• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, September 15-21

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
誤称

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
Wow, it didn't even sell 435 copies? Amazing! I thought was here to save anime.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:43 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It was a silly argument, but you really discredit yourself by completely misrepresenting it

You're speaking as though every person who said something against the show did so for exactly the same reason, even though many different opinions were expressed.

Hellwarden wrote:
Japan, this is why we can't have nice things.

I seriously doubt domestic success was ever the expectation, and it did quite well where it mattered.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote
I think the whole problem with free is that people where taking the people who claim to know how much an original anime will sell before it even airs. It becomes easier to estimate it when its airing, but even then its still hard to predict. Free really could have gone either way.

誤称 wrote:

What are you even talking about? Either way, we'll get numbers on it in a few days.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
Oh Goddammit, Space Dandy is officially a bomb in Japan.

Japan really can't appreciate nor have any sort of interest in what Space Dandy puts on the table. It's far too out there, experimental with it's content and art styles and just not otaku enough in the long run to ever have a hope of breaking out in that market that has ever increasingly narrow routes to success by the looks of it. You either appeal to moe otaku, fujoshi, fans of a specific staffer or brand and/or you include lots of extras and well timed discounts to attract more buyers or you're done plain and simple. Space Dandy pretty much breaks every possible rule of what it takes to sell an anime in Japan thus it comes as little surprise when it does nothing there. Glad it still found it's audience on Cartoon Network though and I'd like to see Funimation continue to fund more anime like this and because I think it's what's going to keep things varied in the future.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Glad it still found it's audience on Cartoon Network though and I'd like to see Funimation continue to fund more anime like this

Has anyone confirmed that, indeed, Funimation helped with the funding of Space Dandy? Let say the two seasons cost $5 millions to make. I find it hard to believe that Funimation ponied up even a quarter of that.

My assumption is that Funimation probably paid a hefty sum for the license of Space Dandy that allowed them to air it on Cartoon Network while it aired in Japan.

Quote:
and because I think it's what's going to keep things varied in the future.

Even if Funimaton helped to fund Space Dandy, we still get at least 2-3 different/interesting anime (e.g. Psycho-Pass, Flowers of Evil) a year without (as far as I know) Western funding.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
誤称 wrote:

What are you even talking about? Either way, we'll get numbers on it in a few days.
Pretty sure he's talking about Dandy, but he typo'ed "445" (the 20th-place count) as "435".

(Though he could be talking about any show that didn't make the top 20 this week.)
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Hellwarden wrote:
Oh Goddammit, Space Dandy is officially a bomb in Japan.

Japan really can't appreciate nor have any sort of interest in what Space Dandy puts on the table.

'Low sales does not mean they can't appreciate an anime, how many does this have to be repeated? It migth be true in this case, but that is only because its a show for the western audience, a lot of shows aimed at the Japanese audience are also not appreciated in America. So I fail to see the problem, its aimed a completely different culture.

Anime still has plenty of variety, but continue believing whatever it is that you want to belief.

Mikeski wrote:
Rederoin wrote:
誤称 wrote:

Pretty sure he's talking about Dandy, but he typo'ed "445" (the 20th-place count) as "435".

(Though he could be talking about any show that didn't make the top 20 this week.)

Space dandy v6 did not come out in this release window(sep 15-21)

Last edited by Rederoin on Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:

"Save anime" is a meme/joke. Usually said in a joking manner to make fun of either pretentious championing of a show or just a show people think will bomb so they make a joke out of it. Everyone pretty much knew Space Dandy was going to bomb from day 1.

Quote:
Japan really can't appreciate nor have any sort of interest in what Space Dandy puts on the table. It's far too out there, experimental with it's content and art styles

What exactly does it put on the table that Japan can't appreciate? Experimental art styles? To what degree? Plenty of experimental art style anime is successful and does well in Japan. You are aware one of the top selling anime of all time is this, right?

People make up the silliest reasons why their show doesn't do well in Japan. Logically, the show was nothing special to Japan. The reason it got so much buzz here was because it was one of the first 'simulcast dubs', and done by the guy who did Cowboy Bebop. The former is totally irrelevant to Japan, and the latter doesn't have much weight like it does in America where a lot of people's first anime was Cowboy Bebop. So when the two main draws of a show are irrelevant, Dandy because just another seasonal anime to add to the pile in Japan
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It was a silly argument, but you really discredit yourself by completely misrepresenting it to "hurr durr women don't buy anime" when the proven success of Kurobas and Utapri (and many, many other titles before them) already eliminated that.

Don't bother, I've been around here long to to know CrowLia and musouka do that in literally every Free thread, usually unprovoked. Don't pay it much attention.

Also anytime someone tries to bring up Free is popular with guys too they go crazy and refuse to believe it despite all the proof Rolling Eyes No use arguing with them. They strawman way too much and try to turn it into some stupid gender war thing. Also calling Haikyuu a fujoshi show is funny because it's a shounen. I remember back in the day one of the arguments was how women liked series aimed at men more than series aimed at women. So citing all these shounen/seinen shows doing well as power for fujoshi is really weird and doesn't exactly prove that wrong or anything.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
It was a silly argument, but you really discredit yourself by completely misrepresenting it to "hurr durr women don't buy anime" when the proven success of Kurobas and Utapri (and many, many other titles before them) already eliminated that.

Don't bother, I've been around here long to to know CrowLia and musouka do that in literally every Free thread, usually unprovoked. Don't pay it much attention.

