eden of Grisaia continue telling us about Yuuji's past? Preview showed that the next episode will be titled The Cocoon of Caprice 1. But Eden thingy airs next. So was the Labyrinth just a 1 episode special? So confusing.

The first VN is basically everything from the first anime season. This season is starting off with the second VN (Labyrinth). Labyrinth had a bunch of afterstory type stuff for each of the girls (which I don't think will make it into the anime. Maybe OVAs.) as well as this backstory for Yuji with him trying to get a promotion. Also this season is apparently covering the third VN too (Eden) which takes place right after Labyrinth. Though I wont say anything other than that about Eden as even the basic description of it on vndb had some spoilers which I learned the hard way.

So for now while we learn Yuji's past its mostly prequel stuff but it sounds like Labyrinth does get into at least some sequel stuff before we reach Eden. And Eden itself is completely new stuff in the present time instead of more past flashbacks.

Even though this was a sort of "episode 0" special im guessing that the start of the actual Eden anime will still be covering Labyrinth material.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 15