• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Show By Rock!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetitePuff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
i just noticed this today, but the broadcast dub for the first episode is up now. hopefully we get a few notes about it in the next review Smile i checked it out for myself and thought it was pretty good. (though i'm not really fond of Chuchu's voice Razz ) here's few things i noted, in case anybody's curious (but i'll spoiler tag it if you're not Smile ):

spoiler[they kept the performance songs in japanese, but when Cyan is singing quietly to herself in her room she's singing in english, and ShinganCrimsonz musical intro and the end of the ep is also in english (can't wait to hear more of what they sound like!). Cyan's name is now pronounced with the proper english pronounciation for the actual word cyan. i think they cut down on the number of times Moa says "pyuru", she still says it a couple times but not after every line anymore (this is just something i lol'd at but the the first thing Syuzo says to Cyan is "Hello Kitty" (wrong Sanrio character buddy! Razz ))]
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I liked episode 8, not groundbreaking but they had the right kind of focus for it. Seems strawberry heart won`t be talking much anymore.
The show feels disjointed and does not look like it is trying to be it`s best, but I still like this show a lot. Hopefully it ends well.

I really feel they would`ve been better off not devoting the middle of the show to Shingan Crimsonz, they never really gave them the proper attention to be equally important as plasmagica and in the end just randomly took the focus off of Cyan for a while.

Was entertained by the Maple ending, but he really should`ve shown up at the end.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

What in the hell did that girl with the water have on her head? At first I thought it was liquid hair, but then I noticed it had eyes... So I guess she's one of the few mumons wearing cat ears who isn't a cat?

Also dug the Celty shout-out by Angelica. Very Happy
yaki-udon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:24 am Reply with quote
I've been enjoying Show by Rock immensely. To be honest, I didn't think I'd like this show because I couldn't even make it through the first episode of K-ON. For some reason, this show reminds me of my all-time favorite anime, Ouran High School Host Club.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
yaki-udon wrote:
I've been enjoying Show by Rock immensely. To be honest, I didn't think I'd like this show because I couldn't even make it through the first episode of K-ON. For some reason, this show reminds me of my all-time favorite anime, Ouran High School Host Club.

Both shows are produced by BONES, so it's possible the series share some of the same creative minds.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Also dug the Celty shout-out by Angelica.

Must've missed this. Although Dagger's (surprisingly freaky) transformation was somewhat Celty-esque.
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 11

What in the hell did that girl with the water have on her head? At first I thought it was liquid hair, but then I noticed it had eyes... So I guess she's one of the few mumons wearing cat ears who isn't a cat?

Those are rabbit ears. Corriente is a rabbit.

The water is a hat.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote

If that's not a Celty homage, I'll eat my helmet. Smile

@ Beatlesfan: is the hat alive? Shocked
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I hate myself for not noticing this when I watched the episode.
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
@ Beatlesfan: is the hat alive? Shocked

Not that I'm aware of, but no one has translated the game's Shizuku Secretmind episodes yet, so I can't know for sure.
amcnulty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

If that's not a Celty homage, I'll eat my helmet. Smile

Ha, good eye! Laughing
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:40 am Reply with quote
Was a bit upset with the dark monster choice again, but the episode was pretty good for a set up.

The hat she wears is a slime, and I haven`t read anything about it talking or anything so can`t help much on if it`s alive or not.

Narratively speaking it makes more sense for the best performers to be spread out through bands, otherwise plasmagica would have been number 1 all along and never have had any challenges. Yes it complicates the three working together, but if Dagger had really just wanted Plasmagica he wouldn`t have gone through all this.

It sounds like Ogasawara is still working for Dagger even after the Criticrista event. That opening line with him giving Uwasa no Petal the tickets was one of the main things I noticed.

Darudayu mech was cool, but seemed to be missing the whole point of not beating Dagger through violent means. They at least gave an obvious answer for why it has to be through music.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Ok. From Corriente's profile in game. The cap is called a schill/sill cap and is filled with liquid oxygen. So, not alive. Is for breathing.

EDIT: Kanji screw up.
Not liquid oxygen 液体酸素, liquid cap/hat 液体帽子
sometimes tablet useage is not the best way to do things.

Last edited by Nyaomix on Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Liquid oxygen?! Ok, I know this is a fantasy world and maybe the physics are different, but talk about brain freeze! Very Happy
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
well, she is extremely pale. Maybe it`s not all from constantly having wet fur.

Ah there we go, kanji screw up. not liquid oxygen, liquid hat. Sometimes looking up radicals can get really complicated.

There is no liquid oxygen in this. Needed to look a bit harder. Though the sentence makes less sense now. The sentence is - There is a reason she needs to have the liquid cap (sill cap) always covering her head. Guess while tired was hoping it actually said something about why. Going to go ahead and actually translate the profile now.

EDIT Translated full profile and no answers can post if you like but not really helping the question. guess i do need to translate the shizuku secret mind stories to see.
amcnulty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for following along with my reviews this season, everyone! I know there were some big fans of the franchise here, and as someone who'd never played the game before watching, I appreciated all of the information you all shared.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7