• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Egypt Arc

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
66% is still a D, Mr. Brando. No, I don't mean D for Dio.

Err. Dio isn't dumb or else he wouldn't be such a villanous villain. In the anime they say that Dio aimed to graduate with top grades in law. He just has big ego, which can take attention away from such detail. This is why no matter how OP Dio became, there always was a possibility of defeating him.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
#839165 wrote:
Quote:
66% is still a D, Mr. Brando. No, I don't mean D for Dio.

Err. Dio isn't dumb or else he wouldn't be such a villanous villain. In the anime they say that Dio aimed to graduate with top grades in law. He just has big ego, which can take attention away from such detail. This is why no matter how OP Dio became, there always was a possibility of defeating him.

It's a joke.
anddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
[removed]

Last edited by anddo on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
Are the letter grades consistent among reviewers? Does it refer to an objective standard or is it completely subjective?

I'm a huge, huge, huge JoJo's fan and I thoroughly enjoyed this series but I hardly think this is deserving of an A+... taking into consideration the sometimes sub-par animation, formulaic parts that arguably didn't age well and the rather choppy pacing of the final fights. Perhaps I was spoiled by the OVA that I watched all those years back.

Perhaps you could shed a little more light as to why it got such a high grade? Was it pure nostalgia?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:01 am Reply with quote
So is Diamond Is Unbreakable next, or are they not bothering with the rest of the series.
Pughhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:27 am Reply with quote
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:17 am Reply with quote
Great season finale. Really tied everything up neatly. Also loved the road roller scene, so awesome!
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Are the letter grades consistent among reviewers? Does it refer to an objective standard or is it completely subjective?

I'm a huge, huge, huge JoJo's fan and I thoroughly enjoyed this series but I hardly think this is deserving of an A+... taking into consideration the sometimes sub-par animation, formulaic parts that arguably didn't age well and the rather choppy pacing of the final fights. Perhaps I was spoiled by the OVA that I watched all those years back.

Perhaps you could shed a little more light as to why it got such a high grade? Was it pure nostalgia?

Well, this should be simple: no, they are not objective, there is no objective standard in a review, if you were the one who wrote this you'd be allowed to put a C grade and write that this was extremely boring. And if I wrote it, it'd be similar to this one.

I agree that the OVAs have an impressive fluid animation but it's not the one Stardust Crusaders needs. If, say, the OVAs were original anime, not adaptation, then it's great, the action is extremely fluid and is very well-done, however, it's not what JoJo exactly needs. JoJo asks for over the top illustrations and poses, weird metaphores, ridiculous situations and the fact that it's almost impossible to explain it to anyone.

In my opinion, DavidPro version exceeds in all of that, and what made it even greater is how much detail and work is put to reference the manga and to catter the manga fans without exaggerating (the photo in the first episode of this arc literally killed everyone). Plus, the voice acting, Takehito as Dio is just priceless even though everyone here is great.

And, in any case, there is another simple answer why DavidPro did it better... Road Roller >>> Oil Truck. In fact, the oil truck is just a huge plot hole, because it explodes before Jotaro stops time, he should have died in that, Jotaro in this case stops time at the right time so he can escape when the Road Roller stomps him and have an extra second in which Dio cannot move and kick him.
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:42 am Reply with quote
Stardust Crusaders was a hell of a ride in animated form. David Production did a great job with the animation and really captured Araki's art-style well. The voice acting and music were great as well.

I wouldn't put Stardust Crusaders in the masterpiece category, but it is certainly entertaining enough to be deemed excellent and shelf-worthy once its released on DVD/Blu-Ray.

I'm hoping that they animate all the way to Part 6, which concludes Jotaro's journey. Parts 4, 5, and 6 would all have to be at least 50 episodes each judging by the pacing of Part 3.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I also think it`s hard to argue this being given a great ranking. Huge fan of the manga and David Productions made such a better version than the manga for the pure enjoyment. Yeah the OVA was a fun watch, but this is what Jojo should be.

The stands stick around from here on out, but I always felt Stardust had more of that fight of the week feel as opposed to the later ones. As the chapters continue the world just gets more and more messed up.

Wasn`t impressed at much of the sound effect additions outside of Silver Chariot and the footsteps as the shadows of the egyptian gods appear during the stairs part. Always a bit bummed when the music gets turned down.
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
So I have been a completely anime-only watcher... until this arc just ended. And, as a total HERETIC, I do have some complaints about the first and second series.

Phantom Blood? It was played too damn straight and not bizarre enough for me. Oh, you have vampires? That's adorably banal. Your muscly guys are not really grabbing me either. Your opening is awesome though. So I will keep watching.

Battle Tendency? Alright, you have officially kicked the "bizarreness" up more than a few notches, but this STILL falls into the boring shounen "only Jojo can save us now!" troupe.

Stardust Crusaders? Well, I grew up in the 80s, so yea, Walk Like An Egyptian was kinda sorta absolutely awesome as soon as your introduced it. Hamon was no longer cool, but these Stand thingies were in. And they totally kick ass.

Not because they were stupidly powerful ( but Jotaro's is, and that's OK because because of what a stoic asshole he is).

But Stands are now ridiculously cool because of how insanely creative they are. I love love LOVE me some Hunter X Hunter asd YES it's officially my favorite shounen series... but I think it's fair to say that the Nen system in that series is honestly a deconstruction of Stand powers.

So anyway, fast forward...Jojo storytelling does a whole lotta stuff wrong, but it's so goddamn sincere and creative that you can't help but caught up in it.

It's so sincere that you (but really, ME) honestly thinks that FS/N-UBW has fewer plot holes than that last Jotaro vs Dio episode of Stardust Crusaders. No, really, I would pay good money to watch Jotaru kick Shirou's ass.

David Productions has done an amazing job with Jojos, given its limited budget and detailed character designs. Not many people would say "WOW, this anime had a great color design" as a defining factor, but David Pro did it. Combined with some surprisingly good angles and scene compositions, and I cannot wait for Part 4.

Oh yea. That's right. I'm not even really a Jojo fanboy/girl. But the end of Stardust Crusaders made me download and start reading all of Part 4. I am a few volumes in and already I love love LOVE it! Stand battles that relay on intelligence? YES PLEASE! Subversion of what we expect from our shounen villains? YEA, we got that too!

It's really fair to say that - thus far - Jojo just keeps getting better and better in execution.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11