After all the abuse hurled at them and female fans in general the moment the show was announced and all the people saying those things, I'd say that was plenty "provocation" to mention it in every sales thread about Free.

Quote:

Also anytime someone tries to bring up Free is popular with guys too they go crazy and refuse to believe it despite all the proof Rolling Eyes No use arguing with them. They strawman way too much and try to turn it into some stupid gender war thing.

lololololol
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I also wish all of those zealots who swore Free! was a waste of KyoAni's time and money since it obviously wasn't going to sell (even after S1's rampant success) because women don't buy anime could explain why the female-oriented KyoAni show is starting with 19k while the more conventional KyoAni otaku show (Chuu2) barely passes the 6K mark.

Firstly, because zealots bein' zealots. You're talking about people who burn their blu-rays when their waifu gets a steady boyfriend. Of course any arguments they make will be wildly exaggerated, and dignifying the exaggerated argument with a response is silly. (So allow me to be silly, as well...)

The non-exaggerated version of the argument is solid, though, because...

Secondly, the fujoshi market has one or two shows up for sale at a time, while the otaku market has dozens. Otaku get to be "discerning" (if you wanna call it that); fujoshi just have to buy up the few shows they get. If the fujoshi market was as big as the otaku market, it would behave the same way: two or three big winners a year--of which Free! might still have been one--and a bunch of shows that don't make much money, if any. And, apparently, Chuu S2 (5K BD opening week) ain't no Love Live S2 (82K BD opening week).

So be careful what you wish for; an otaku-sized market will wind up conforming to Sturgeon's Law, and you'll have pretty-boy versions of truly Shakespearean efforts like Kanojo Flag. Laughing

(And 17869 doesn't round up to "19k" if 6134 is "barely 6K". If you're complaining about skewed numbers from the otaku side, it makes your argument stronger to have your own numbers correct.)
Quote:
Plus all those people saying women only buy DVD, wondering if they're still holding on to their silly "aguments" when both the BD and DVD lists are topped by fujoshi-shows

The answer to that is in the numbers. Free's sales were 37.3% DVD, Chuu2's were 12.5% DVD. If we accept "only buy DVD" as the ridiculous straw man that it is, the female market leans DVD-ish far more than the male market does.

Going back to KuroBa S2 set 1 earlier this year, DVD and BluRay split the market about 50/50, with 8671/8581 sales of each in week 1. So Free! is moving fujoshi shows in the right direction (toward bluray and over the 10K line), but otaku shows are still ahead by a lot.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Also anytime someone tries to bring up Free is popular with guys too they go crazy and refuse to believe it despite all the proof Rolling Eyes

I'm curious how one tries to explain Free cosplayers then.

Mikeski wrote:
Quote:
Plus all those people saying women only buy DVD, wondering if they're still holding on to their silly "aguments" when both the BD and DVD lists are topped by fujoshi-shows

The answer to that is in the numbers. Free's sales were 37.3% DVD, Chuu2's were 12.5% DVD. If we accept "only buy DVD" as the ridiculous straw man that it is, the female market leans DVD-ish far more than the male market does.

Going back to KuroBa S2 set 1 earlier this year, DVD and BluRay split the market about 50/50, with 8671/8581 sales of each in week 1. So Free! is moving fujoshi shows in the right direction (toward bluray and over the 10K line), but otaku shows are still ahead by a lot.

Females buying mostly DVD is pretty common knowledge in the anime fandom. Times can and are probably changing, though. BluRay is becoming increasingly more common so fujoshi are probably adapting slowly but surely. But in general, yes, DVDs do tend to appeal to fujoshi more, especially in the past. However, looking at the discrepancy between Haikyuu, it seems the trend is still quite relevant. Free seems to be the exception, no doubt because it's a KyoAni show and has a larger male audience to help supplement the BluRay sales.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
誤称 wrote:

"Save anime" is a meme/joke. Usually said in a joking manner to make fun of either pretentious championing of a show or just a show people think will bomb so they make a joke out of it. Everyone pretty much knew Space Dandy was going to bomb from day 1.

Space dandy comes out this week, not last week. so I don't think he was talking about SD. But all anime that where released last week ranked in the top 20(excluding long-runners/re-releases?). So i'm a bit confused.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
After all the abuse hurled at them and female fans in general the moment the show was announced and all the people saying those things, I'd say that was plenty "provocation" to mention it in every sales thread about Free.

What abuse? I remember people saying they had doubts it would do well due to past market trends. Obviously they were wrong and people liked it in the end, but hindsight is 20/20. Don't know if I'd call disagreeing with people abuse though.

Mikeski wrote:
(And 17869 doesn't round up to "19k" if 6134 is "barely 6K". If you're complaining about skewed numbers from the otaku side, it makes your argument stronger to have your own numbers correct.)

The really weird thing is when people cited KyoAni's other shows like KON or Haruhi selling well/better or other non-KyoAni otaku shows doing much better, those were dismissed as 'exceptions to the rules and not the trends'. But when they cite Chuu2's mediocre sales, suddenly it's some kind of definitive statement of victory... doesn't make any sense.

Fedora-san wrote:
I'm curious how one tries to explain Free cosplayers then.

Exceptions to the rule, probably.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Space dandy comes out this week, not last week. so I don't think he was talking about SD. But all anime that where released last week ranked in the top 20(excluding long-runners/re-releases?). So i'm a bit confused.

So it didn't come out then? I don't really follow the show so I was just going off what people in this thread were saying and they made it sound like it didn't rank on the chart. Fair enough then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3